Fleeing Kano housewife, who killed two children, arrested (Punch)
Crack detectives from the Kano State Police Command, on Saturday, arrested a 26-year-old housewife, Hauwa Habibu, who allegedly stabbed her two biological children to death in Kano.
In a press statement, the command’s spokesman, DSP Abdullahi Kiyawa, disclosed that on October 3, 2020 around 11.30am, the police received information that Habibu, who lives in Diso quarters, Gwale Local Government Area of Kano, attacked and killed her two children, six-year-old Irfan Ibrahim and three-year-old Zuhura Ibrahim.
Kiyawa claimed that the suspect also injured her nephew, 10-year-old Aisha Sadiq, before fleeing the scene.
According to the statement, the state Commissioner of Police, Habu Sani, ordered a team of detectives to comb the metropolis and arrest the fleeing Habibu, within 24 hours. Read more
How 13-year-old girl was raped to death in Lagos (DailyTrust)
A 24-year old man, Ajom Brimcewil Tabi, has been arrested for allegedly abducting and raping a 13-year old girl, Favour Ikechukwu to death in Ejigbo, Lagos State.
It was gathered that Tabi carried out the act alongside his friends.
Police arrest man, hunt 2 others who raped teenager to death in Lagos
Man, 60, rapes girl, 5, in Bauchi
The police said the suspect along with two others, now at large, gang-raped the girl in a room and left her to bleed to death.
The police said while Tabi is being detained at the Homicide Section of the State Criminal Investigation and Intelligence Department (SCIID) Panti Street Yaba, efforts were ongoing to arrest the fleeing members of the gang.
Lagos State Police Public Relations Officer, Muyiwa Adejobi, told our correspondent that the suspect would soon be charged with murder. Read more
Woman bathes maid with hot water for licking baby’s milk (Punch)
Eight-year-old Chiamaka Oha is battling for her life at the General Hospital, Uga, Anambra State, after she was allegedly bathed with hot water by her employer, Ogochukwu Anichukwu, for licking her baby’s milk.
PUNCH Metro learnt that the victim, who hails from Ugwueme community in the Awgu Local Government Area of Enugu State, lived with her employer and the husband at their house at Nanka community, in the Orumba North LGA of Anambra State.
It was alleged that Anichukwu on September 25, 2020, poured hot water on the victim for licking her baby’s milk and shut the door against her to prevent people from seeing the injuries she sustained from the attack. Read more
Enugu Disco reverts to old tariff (Thisday)
The Enugu Electricity Distribution Plc (EEDC) said it has reversed to the old electricity tariff following an order issued by the Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission (NERC) for the power distribution companies to suspend the Multi Year Tariff Order (MYTO) 2020 for a period of 14 days.
The suspension order is from September 28, 2020 to October 11, 2020.
The Order, which was signed by NERC Chairman, James Momoh and Commissioner, Legal, Licensing & Compliance, Dafe Akpeneye, was in compliance with a joint communique issued by the federal government and the labour Unions, where it was agreed that the recently reviewed tariff be suspended by the Commission for 14 days to further consult and finalize negotiations between the parties. Read more
Outrage grows over SARS menace, Osinbajo, others condemn killings, arrests, extortion (Punch)
There was outrage across the country on Sunday over the harassment, extortion and extra-judicial killings of innocent Nigerians by operatives of the Federal Special Anti-Robbery Squad, one of the units of the Nigeria Police Force.
Vice-President Yemi Osinbajo; the Deputy Senate President, Ovie Omo-Agege; and the Minister of State of State for Labour and Employment, Festus Keyamo, were among Nigerians who expressed dissatisfaction over the conduct of F-SARS operatives, describing it as unacceptable.
