LASG announces death of 2nd COVID-19 patient (Guardian)
The Lagos State Commissioner for Health, Prof. Akin Abayomi, on Sunday said the state has recorded the death of a 36-year-old Nigerian man, who died of COVID-19 in the state.
Abayomi announced the death through his Twitter handle on Sunday, saying that it was the death of second COVID-19 patient recorded in the state.
“We lost a #COVID19 patient; a 36-year-old Nigerian, male, who died in a private facility on April 4, 2020.
“The total number of #COVID19 patients who have died are now two,” he said.
Abayomi, however, did not disclose further information about the medical history of the patient.
He added that one of the state’s COVID-19 patients had been evacuated, making it two COVID-19 patients evacuated from Nigeria back to their country. Read more
COVID-19: Lagos discharges 10-year-old girl, four others (Punch)
The Lagos State Government on Sunday announced the discharge of five patients receiving treatment at the Infectious Disease Hospital, Yaba, bringing the total number of discharged patients to 29 in the state.
Lagos State Governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu, disclosed this on his Twitter handle, @Jidesanwoolu.
He tweeted, “Dear Lagosians, yesterday (Saturday) I announced the discharge of one more patient from our Infectious Disease Hospital, Yaba.
“Today, I am happy to inform you that five more patients comprising two males and three females including a 10-year-old girl have tested negative twice to #COVID-19. Read more
Police arrest two men for ‘raping’ minors (Nation)
Two men identified as Christian Chikezie and Dako Aaron, 52, have been arrested by the police in Lagos for alleged rape of underage girls at Ikorodu and Okokomaiko areas of the state
Chikezie, the police said, defiled a nine-year-old girl whose mother left in the care of a neighbour around 7:10pm on March 29.
The victim’s mother was said to have gone to the hospital and left the girl in the care of one Mercy, only to return at the wee hours of March 30, to find out she has been sexually assaulted.
According to police spokesman Bala Elkana, the woman reported that the Ikorodu division around 1:50am on March 30 that she saw her daughter with Chikezie coming out of his house when she returned from the hospital and upon questioning, the girl disclosed that the man penetrated her sexually. Read more
Vandalised NNPC pipeline at Mosan, Ipaja Lagos repaired – LASEMA (Guardian)
Dr Olufemi Oke-Osanyintolu, the Director-General, Lagos State Emergency Management Agency (LASEMA), said on Saturday that the agency monitored the repair of the vandalised pipeline at Mosan, Ipaja, Lagos State, by officials of the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC).
Oke-Osanyintolu made this known in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Lagos.
According to him, as early as 8 a.m. we were informed about an uncontrolled leakage of petrol (Premium Motor Spirit) along NNPC Pipeline in Aboru off Kakatin Road, Ipaja, Lagos.
He said that LASEMA responders were deployed and it was discovered that the leakage emanated from a major NNPC pipe which had been tampered with through an illegal set up designed to continuously divert and siphon fuel. Read more
COVID 19: Lagos assures residents of adequate food supply (Nation)
The Lagos Government has assured residents of adequate food supply at all the 27 designated COVID-19 Emergency Food Markets.
The State Commissioner for Agriculture, Prince Gbolahan Lawal gave the assurance over the weekend while monitoring the exercise at the Sam Ethnan Air Force Base, Ikeja; Opebi Primary School and Ogudu Nursery and Primary School, Ojota.
He explained that the emergency markets were created to cushion the effects of the two weeks lock down directed by the Federal Government to curb the spread of COVID-19 in the country.
The Commissioner noted that more farmers would be deployed to the various markets at the next market day on Thursday in order to ensure enough supply of farm produce and perishables to meet the demands of shoppers. Read more
Four dead in failed Nigerian ‘prison break’ (Guardian)
Four convicted inmates in a Kaduna state prison have died from injuries sustained while attempting to escape from the facility.
“4 inmates later died in the hospital from the injuries sustained in the incident that ensued while being restrained by Corrections officers from breaking jail,” spokesman to the Nigeria Correctional Service (NCS) Kaduna State Command Sanusi Danmusa said in a statement on Sunday.
“For the avoidance of doubt, all the deceased inmates were from the condemned section of the Custodial Centre.”
The inmates attempted to escape from the prison over fears of an alleged suspected case of coronavirus amongst them. Read more
COVID-19: Nigerians call for Funke Akindele’s arrest for hosting celebrity party (Punch)
Nollywood actor, Funke Akindele, has come under intense criticism for hosting a celebrity-studded party at home despite the government-ordered lockdown caused by the COVID-19 pandemic.
Thousands of Nigerians on social media called for the arrest of Akindele, popularly called ‘Jenifa’.
The actress, who is considered as an ambassador for the Nigerian Centre for Disease Control and Dettol, has appeared in adverts calling on Nigerians to observe social distancing and hygiene.
However, in a video posted on social media by her husband, Abdulrasheed Bello aka JJC Skillz, many celebrities including singer Naira Marley, are seen having a house party in contravention of the government order. Read more
COVID -19: Air Peace delivers medical supplies from Turkey (Nation)
The Federal Government at the weekend took delivery of the first batch of medical supplies intended to fight the spread of COVID-19 and treatment for infected persons.
