Lagos government invited military to Lekki Toll gate, says Army (Guardian)
The Nigerian Army has finally broken its silence on the Lekki Tollgate imbroglio in Lagos, exonerating its soldiers from shooting at the #EndSARS protesters last Tuesday.
The army described the allegation of killing of protesters by soldiers as unfounded, attributing it to the handiwork of mischief-makers.
It would be recalled that the protest took a violent twist after soldiers reportedly stormed the toll plaza, turned off the light and allegedly fired sporadically at peaceful protesters.
However, the 81 Division of the Nigerian Army, Victoria Island, Lagos, where the soldiers were deployed from, declared that its operatives never opened fire on the protesters. Read more
SARS men seized, sold my properties, man tells panel (Punch)
The Panel of Inquiry and Restitution set up by the Lagos State Government to look into cases of human rights abuse by men of the recently-disbanded Special Anti-Robbery Squad opened hearing on Tuesday with four cases.
First was the case of one Mr Okoliagu Abunike, a father of five, who narrated to the retired Justice Doris Okuwobi-led panel how he was in 2012 arrested by policemen from Ojo Police Station at the instance of his boss, who accused him of embezzling company’s funds.
According to him, the cops at the Ojo Police Station, after beating and humiliating him by tearing his clothes and parading him round Alaba Market, handed him over to SARS men, who detained him at Ikeja for 47 days. Read more
#EndSARS: Smugglers take over Mile2/Seme route (Vanguard)
Smugglers are having a free ride along the Mile2/Seme Expressway, Lagos, transporting large quantities of imported rice, frozen poultry products, vegetable oil, fish and other banned imports into the country.
Vanguard Maritime Report gathered that as a result of the #EndSARS protest by Nigerian youths across the nation and the subsequent civil unrest, officers and men of the Nigeria Customs Service, NCS, the Police, the Nigeria Immigration Service, NIS, and other security services have vacated the route.
Some persons of questionable character and motives under the guise of the civil unrest, had attacked the security agents especially the Police. Read more
Six policemen, four civilians killed in Lagos’ bloody week of violence (Guardian)
The Lagos State Police Command yesterday paraded 520 suspects in connection with looting of shopping malls and private businesses in Lagos, just as it disclosed that 10 persons, comprising six policemen and four civilians, were killed, and 38 cops injured during violent protests that erupted last week in the state.
The police also said 16 police stations were burnt and 13 vandalised by hoodlums who hijacked the peaceful #EndSARS protests across the state, while it lost 58 patrol vehicles to the hoodlums. Read more
Sanwo-Olu sounds tough over inter-tribal clashes in Lagos (Punch)
The Governor of Lagos State, Mr Babajide Sanwo-Olu, has bemoaned the destruction that trailed a clash between the Yoruba and the Hausa in the Fagba, Ifako-Ijaiye area of the state.
Sanwo-Olu, during an assessment tour of the area on Tuesday, however, vowed to deal decisively with the those involved in inter-tribal clashes.
He assured residents who were affected by the mayhem that the state government would alleviate their pains.
The governor was accompanied on the tour by the Deputy Governor, Dr Obafemi Hamzat; Secretary to the State Government, Mrs Folasade Jaji; Special Adviser to the Governor on Education, Mr Tokunbo Wahab; and Head of Service, Mr Hakeem Muri-Okunola. Read more
Lekki Shooting: I’m not dead! Lady cries out after seeing her alleged ‘RIP picture‘ on social media (Vanguard)
A lady allegedly killed by the Nigerian Army during the shooting that greeted the #ENDSARS protest at Lekki Tollgate, Lagos, said she’s still alive and hearty.
She said the rumours of her death was a purported attack by unscrupulous elements who hid under the End SARS protest to tarnish her image.
Security agents had allegedly shot at #ENDSARS protesters at the Lekki Tollgate on Tuesday, October 20, leading to yet-to-be ascertained number of casualties. Read more
FG declares Thursday public holiday to mark Eidul-Mawlid (Tribune)
The Federal Government has declared Thursday, October 29, 2020, as public holiday to mark this year’s Eidul-Mawlid celebration in commemoration of the birth of the Holy Prophet Muhammad.
