#LagosUnrest: Lagosians cry for help as robbers, miscreants go rampage again (Vanguard)
As the coronavirus continues to spread, and the harsh economic effect of the Presidential lockdown order bites harder on Lagos residents, armed robbers and miscreants have started breaking into homes to rob innocent citizens of their valuables.
Vanguard reports that the robbery, which was said to have started in the wake of the lockdown order, took a greater dimension on Saturday and Sunday as people suspected to be armed robbers, numbering at least 30 invaded the areas.
The police had also arrested two suspected members of the gang while others managed to escape.
A locally made revolver pistol, dangerous weapons and house-breaking implement were recovered from the suspects.
Also arrested were 92 suspected members of different cult groups in the state. Read more
No armed robbery anywhere in Lagos – police (Guardian)
The Lagos State Police Command has warned Lagosians to shun rumours of armed robbery attacks in different parts of the state.
Spokesman of the command, Bala Elkana, who was reacting to phone calls on alleged armed robbery activities in Egbeda and Abule Egba, noted that the state was free of robbery activities on Monday as armed security personnel had been despatched to check their activities.
One Esther had called The Guardian to report ongoing gunshots by unknown persons at Kola area of Abule Egba.
When contacted, Elkana described the report as ‘rumour’.
“Lagosians must shun rumour in order to avoid panic across the state. How would any armed robber operate freely with the security architecture we have put in place”, he said. Read more
#LagosUnrest spreads to more communities, residents keep vigil (DailyTrust)
As the lockdown in the state enters week three, many residents of Lagos communities continue to have sleepless nights over rising attacks by suspected armed robbers and hoodlums. Daily Trust reports that for the past few days, residents of Lagos and Ogun’s satellite towns in Sango Ota, among others have been living in fear over daylight robbery. Many residents have been robbed at gunpoint while shops were burgled by suspected robbers and hoodlums. The unrest from Ogun and Lagos satellite communities in Toll Gate, Agbado, Alakuko, Ijaiye, spread gradually to Abule Egba and Ojokoro communities with police swiftly taking charge and arresting dozens of the suspected robbers and hoodlums terrorizing residents amidst the lockdown. Read more
Lagos discharges six more COVID-19 patients (Punch)
The Lagos State Government on Monday said it has discharged six more COVID-19 patients, bringing the total number of patients discharged in the state to 61.
Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu disclosed this via his twitter handle, @jidesanwoolu.
He said, “Today, six more persons; one female and five males have been discharged from IDH, Yaba, after their full recovery and testing negative twice to #COVID19.
“This good news brings the number of patients who have been managed and discharged from our facilities to 61. Read more
Synergy between NDDC, N’Delta ministry will foster uncommon growth – Militants (Vanguard)
Militants under the aegis of 21st Century Youths of the Niger Delta and Agitators with Conscience has described the synergy between the Niger Delta Development Commission and the Ministry of Niger Delta Affairs as the needed impetus that will foster uncommon growth in the region.
The militants in a statement yesterday, also warned youths from the region who are in the habit of casting aspersions against the Minister of Niger Delta Affairs, Senator Godswill Akpabio and the leadership of the commission headed by Professor Kemebradikumo Pondei, to have a rethink and support their leadership for the overall development of the Niger Delta region. Read more
Kwara alleges plots to cause civil unrest over COVID-19 lockdown (Nation)
Kwara State Government on Monday said it has uncovered plots by some prominent opposition figures to incite the public to protest against the lockdown order in the state.
In a statement, the Commissioner for Communication Murtala Olanrewaju said;“We have an intelligence report that some prominent members of the opposition have perfected a plan to incite the public against the government. The plot is to incite the people to disregard the directive of the government to stay at home and stay safe at this time of global pandemic,”
“Whatever the intent of these people, we warn them to desist forthwith as the government will take every measure to ensure that nobody goes against the directive to protect the people from the rampaging virus. Such plot shows that the people behind it cannot distinguish between politics and public safety.” Read more
I will quit politics in 2023, Senator Orji insists (Vanguard)
Former Governor of Abia State and Senator representing Abia Central, Senator T.A. Orji, has disowned misleading campaign posters adorning the streets of Aba and Umuahia in Abia State indicating that he nurses a presidential ambition come 2023.
In a statement signed by his chief liaison officer, Mr Ifeanyi Umere, and released to newsmen on Monday, Senator T.A. Orji, reemphasized his earlier stance that he has no political ambition after his current tenure as senator expires in 2023, describing those behind the posters as people “who are not happy with his towering status in national politics”.