The Inspector-General of Police, Mohammed Adamu, had earlier, in a swift reaction to the extra-judicial killings and harassment of innocent Nigerians, banned personnel of the Federal Special Anti-Robbery Squad from engaging in routine patrols, stop-and-search, mounting of roadblocks and traffic checks with immediate effect. Read more
IPPIS: NASU, SSANU begin nationwide strike today (DailyTrust)
The Non-Academic Staff Union on Sunday directed all its members to proceed on a 14-day warning strike today over alleged inconsistencies of the Integrated Payroll and Personnel Information System.
The union also cited non-payment of arrears of national minimum wage, non-payment of earned allowances, among others.
It alleged corrupt practices within the university system.
SSANU President Comrade Samson Ugwoke, in a statement, also alleged usurpation of headship of the non-teaching units by academic staff “in clear violation of conditions of service and establishment procedures.” Read more
Kebbi receives rescued woman as varsity resumes today (Guardian)
Kebbi State Government has received the mother of four, who was rescued from bandits in Keffi Council of Nasarawa State.
Receiving the victim on behalf of the state government, the Chairman of Bagudo Council, Mohammed Zagga, said the women would be handed over to the district head of Tsamiya where she came from.
Meanwhile, Kebbi State University of Science and Technology (KSUST), Aliero, will resume today for continuation of first semester 2019/2020 academic session.
The Director of Academic Planning, Dr. Abubakar Yakubu, told newsmen yesterday that the university would resume lectures/revisions from October 5 to 17, 2020, while October 19 to November 7 would be for first semester examination. Read more
Modular refinery owners back oil subsidy removal, says national chairman (Nation)
Domestic Refinery Owners Association of Nigeria (DROAN) has expressed support for Federal Government’s removal of oil subsidy.
DROAN National Chairman Godwin Sunday stated this at the weekend at a media briefing in Uyo, the Akwa Ibom State capital.
Sunday said the association supported President Muhammadu Buhari’s “courageous stand” in ending the subsidy regime.
The DROAN national chairman urged stakeholders in the oil industry and other Nigerians to support the policy and the establishment of modular refineries in the country. Read more
NCC disowns fraudulent Facebook account (Vanguard)
The Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC) has cautioned the general public to be on the lookout for some fraudulent element using a cloned Facebook account to defraud unsuspecting users.
The Commission, in a statement signed by the Director, Public affairs, Dr Ikechukwu Adinde said it deemed it fit to inform members of the public that upon detecting the fake Facebook account with the name “NIGERIA COMMUNICATION COMMISSION OFFICIAL WEBSITE”, it is fake and fraudulent.
”The Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC) wishes to draw the attention of the general public, especially telecoms consumers to a fraudulent and cloned Facebook profile account opened with a name similar to the Commission’s official name on the social media site. Read moi
World Bank chief reiterates call to forgive poor countries’ debts (Aljazeera)
The coronavirus pandemic could trigger a debt crisis in some countries, so investors must be ready to grant some form of relief that could also include debt cancellation, World Bank President David Malpass was quoted as saying.
“It is evident that some countries are unable to repay the debt they have taken on. We must, therefore, also reduce the debt level. This can be called debt relief or cancellation,” Malpass told Handelsblatt business daily in an interview published on Sunday.
“It is important that the amount of debt is reduced by restructuring,” Malpass added. Read more
Kenzo Takada: Japanese designer dies from COVID-19 (BBC)
The Japanese founder of the Kenzo fashion brand has died from Covid-19, according to a spokesman for the firm quoted by French media.
Kenzo Takada died at the American Hospital in Paris at the age of 81, his statement says.
Known for his colourful graphic and floral prints, he was the first Japanese designer to gain prominence on the Paris fashion scene.
He settled in France in the 1960s and spent the rest of his career there.
With his “nearly 8,000 designs”, the Japanese designer “never stopped celebrating fashion and the art of living”, his spokesman said. Read more
Doctors say Trump takes steroid dexamethasone after oxygen dip (Aljazeera)
The medical team treating Donald Trump, who tested positive for the novel coronavirus on Thursday, has said the president has “continued to improve” and could return to the White House as soon as Monday while adding he had been given oxygen and the steroid dexamethasone after his blood oxygen level dipped in recent days.