Minister of Interior, Ogbeni Rauf Aregbesola, who made the declaration on behalf of the Federal Government, congratulated the Muslim faithful both at home and abroad for witnessing this year’s occasion.
Aregbesola in a statement by the Director, Press and Public Relations, Mr Mohammed Manga, on Tuesday in Abuja enjoined the Muslim faithful to imbibe the spirit of love, patience and perseverance which are the virtues of the Holy Prophet Muhammad, adding that doing so would guarantee peace and security in the country. Read more
The Economist endorses Okonjo-Iweala to lead WTO (Thisday)
An influential London-based magazine, The Economist, has expressed its preference for Nigeria’s candidate, Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, for the position of director-general of the World Trade Organisation (WTO).
In its latest editorial on the race for the leadership of the global trade body, the media outfit highlighted the qualities of the former Nigeria finance minister, saying her political clout would be beneficial to the WTO.
Jostling with Okonjo-Iweala for the WTO job is South Korea’s Minister of Trade, Yoo Myung-hee. A winner is due to be announced between today and November 7, but support seems to be coalescing around Okonjo-Iweala. Read more
Reps caution FG over insistence on anti-social media law (Punch)
The Federal Government has warned that Nigeria is sitting on a keg of gunpowder if the issue of fake news is not urgently addressed, insisting on regulation of the social media in the country.
The House of Representatives Committee on Information, National Orientation, Ethics and Values, however, warned against clamping down on free speech and press freedom.
The Minister of Information and Culture, Alhaji Lai Mohammed, while appearing before the committee to defend the 2021 budget proposed by his ministry, noted that the next war to be fought in the country and across the world might be t the social media. Read more
Police officer raiding illegal cockfight gets killed by rooster (BBC)
A Philippine police officer has been killed by a rooster during a raid on an illegal cockfight in the province of Northern Samar.
Lieutenant Christine Bolok was struck by the rooster’s gaff – a razor-sharp steel blade which is typically attached to the leg of fighting roosters.
The blade cut his left thigh, slicing his femoral artery. He was rushed to hospital and declared dead on arrival.
Cockfighting has been banned during the virus outbreak. Read more
Gwen Stefani announces engagement to Blake Shelton (DailyStar)
Singer Gwen Stefani has announced her engagement to Blake Shelton after five years of dating.
The blonde bombshell, 51, shared a snap of herself holding up her hand to show off her ring as she kissed Blake in an adorable snap.
She simply captioned the snap: “@blakeshelton yes please! gx.”
Blake shared the same picture as he added: “Hey @gwenstefani thanks for saving my 2020… And the rest of my life.. I love you. I heard a YES!” Read more
Polls open in Tanzania’s general election (BBC)
Polls have opened in Tanzania’s general election, following nationwide reports of restricted internet access plus the arrest of an opposition leader in the semi-autonomous islands of Zanzibar.
Voters have until 16:00 local time (13:00 GMT) to cast their ballot.
Results are expected to be announced within one week.
President John Magufuli, whose Chama Cha Mapenduzi (CCM) party has ruled Tanzania since independence in 1961, is seeking a second term in office. Read more
“Grey’s Anatomy” alum Jessica Capshaw returns to acting in “Holidate” (Metro)
Jessica Capshaw is finally back on our screens after her character Dr. Arizona Robbins left Grey’s Anatomy in 2018. And the actress has revealed why her new Netflix rom-com Holidate turned out to be the perfect project for her return to acting. The film follows singletons Sloane (Emma Roberts) and Jackson (Luke Bracey) after they meet on one particularly bad Christmas and make a pact to be each other’s ‘holidate’ for every festive occasion throughout the next year. Read more
Philadelphia rocked by fresh unrest after police shooting (BBC)
Philadelphia police have said hundreds of looters are ransacking businesses in the city in a second night of unrest after police fatally shot a black man.
Police reinforcements as well as the National Guard have been deployed. Officials say 30 officers were hurt in the first night of clashes.
Police say officers opened fire on Walter Wallace, 27, when he ignored orders to drop a knife he was holding. Read more
Emily Ratajkowski strips completely naked to flaunt blossoming baby bump (DailyStar)
Model Emily Ratajkowski gave her fans some happy news as she announced she is expecting her first child.