The statement in full reads: “Our attention has been drawn to some posters adorning some streets in Umuahia and Aba purporting that Senator T.A. Orji is running for President come 2023. Read more
Explosion in Edo from electrical appliances dumped in pit, says CP (Nation)
Edo State Commissioner of Police, Lawan Jimeta, has stated that weekend’s explosion at Dumez Street on Benin–Auchi Road, Eyaen, a suburb of Benin, is not from Improvised Explosive Device (IED), but from electrical appliances dumped in a pit.
He disclosed on Monday in Benin that the electrical appliances were dumped in the pit by an Information and Communication Technology (ICT) expert, Muhammed Hamzat, stressing that investigation into the incident was still ongoing. Read more
No reopening of schools yet, FG tells Nigerians (Punch)
The Federal Ministry of Education has urged Nigerians to disregard some false news making the rounds that the Federal Government had directed the reopening of schools.
The ministry’s Director of Press, Ben Goong, said on Sunday that there was no such directive from the minister, Adamu Adamu, as everyone had been instructed to work from home due to the coronavirus pandemic.
Goong noted that parents, guardians and stakeholders must not be misled by fake news but should continue to abide by the Federal Government’s regulations to tackle the ravaging pandemic. Read more
Chinese province responds to discrimination claims (BBC)
Tensions are running high in the Chinese city of Guangzhou over coronavirus rumours.
According to community leaders hundreds of Africans remain unable to go home after being evicted from their homes and hotels over fears the coronavirus was spreading in African communities.
The Guangdong provincial government has responded to concerns of discrimination by calling China and Africa good friends, partners and brothers.
It said it attached “great importance to some African countries’ concerns and is working promptly to improve” its way of operating. Read more
Thai king breaks lockdown to travel 12,000 miles to go to a party (Metro)
The King of Thailand broke coronavirus lockdown rules last week to travel 12,000 miles to go to a party. King Maha Vajiralongkorn, 67, who has isolated himself with 20 girlfriends in a hotel in Bavaria, did the lockdown-busting round trip in just 24 hours. He jetted 12,000 miles for a knees up in Bangkok before flying back to his lockdown bolthole in Germany. The monarch, also known as King Rama X, first stopped off in Zurich, Switzerland, to pick up his wife Queen Suthida, who is self-isolating there, and then dropped her off again on the way back. Read more
First person in world to get coronavirus vaccine trial describes risky shot (NYPost)
A 44-year-old Seattle mother of two who was the first healthy person to receive an experimental coronavirus vaccine compared the injection to a “regular flu shot” – but said signing up for the test carried “a ton of risks,” according to a report.
Jennifer Haller, an operations manager at a tech start-up, described to The Telegraph her decision to respond to a call-out on Facebook for volunteers to take part in the historic trial.
“Even at that time we were all feeling so helpless,” she told the UK news outlet while in self-isolation. “There was nothing I could do to stop this global pandemic. Then I saw this opportunity come up and thought: ‘Well, maybe there is something I can do to contribute.’” Read more
Second Ebola death in DR Congo ahead of hoped-for deadline (Guardian)
A second death from Ebola has been recorded in eastern DR Congo in the final days before a deadline, now scrapped, in which health authorities hoped to declare an end to a 20-month epidemic.
Hopes had been high that the World Health Organization (WHO) on Monday would officially bring the curtain down on the country’s 10th known outbreak of the notorious haemorrhagic fever.
But on Friday, a 26-year-old man was listed as having died from the disease, and a young girl who was being treated in the same health centre passed away on Sunday.
Both died in the city of Benin, an epicentre of the outbreak, the health authorities said late Sunday. Read more
India coronavirus: Doctor’s reattach policeman’s hand severed in lockdown attack (BBC)
Doctors have reattached the severed hand of an Indian policeman who was attacked while enforcing the coronavirus lockdown in Punjab state.
The assault took place on Sunday in Patiala district. Sub-inspector Harjeet Singh is recovering in hospital.
Eleven people, reportedly from the Nihang Sikh religious sect, have been arrested in connection with the attack.
All Indian states are in lockdown until 15 April as part of efforts to halt the spread of coronavirus.
Doctors said the surgery was very complex and challenging, but sub-inspector Singh was likely to make a full recovery. Read more
Ryan Reynolds trolls Hugh Jackman on ‘Wolverine’ star’s wedding anniversary (NYPost)
Good pals Ryan Reynolds and Hugh Jackman have been embroiled in a faux social media war for years, and on Sunday, while Jackman, 51, and his wife Deborra-Lee Furness, 64, celebrated their 24th wedding anniversary, Reynolds couldn’t resist the opportunity for a diss.
