Everton have entered the transfer race to sign Jesse Lingard this summer after West Ham’s most recent offer underwhelmed the 29-year-old midfielder.
Lingard became a free agent after his contract at Manchester United expired and had been heavily linked with a return to the Hammers after a stellar loan-spell last season.
However, West Ham’s latest offer fell below Lingard’s £150k-a-week wage demands and the midfielder is now said to be open to alternative clubs, according to TalkSPORT.
Everton have registered an interest in signing Lingard as they believe he could replace Richarlison – who left the club to join Tottenham on a £60million deal.
Initial talks between Lingard – who is said to be keen to stay in his native north west – and the Merseyside club have taken place.
Toffees boss Frank Lampard is also eager to push a deal over the line as Lingard would be a significant signing in a time of financial uncertainty for the club.
Everton’s interest in Lingard will come as a blow to West Ham – who have been negotiating a deal with Lingard for the past couple of weeks.
David Moyes is desperate to bring Lingard back to West Ham on a permanent basis following his impressive six-month loan spell in the second half of the 2020-2021 season.
West Ham approached Lingard at the end of the season with a full-time deal after he scored nine goals in 16 matches. However, their opening bid was rejected.
As a result, they tabled a secondary offer and sent the 29-year-old a contract on Sunday afternoon. Lingard is reviewing the deal while away on holiday but he is somewhat underwhelmed with what he has been presented with.
However, Lingard’s priority looking ahead to next season is pitch time. Having revived his career at West Ham, Lingard is eager to book himself a place on the plane to the World Cup campaign later this year. (DailyMail)