Lagos shifts diversion point on Third Mainland Bridge (Punch)
The Lagos State Government has announced a shift of the current diversion point on the Third Mainland bridge to a closer position for traffic coming from Iyana Oworosoki going to Adekunle or Lagos Island.
According to a statement issued on Sunday by the State Commissioner for Transportation, Dr Frederic Oladeinde, the adjustment was to allow the removal, replacement and casting of joint No. 23 in addition to the two other joints (16 and 17) that are presently being worked on by the Federal Ministry of Works contractor.
This is in order to accomplish the planned reopening of the 3rd Mainland Bridge on February 22.
Oladeinde explained that there would be a two-week temporary change in traffic flow from midnight on January 15 to midnight January 29. The current traffic status would resume at 00.01hrs on January 30. Read more
Olanrewaju, Agbaje advise Sanwo-Olu on selection of LASU VC (Guardian)
Former Minister of Communications, Maj-Gen. Tajudeen Olanrewaju (rtd.) and Lagos State governorship candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in 2019 election, Mr Jimi Agbaje, have called on Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu to ensure that due process is followed in the selection of a new Vice Chancellor for Lagos State University (LASU), Ojo.
In separate interactions with The Guardian yesterday, Olarenwaju and Agbaje expressed dismay that a state as sophisticated as Lagos was finding it difficult to select a VC for its university.
Meanwhile, an insider source said the normal procedure was that the state must first place an advertisement for the vacancy of the VC, establishing the criteria the applicants must have. Read more
Lagos closes Airport Bridge over tanker fire (Punch)
The Lagos State Government has shut down Airport Bridge at Toyota on the Oshodi-Isolo Expressway over a recent tanker fire that affected the bridge.
The state Commissioner for Transportation, Dr Frederic Oladeinde, in a statement he personally signed on Sunday, said the closure of the bridge to vehicular movement was to enable the government to conduct structural engineering tests on the bridge.
He noted that alternative routes had been created for motorists pending the outcome of the tests and the reopening of the bridge to traffic.
According to Oladeinde, motorists from Mile 2 to Cele on Apapa-Oshodi Expressway will make use of Aiye and Osolo Way to Asa Afariogun through 7&8 to access International Airport Road. Read more
FG to shut Third Mainland Bridge on Wednesday (Guardian)
On Wednesday, January 13, the Federal Government will shut down Lagos Island-bound traffic on the Third Mainland Bridge for two weeks.
This is part of the ongoing rehabilitation being carried out on the longest bridge in West Africa.The Federal Controller, Works Lagos, Popoola Olukayode, announced this in a statement at the weekend, entitled: ‘Shifting of current diversion point towards Oworosonki and closing of the Lagos Island-bound carriageway, including the Adekunle slip Road.’
Olukayode, who also notified the Lagos State government through the Ministry of Transportation, called for cooperation and understanding from the public, particularly, motorists. Read more
Insurgency: Abiodun urges Nigerians to provide useful information to security agencies (Vanguard)
Ogun State Governor, Prince Dapo Abiodun has said the war against insurgency can only be successful if credible and adequate information were provided to armed forces and other security agencies by members of the public.
Abiodun stated this at a Special Church Service marking this year’s Armed Forces Remembrance Day Celebration, held at the Cathedral of St. Peter, Ake, Abeokuta.
The governor represented by the Speaker of the State House of Assembly, Olakunle Oluomo, noted that the insurgency being waged by the Boko Haram and other insurgent forces would come to an end when accurate intelligence gets to the military high command. Read more
Contestants kick as Obiozor emerges Ohanaeze Ndigbo president (Punch)
A former Nigerian ambassador to United States, Israel and Cyprus, Prof. George Obiozor, has emerged the President-General of Ohanaeze Ndigbo.
Obiozor emerged in an election held at Dan Anyim Stadium in Owerri, the Imo State capital.
This was even as other candidates for the position boycotted the election.
Chief Jackson Omenazu, who spoke with newsmen at the venue of the election, declared the process that brought Obiozor to power as fraudulent. Read more
Nigeria has a shortage of 277,537 teachers in basic education sector, says UBEC (Vanguard)
The Executive Secretary, Universal Basic Education Commission (UBEC), Dr Hamid Bobboyi, has revealed that Nigeria had a shortage of 277, 537 teachers at the basic level, according to a National Personnel Audit (NPA) it conducted on Public and Private Basic Education Schools in the country.
In a statement issued by the commission’s Head of Public Relations and Protocol, Mr David Apeh, and made available to newsmen, in Abuja, on Sunday, Bobboyi said that the NPA indicated that while 73 per cent of those teaching in public schools were qualified teachers, only 53 per cent of teachers in private schools were qualified to teach.
“Our hope is that with the current reforms that are being put in place where you attract the best candidates into the teaching profession and compensate them adequately, the narrative will change.” Read more
El-Rufai condemns protest against military in Southern Kaduna (Nation)
Kaduna State Governor Nasir El-Rufai on Sunday condemned weekend’s protest by some villagers against troops in Kamaru Chawai, Chawai Chiefdom, Kauru Local Government.