Now that the lid has been lifted, the former Blurred Lines star is making up for lost time sharing an abundance of beautiful pregnancy snaps.
Wanting to share her flourishing baby bump with the world, the 29-year-old took to Instagram to showcase her naked body.
Ditching all of her clothes – except for a white pair of ankle high socks – she proudly paraded her blooming baby bump. Read more
Nigeria’s Oto ‘Joe Boy’ Joseph battles Ghanaian for CBC title (Guardian)
One of Nigeria’s reigning boxers, Oto ‘Joe Boy’ Joseph, who was stripped of his African Boxing Union (ABU) lightweight title in controversial circumstances last year, will face a Ghanaian opponent for the Commonwealth Boxing Council (CBC) title in December.
Joseph, who hails from Akwa Ibom State, is one of the most reverred boxers in Nigeria, having ruled the ABU lightweight category for many years.
With a record of 16-0, including seven knockouts, Joseph dumped the Nigerian Boxing Board of Control (NBB of C) some months ago and took his boxing trade to neighbouring West African country, Ghana, alleging that he was being frustrated by some officials back home. Read more
Zidane hanging on to job as Real Madrid draw again (DailyStar)
Real Madrid boss Zinedine Zidane may be hanging on by a thread at the Bernabeu despite coming from behind to draw with Borussia Monchengladbach.
Real had been beaten by Shakhtar Donetsk in their opening Champions League match and looked to be heading to defeat again against the Bundesliga side.
With just three minutes remaining, Los Blancos were 2-0 down but late strikes from Karim Benzema and Casemiro rescued a point.
Reports last week had suggested that Zidane had just two matches to save his job at the La Liga giants. Read more
Man City cruise past Marseille to maintain winning start (BBC)
Manchester City continued their perfect start to the Champions League group stage with a comfortable victory at Marseille.
The visitors dominated from the outset, with Ferran Torres opening the scoring after Kevin de Bruyne got in behind the Marseille defence and squared for a tap-in.
Oleksandr Zinchenko clipped the outside of a post with a neat strike from the edge of the box as City pushed to get a second before half-time.
Marseille rarely troubled Ederson in the City goal. Nemanja Radonjic’s speculative effort from 30 yards was easily saved, while Florian Thauvin hit the outside of a post after the break, although Ederson had it covered. Read more
Cristiano Ronaldo tests positive for Covid-19 for third time this month (DailyStar)
Cristiano Ronaldo has tested positive for Covid-19 for the third time this month and will miss Juventus’ Wednesday clash with Barcelona.
The Portuguese star hoped to be able face foe Lionel Messi in the Champions League clash.
But a third positive test means he will continue isolating away from his family and team-mates.
Ronaldo tested positive last week and the week prior to that, which will worry the star’s millions of followers. Read more
Christian Coleman banned for 2 years for missing drugs test (BBC)
World 100m champion Christian Coleman has been banned for two years after missing three drugs tests.
The 24-year-old American, who is suspended from 14 May 2020, will miss the postponed Tokyo Olympics next year.
Coleman won 100m gold at the World Championships in Doha in 2019.
Representative Emanuel Hudson confirmed the indoor 60m world record holder will appeal against the Athletics Integrity Unit’s (AIU) ruling to the Court of Arbitration for Sport (Cas).
Hudson described the decision as “unfortunate”, adding: “Mr Coleman has nothing further to say until such time as the matter can be heard in the court of jurisdiction.” Read more
Jurgen Klopp provides Fabinho injury update after Liverpool’s win over Midtjylland (Metro)
Jurgen Klopp has confirmed that Fabinho will have a scan on the hamstring injury he suffered in Liverpool’s 2-0 win over Midtjylland – but says the makeshift centre-back felt he could have carried on at Anfield. Though Second-half goals from Diogo Jota and Mohamed Salah ensured Liverpool’s 100 per cent record in the Champions League remained intact this season, the concern surrounding Fabinho put a slight dampener on the hosts’ evening. Fabinho has stepped up superbly in the absence of Virgil van Dijk but pulled up in the 28th minute and appeared in some discomfort as he received treatment on the pitch. Read more