The supplies were flown in by an Air Peace Boeing 777 aircraft which landed at the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport , Abuja from Istanbul, the Turkish capital on Saturday night.
Immigration sources hinted that the aircraft with registration number 5N-BWI flew out of Nigeria early Saturday on a seven- hour flight to lift the medical supplies and made it back before midnight. Read more
Electricity challenges threaten efforts to contain COVID-19 – UN envoy (Punch)
A United Nations envoy, Ms Damilola Ogunbiyi, says efforts by the global community to contain the Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic are threatened by electricity supply challenges in developing countries.
Ogunbiyi, who is the Special Representative of the UN Secretary-General for Sustainable Energy for All, gave the warning in an article published by Thompson Reuters Foundation News.
The March 31 opinion piece is titled: “Power in a pandemic – why energy access matters during Coronavirus”.
She stated that the social distancing and stay-at-home measures adopted by many countries to stop the spread of COVID-19 could only work where there was stable and sufficient power supply. Read more
France’s coronavirus crisis throws lifeline to Macron’s troubled presidency (France24)
While the coronavirus epidemic rages in France and around the world, President Emmanuel Macron’s poll ratings have jumped to a two-year high. Analysts say that, while his leadership style played badly during the Yellow Vest protests and pensions strikes, it has been an asset during the current crisis.
A series of polls over recent weeks has shown that Macron is enjoying a popularity bump amid the coronavirus crisis. In late March, a Harris Interactive survey found that 51 percent of French people “have confidence” in Macron – a 13-point increase on the previous month. This is the highest such figure, and the first time he has enjoyed a majority approval rating, since January 2018.
Other pollsters have noted similar upticks in his popularity, with Ipsos showing him up by 14 points and Ifop up by 11.
France’s coronavirus death toll stands at more than 7,500 and the number of confirmed cases at more than 68,600, making it Europe’s third-worst-affected nation behind Italy and Spain. The country has been under lockdown since March 17 – a situation that will last until April 15 at the very least, with people allowed to leave their homes only to buy necessities, go to work, exercise or seek medical care. Read more
Coronavirus: Scientists brand 5G claims ‘complete rubbish’ (BBC)
Conspiracy theories claiming 5G technology helps transmit coronavirus have been condemned by the scientific community.
Videos have been shared on social media showing mobile phone masts on fire in Birmingham and Merseyside – along with the claims.
The posts have been shared on Facebook, YouTube and Instagram – including by verified accounts with hundreds of thousands of followers.
But scientists say the idea of a connection between Covid-19 and 5G is “complete rubbish” and biologically impossible. Read more
Pope livestreams Palm Sunday mass due to virus ‘tragedy’ (France24)
Pope Francis called for courage in the face of the coronavirus pandemic as he delivered Palm Sunday mass by livestream instead of before Saint Peter’s Square crowds.
The Vatican is abandoning centuries of tradition and refraining from public celebrations of the official start of the Catholic world’s Holy Week.
Pope Francis called the pandemic a tragedy on Sunday that must be faced with courage and hope.
“Today, in the tragedy of a pandemic, in the face of the many false securities that have now crumbled, in the face of so many hopes betrayed, in the sense of abandonment that weighs upon our hearts, Jesus says to each one of us: ‘Courage, open your heart to my love’,” the pope said. Read more
Iraqis rally to help needy families as virus hits, economy falters (Guardian)
On an abandoned sidewalk in Baghdad, a city under strict government curfew to contain the novel coronavirus, a handful of volunteers with masks and gloves make food packages for needy families.
“What we’re doing is a humanitarian duty towards society, and anyone who can afford it should do the same,” said Abu Hashim, an Iraqi businessman in his fifties packing non-perishable goods outside a lonely storefront in the Iraqi capital’s east.
The health ministry says COVID-19 has killed 56 Iraqis and infected more than 800 others. But many suspect the real numbers to be much higher, as only a few thousand people from a population of 40 million have been tested. Read more
Toxic smog above Madrid disappears during coronavirus lockdown (Metro)
The skyline in Madrid has cleared up as a result of the Covid-19 lockdown. Pictures from the Spanish capital taken yesterday show air pollution has decreased after three weeks of isolation. Madrid has curbed road transport – the largest source of nitrogen oxides – and slowed output at gas-emitting factories since March 14, when the Government approved an initial 15-day period of lockdown, now extended until April 12. Cities including Brussels, Paris, Madrid, Milan and Frankfurt showed a reduction in average levels of noxious nitrogen dioxide over March 5-25, compared with the same period last year, according to the Sentinel-5 satellite images. Read more
Morocco to free over 5,000 prisoners to slow virus spread (Guardian)
Morocco’s King Mohammed VI on Sunday pardoned more than 5,600 prisoners and ordered their release in stages to avoid contagion in the country’s overcrowded jails.
The justice ministry said the 5,654 detainees that would be freed were selected based in their age, health, good conduct and length of detention.