The medical team addressed reporters on Sunday from Walter Reed National Military Medical Center, where Trump was hospitalised on Friday following the diagnosis, which came just more than a month before the presidential election on November 3.
“Since we spoke last, the president has continued to improve. As with any illness, there are frequent ups and downs over the course,” Trump’s physician Dr Sean Conley said. Read more
Australian woman discovers headache due to tapeworm larvae in brain (NYPost)
A 25-year-old Australian woman was found to have tapeworm larvae in her brain — after experiencing a headache for more than a week, researchers said.
The unidentified woman, a barista who never traveled overseas, is the first case of the disease contracted in Australia, according to a new study in The American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene.
For seven years, the woman had experienced migraines two or three times a month that would subside with prescribed migraine medication, CNN reported.
But a recent headache that lasted more than a week and caused visual problems led her to seek treatment again. Read more
UK records another huge rise in cases as 22,961 people test positive (Metro)
The UK has seen another surge in coronavirus cases, as a further 22,961 positive cases were recorded in the past 24 hours – bringing the total number of UK cases to over 500,000. Another 33 people died within 28 days of testing positive for Covid-19, according to official figures.
It comes after a huge spike of 12,872 new cases yesterday was blamed on a failure in the UK counting system that will affect the total number of cases reported over the coming days.
Public Health England said its investigation into a technical issue with the Government’s coronavirus dashboard identified more than 15,000 cases which were not included in the daily reports between September 25 and October 2. Read more
New Caledonia referendum: South Pacific territory rejects independence from France (BBC)
People in the French overseas territory of New Caledonia have narrowly rejected independence from France in a referendum.
The archipelago voted to remain French with 53.26% of votes, according to final results reported by AFP news agency. Turnout – at 85.6% – was high.
In a similar vote two years ago, the margin was slightly wider, with 56.7% voting to stay French.
New Caledonia has been a French territory for nearly 170 years.
French President Emmanuel Macron welcomed the result as a “sign of confidence in the republic”, adding he also felt “humility” in view of the results. Read more
Ian Ziering still close with ‘Beverly Hills, 90210’ co-stars after 30 years (PageSix)
Thirty years after “Beverly Hills, 90210” first aired, Ian Ziering remains close with his cast mates.
In honor of the iconic series’ big anniversary, Ziering — who played Steve Sanders — described the evolution of his relationships with co-stars including Tori Spelling, with whom he bonds over parenting, and Shannen Doherty, who is battling Stage 4 cancer.
“I’ve been close to Tori for 30 years now. She’s got, I think, five kids now and counting, who knows? She loves being a mom,” the 56-year-old said of Spelling, who is the mom of five children with husband Dean McDermott.
Ziering, who is dad to 9-year-old daughter Mia and 7-year-old daughter Penna with estranged wife Erin Ludwig, praised Spelling’s parenting prowess and how far they’ve come since the show’s premiere. Read more
Ana de Armas almost passed on “Knives Out” over ‘stereotypical’ role (Metro)
Ana de Armas has revealed that she almost passed on playing Marta Cabrera in Knives Out, as she believed it would be a ‘stereotypical’ Latina character.
The actress notably portrayed the role of the nurse and close friend of Harlan Thrombey (Christopher Plummer) in the 2019 mystery movie, and recalled the character being described as ‘Latina, caretaker, pretty’ when she went to audition. Ana initially wasn’t sure if she wanted to play such a role, but later changed her mind.
Speaking to Flaunt magazine, she explained: ‘Things could have been very different. I really pay attention to what that little description is. Read more
Why Arsenal’s Saka chose England over Nigeria – Doherty (DailyTrust)
The founder/CEO, Pathway Sports, David Doherty has said Bukayo Saka ditched the Super Eagles because Nigeria didn’t contribute to his development.