The governor said the protest was unwarranted.
In a statement on Sunday by Internal Security and Home Affairs Commissioner Samuel Aruwan, the governor said the protest was triggered by an eyewitness’ account on an alleged killing of three persons in the village on Friday night.
The statement reads: “The eye-witness informed troops that the killers were strangers from outside the community, and spoke English. On Saturday evening however, some angry locals harassed the witness to change his earlier statement. Read more
Arnold Schwarzenegger compares Capitol riots to Nazi attacks and condemns Donald Trump (Metro)
Arnold Schwarzenegger has spoken out to condemn President Donald Trump, comparing this week’s Capitol riots, done in his name, to the acts of Nazi Germany. In a seven-minute long video, the action film star and former Governor of California spoke out against Republican leader Trump, stating he will go down as ‘the worst President in history’ and urging America to become united. In the powerful speech, Schwarzenegger compared the Capital riots to Kristallnacht – a 1938 attack known as The Night Of Broken Glass. During Kristallnacht, Nazi populated countries and territories, including Schwarzenegger’s native Austria, were left covered in glass as Jewish-owned businesses and synagogues were targeted and vandalised. Read more
Algerian leader returns to Germany to be treated for Covid-19 complications (France24)
Algerian President Abdelmadjid Tebboune flew back to Germany on Sunday for treatment in hospital of complications in his foot resulting from a coronavirus infection, the presidency said.
Tebboune, aged 75 and a heavy smoker, had returned to Algeria in later December after a two-month absence in Germany, where he received treatment for Covid-19.
The president had spoken briefly upon his return, wishing “a happy new year to all Algerians”, “much better than 2020”, and implying that he was almost cured of the virus.
His prolonged absence had sparked concerns of an institutional crisis, after voters in November approved a revised constitution on record low turnout in a referendum widely seen as a manoeuvre to neutralise a long-running protest movement. Read more
Majority of covid patient still battling symptoms after six months (Metro)
More than three in four patients hospitalised with coronavirus still have at least one ongoing symptoms six months after becoming infected, researchers say. A new study exploring the long-term impacts of the virus found that the most common remaining problems months down the line are fatigue or muscle weakness. That was found in some 63% of patients admitted to hospital in Wuhan, China – where the outbreak first began – with lung and kidney problems particularly worrying researchers. Patients also frequently experience sleep difficulties (26%), while anxiety or depression was reported among 23% of patients. There are also concerns about people being reinfected. Scientists found patients who were severely ill in hospital more often had impaired lung function and abnormalities detected in chest imaging – possibly indicating organ damage – half a year after symptom began. Read more
Ethiopia, Sudan and Egypt talks on mega-dam break down, again (AlJazeera)
A new round of negotiations between Ethiopia, Sudan and Egypt aimed at resolving a long-running dispute about a giant dam Addis Ababa is building on the Blue Nile has broken down once again.
The Grand Ethiopian Renaissance Dam (GERD) has been a source of tension in the Nile River basin ever since Ethiopia broke ground on it in 2011, with downstream countries Egypt and Sudan worried it will restrict vital water supplies.
The prolonged dispute has continued even after the vast reservoir behind the 145-metre-tall (475-foot) dam began filling in July. Read more
Pelosi says US House will proceed with legislation to impeach Trump (France24)
US House Speaker Nancy Pelosi said Sunday she would push ahead with efforts to remove President Donald Trump from office during the final days of his administration after his supporters’ violent attack on the Capitol.
Pelosi, the top Democrat in Congress, said there would be a resolution in the House of Representatives on Monday calling for the cabinet to remove Trump as unfit for office under the constitution’s 25th amendment.
If Vice President Mike Pence does not agree, “we will proceed with bringing impeachment legislation” to the floor of the House of Representatives, Pelosi said.
“In protecting our Constitution and our Democracy, we will act with urgency, because this President represents an imminent threat to both,” she said. Read more
UK to boost COVID immunisation drive with mass vaccination sites (AlJazeera)
The British government will open seven mass vaccination centres on Monday as part of efforts to accelerate the roll out of COVID-19 inoculations that the government wants to deliver to all vulnerable people by the middle of next month.
The country, which was the first to approve vaccines developed by Pfizer-BioNTech and by Oxford-AstraZeneca, is currently immunising about 200,000 people a day, Health Secretary Matt Hancock said on Sunday.
About 1.3 million people had received their first dose of the two-dose vaccination as of January 3, according to government data, but the UK needs to inoculate two million people a week to meet its target of vaccinating those in care homes, the over-70s, the clinically vulnerable with pre-existing conditions and health and socia care workers by February 15. Read more
North Korea’s Kim gets new title in symbolic move at congress (VOA)
North Korean leader Kim Jong Un was given a new title, “general secretary” of the ruling Workers’ Party, a post held by his late father and grandfather, state media reported Monday, a largely symbolic appointment apparently aimed at bolstering his authority amid growing economic challenges at home.
The party’s ongoing congress, the first in kind in five years, announced Kim’s new title during its sixth-day session Sunday. A congress statement said Kim “has gloriously realized the historic mission to complete the country’s nuclear build-up plan,” according to the official Korean Central News Agency.