They would be released in stages due to “exceptional circumstances linked to the emergency health situation and necessary precautions” against the virus, it said in a statement.
The decision came as the COVID-19 illness has officially killed 66 people and infected 960 in the North African country. Read more
Five shot dead in Russia for ‘talking loudly’ (BBC)
A man in Russia has shot dead five people for talking loudly outside his house late in the evening.
Police said the shooting happened in the village of Yelatma, in the Ryazan region about 200km (124 miles) south-east of Moscow.
The area is currently under lockdown due to the coronavirus.
Investigators say the man initially complained to the group from his balcony, and an argument broke out. He then opened fire with a hunting rifle. Read more
Top Gun’s Val Kilmer hasn’t had a girlfriend in 20 years and is terribly lonely (Metro)
Val Kilmer opens up about his relationship status in his upcoming autobiography, it has been reported. The movie icon says he has been single for the last 20 years, and experiences loneliness every day. You have to admire his honesty.
Val is the star of films like Top Gun and Batman Forever, and an extract of his 2020 autobiography I’m Your Huckleberry has been shared by People. ‘I haven’t had a girlfriend in 20 years. The truth is I’m lonely a part of every day,’ the 60-year-old writes. Read more
My Eagles’ recall special – Leon Balogun (Nation)
Super Eagles defender, Leon Balogun has described his recall to the national team setup as special.
The 31-year-old has missed out on the national team due to lack of playing time at Premier League side, Brighton and Hove Albions.
However, the former Mainz 05 defender has enjoyed more game time since moving to Championship side, Wigan on loan in January .
He was subsequently named in Genort Rohr 24- man list to face Sierra Leone last month for the AFCON 2021 qualifier but the match had to be postponed due to the coronavirus pandemic.
In interview with Tolu Olasoji monitored on YouTube by our correspondent, Balogun said he was looking forward to join the Super Eagles team. Read more
Eagles, Benin AFCON qualifier postponed indefinitely (Punch)
Football governing body has announced that scheduled matches for the next international break have been postponed indefinitely due to the outbreak of the coronavirus pandemic which has disrupted all sporting activities.
The Super Eagles, who are to face Benin in the 2021 Africa Cup of Nations second leg qualifier, will have to wait for a new date to be decided following the announcement by the world football governing body.
The team’s doubleheader clash against Sierra Leone earlier scheduled for March 27 in Asaba, Delta State and the return leg at the Siaka Stevens Stadium, in Freetown was postponed by CAF also due to the pandemic. Read more
Manchester City defender Kyle Walker breaks lockdown rules,hosts sex party’ (Metro)
Manchester City defender Kyle Walker has issued an apology after he flouted the coronavirus lockdown by hosting a sex party at his flat with two escorts. A report in The Sun has revealed that Walker and a friend had invited the two women to his flat in Cheshire on Tuesday evening. But earlier that day, Walker had urged his 1.5 million followers on Twitter to observe the coronavirus lockdown rules in place. Read more
Wayne Rooney says players face a no-win situation in wage debate (BBC)
The power struggle over how Premier League footballers can financially assist in the fight against coronavirus is “a disgrace” and has players in a “no-win situation”, says Wayne Rooney.
Players have been urged to do more by health secretary Matt Hancock and the Premier League proposed a 30% pay cut.
The Professional Footballers’ Association says that may harm the NHS.
Derby striker Rooney says he is happy to offer support but asked: “Why are footballers suddenly the scapegoats?” Read more
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer urged to sell Paul Pogba and sign Jack Grealish (Metro)
Manchester United should sell unsettled midfielder Paul Pogba this summer and replace him with Aston Villa captain Jack Grealish, according to Andy Gray. Pogba has endured a frustrating season with injuries limiting him to just seven Premier League appearances. The World Cup-winner is widely expected to leave Old Trafford at the end of the season, with Real Madrid and Juventus both interested in securing his signature. Former Scotland striker Gray believes now is the time for Manchester United to offload Pogba for a second time in his career. Read more
Mark Wood: England bowler says it was ‘right thing’ for players to make donation (BBC)
Fast bowler Mark Wood says it was the “right thing” for England players to make a £500,000 donation to the England and Wales Cricket Board and selected good causes.
Amid the ongoing coronavirus crisis, centrally contracted players volunteered to contribute 20% of their salary for three months.
“We were unanimous in wanting to help out,” Wood, 30, told BBC Sport.
“We have obligations as professional sportsmen to be role models.” Read more
Man City will not seek virus furlough offer (Guardian)
Manchester City say they will not be furloughing employees at the taxpayer’s expense after a number of Premier League clubs took advantage of the British government’s scheme to fund non-playing staff during the coronavirus epidemic.
On Saturday, table-topping Liverpool became the fifth Premier League club to announce a furlough, accessing the government’s job retention scheme, which means the public purse will cover 80 percent of wages.
There has been considerable criticism from former players, who believe the safety net is not being used as intended.
Liverpool announced a £42 million ($51 million) pre-tax profit in February. Read more