It will be recalled that the 19-year-old Saka was included in the Three Lions squad for their friendly with Wales and the Nations League fixtures against Belgium and Denmark.
According to Doherty, he is baffled at Nigerians who have expressed their disappointment over the youngster’s decision to play for England that nurtured and is developing him to be the player he is.
It will be noted that Saka has played for England’s U-16, U-17, U-18, U-19 and 21 between 2017 and 2020. Read more
AFCON 2023: Ivory Coast opens 60,000-seater stadium (Vanguard)
Ivory Coast inaugurated Saturday its new 60,000-seat Olympic stadium, built with the help of China, in Ebimpe, on the outskirts of Abidjan, in preparation for the African Cup of Nations soccer in 2023.
The ceremony, with a great show of dance and music, took place in the presence of 50,000 people, according to the organizers – including Ivorian President Alassane Ouattara, who is seeking a controversial third term in the October 31 presidential election.
The president said he was “proud and happy of this Sino-Ivorian cooperation” for “this architectural jewel”. Read more
Alex Telles: Manchester United make breakthrough in talks over Porto full-back (BBC)
Manchester United are set to sign Brazil full-back Alex Telles after agreeing a deal with Porto.
United had been struggling to finalise terms with the Portuguese club but have now agreed a fee of 15m euros (£13.6m) plus 2m euros (£1.8m) in add-ons.
Telles, 27, will have his medical on Monday before signing a four-year contract with option of a further year.
Telles, who has won one cap for Brazil, has scored 21 goals in 127 games for Porto.
United boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer wants to strengthen his options on the left side and feels Telles will be a useful addition. Read more
Bundesliga: Lewandowski scores four in Bayern’s 4-3 win against Hertha (Punch)
Robert Lewandowski netted four goals – including the decisive added-time penalty – as defending Bundesliga champions Bayern Munich survived a fight-back by Hertha Berlin to seal a nervy 4-3 win on Sunday.
Lewandowki, voted European footballer of the year on Friday, scored twice to put Bayern 2-0 up early in the second half only for Hertha to score three times to make it 3-3 with time almost up.
However, the Poland hot-shot then converted a 93rd-minute spot kick to seal the win which lifts Bayern to fourth in the table. Read more
Tottenham score six to humiliate 10-man Man Utd (BBC)
Jose Mourinho returned to Old Trafford and humiliated his former club as Tottenham thrashed Manchester United to record a famous victory.
Son Heung-min and Harry Kane scored twice, with Tanguy Ndombele and Serge Aurier also on target as 10-man United suffered a defeat on a par with their 6-1 thrashing at home by Manchester City in 2011.
It meant it was not only the heaviest defeat since Ole Gunnar Solskjaer took temporary charge in December 2018, but also the largest United have suffered since Ed Woodward took over as executive vice-chairman in 2013. Read more
Marcus Rashford apologises after Manchester United’s defeat to Tottenham (Metro)
Marcus Rashford has issued an apology to Manchester United supporters following the club’s 6-1 defeat to Tottenham on Sunday. United took an early lead through Bruno Fernandes’ penalty but Spurs were 4-1 up by half time while Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s side were reduced to 10 men following Anthony Martial’s red card. Spurs then scored twice without reply after the break to pile more misery on United, who have registered just three points from their opening three games. Read more
Villa score seven to embarrass champions Liverpool (BBC)
Ollie Watkins scored a first-half hat-trick and Jack Grealish had a hand in five goals as Aston Villa deservedly stunned champions Liverpool with one of the most unbelievable scorelines in Premier League history.
Former Brentford striker Watkins had never scored a Premier League goal before kick-off and 45 minutes later he had the match ball, as Villa took advantage of Liverpool’s high line and individual mistakes.
Villa captain Grealish scored their final two goals after assisting three. Read more