The new title is largely seen as a symbolic move as Kim has already been the party’s top leader. During a 2016 party congress, he was named party chairman, largely the equivalent of general secretary held by his father, Kim Jong Il, and grandfather, Kim Il Sung. Before the 2016 congress, Kim Jong Un had led the party with the title of first secretary. Read more
Don’t blame players, coaches for Eaglets’ poor run, says Shorunmu (Guardian)
Former Super Eagles international, Ike Shorunmu, has urged football loving Nigerians not to castigate the Golden Eaglets and the coaching crew for the team’s poor showing in the ongoing West Africa Football Union (WAFU B) U-17 Tournament holding in Lome, Togo.
Shorunmu told The Guardian after the Eaglets 1-1 score draw against Ghana’s Black Starlets in the second game of the championship on Saturday, that inadequate structure not put in place to develop grassroots football in the country has left other countries to catch up with Nigeria, once dreaded in cadet competition.
He said that the country is currently in a phase where cadet teams are now facing the challenge of excelling in the African and international tournament occasioned by maladministration and poor planning, adding that stakeholders no longer pay attention to harnessing young talents across the country. Read more
Onuachu scores 19th goal (Punch)
Paul Onuachu was on target for Genk but it wasn’t enough to secure maximum points for the league chasers, who lost 2-1 to Kortrijk in the Jupiler League on Saturday. Onuachu has now scored 19 goals in 19 appearances this season.
Maduka Okoye conceded twice in Sparta Rotterdam’s 2-0 home loss to Feyenoord in the Dutch Eredivisie on Sunday. The Nigeria international has now conceded 12 goals in nine league appearances in the Dutch league, keeping three clean sheets.
Samuel Kalu made his second appearance in nine games for Bordeaux in their 2-1 win over FC Lorient in the French Ligue on Saturday, featuring for 60 minutes.
Kali’s compatriot, Josh Maja, came on for Ui-Jo Hwang in the 86th minute. Term Moffi played all 90 minutes for Lorient, scoring the team’s only goal in the 23rd minute. Read more
Mikel Arteta defends Nicolas Pepe, hails ‘leader’ Pablo Mari after Arsenal’s win over Newcastle (Metro)
Mikel Arteta praised Nicolas Pepe’s ‘overall contribution’ in Arsenal’s 2-0 win over Newcastle but challenged the forward to prove his doubters wrong by kicking on over the coming weeks and months. Pepe has badly failed to live up to expectations following his club-record £72million move from Lille back in 2019 and has struggled for regular playing time under Arteta this term, making just four starts in the Premier League. But Pepe was handed a rare opportunity to impress on Saturday as the Gunners edged past Newcastle to book their place in the fourth round of the FA Cup, with Emile Smith Rowe and Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang netting in extra-time. Read more
Vinicius scores hat-trick as Spurs end Marine’s FA Cup run in round 3 (BBC)
Carlos Vinicius scored a 13-minute hat-trick as non-league Marine’s historic FA Cup tie against a Tottenham side 160 places above them in the football pyramid ended in defeat.
Vinicius scored his treble in the first half, while an exquisite free-kick by fellow Brazilian Lucas Moura before the break and a first senior goal by 16-year-old substitute Alfie Devine in the second half settled Sunday’s third-round tie at the Marine Travel Arena in Crosby.
Marine, who play in the eighth tier of English football, had given Spurs a scare when Neil Kengni’s 25-yard attempt beat keeper Joe Hart before hitting the bar when the match was goalless.
They held out for 24 minutes before Tottenham, fourth in the Premier League and fresh from reaching the Carabao Cup final, showed their quality in a tie with the biggest gulf at this stage of the famous competition’s history. Read more
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer provides triple injury update ahead of Burnley and Liverpool clashes (Metro)
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has confirmed Paul Pogba, Victor Lindelof and Luke Shaw are major doubts for Manchester United’s clash with Burnley but believes the trio should ‘definitely’ be fit to take on Liverpool next weekend. All three players were absent as a much-changed United side booked their place in the fourth round of the FA Cup thanks to Scott McTominay’s early header at home to Watford on Saturday. The nature and severity of the injuries remains unclear but Solskjaer will keep close tabs on their fitness on Monday before making a decision over whether to take them to Turf Moor. Asked whether the trio would be available for United’s upcoming league games, Solskjaer replied: ‘I hope so. I hope all of them for Liverpool, definitely. Read more
Ramsey & Ronaldo score late on in Juve win (BBC)
Aaron Ramsey and Cristiano Ronaldo both struck late goals as Juventus saw off 10-man Sassuolo to remain in touch in the Serie A title race.
Wales midfielder Ramsey slid in from six yards before Ronaldo fired beneath Andrea Consigli in stoppage time.
Sassuolo played the second half with 10 men after Pedro Obiang was sent off for a bad challenge on Federico Chiesa.
Danilo had crashed Juve ahead from 25 yards but Gregoire Drefel levelled before Ramsey and Ronaldo’s late show. Read more