“These 24 years have been the best of my life! And, as far as I can see, we keep getting better,” gushed the “Wolverine” star in a heartfelt Instagram post to Furness.
While actors including Josh Brolin and Joe Pantoliano sent the Aussie couple well wishes, Reynolds chose a different route. Read more
Porn company sends high tech cameras to performers so they can work from home (Metro)
Many brands are having to adjust how they do business amid the current coronavirus pandemic. Zara, for example, has asked their models to advertise clothes from home. And now even porn brands are getting in on the action. While most of us are under lockdown, porn websites are probably seeing more demand than ever before. But of course, they can no longer shoot videos due to social distancing rules. So one company, Vixen, has decided to ask their adult entertainers to work from home. Read more
Italian Football Federation hopes to test players for coronavirus in May before season restart (BBC)
The Italian Football Federation hopes that players can be tested for coronavirus at the start of May in preparation for the season to restart.
Serie A has been suspended since 9 March because of the global pandemic.
There is no set date for when the campaign can resume in Italy, with 12 full rounds and four outstanding fixtures still to play.
“As soon as the conditions are right, we’ll finish the championship,” said federation president Gabriele Gravina. Read more
Broke Arsenal want players to take pay cut (DailyTrust)
Arsenal chiefs have asked their players to take a pay cut following the devastating effects of the coronavirus pandemic on the Premier League season. They laid out to players that the club faces a “very grave situation” if the season cannot be completed or goes behind closed doors. They want players to take a 12-month, 12.5 percent pay cut – starting this month and open to change depending on European competition in 2020/21 – amid the ongoing coronavirus pandemic. It comes after the PFA told players to reject pay cuts, insisting that Premier League clubs should observe the 30 per cent deferral proposals agreed by the 20 clubs. Read more
Tottenham Hotspur reverse furlough decision for non-playing staff (BBC)
Tottenham have reversed their decision to use the government’s furlough scheme for some non-playing staff during the coronavirus crisis following criticism from supporters.
On 31 March, the club announced 550 employees would take a 20% pay cut in an attempt “to protect jobs”.
But on Monday, a Spurs statement said non-playing staff will receive “100% of their pay for April and May”.
Only board members will now take salary reductions, the statement added.
That includes chairman Daniel Levy, who earned £7m last year. Read more
Harry Kane: Tottenham will not sell striker to domestic rival this summer (BBC)
Tottenham Hotspur have no intention of letting striker Harry Kane leave the club this summer and would not sell to a domestic rival.
Kane, 26, signed a six-year contract with Spurs in June 2018.
Last month, he said he would not stay at the north London club “just for the sake of it”, and there are reports chairman Daniel Levy would be open to selling him for about £200m. Read more
Frank Lampard urges Chelsea starlet Billy Gilmour to emulate Manchester United legends Paul Scholes and Roy Keane (Metro)
Chelsea boss Frank Lampard has praised youngster Billy Gilmour and even compared him to Manchester United legend Paul Scholes, while he urged him to ‘follow the ideas’ of Roy Keane. The young Scot gave a man-of-the-match performance against Liverpool in the FA Cup at the start of March and backed it up with another dominant display in his full Premier League debut in Chelsea’s 4-0 win over Everton a few days later – the club’s last match before the league was suspended. Keane was uncharacteristically flattering when he saw Gilmour in action – even dubbing him ‘world-class’ – and Lampard believes the United legend and old teammate Scholes are examples he can emulate. Read more
Don’t treat me like sack of potatoes, Rakitic tells Barca (Nation)
FC Barcelona midfielder Ivan Rakitic has criticised his club for their recent treatment of him and for trying to force his departure last year.
The Croatian has been at Barca since 2014 but has fallen out of contention this campaign due to the arrival of Dutch midfielder Frenkie de Jong.
He has only started 10 of Barca’s 27 La Liga matches. Read more
Ronaldo, teammates donate Euro 2020 qualifying bonus to amateurs (Punch)
Cristiano Ronaldo and his Portugal teammates have donated half of their bonus for qualifying for the Euro 2020 finals to help amateur football in the country that has been hit by the coronavirus shutdown.
The Portuguese football federation said on Monday the money would go towards a fund that it hopes will reach 4.7 million euros ($5.1 million) to help amateur clubs survive the crisis.
The federation last week decided to end the already-suspended amateur season with immediate effect, declaring the season null and void without champions, promotion or relegation.
No decision has been taken on resuming professional football but the president of the Portuguese league said in late March he was determined the season should be completed. Read more