Man bags 6 months imprisonment for possessing false documents (Guardian)
Justice Oluwatoyin Taiwo of a Special Offences Court, Ikeja, Lagos, has sentenced a man, Yusuf Olawale Adetokunbo, to six months imprisonment for having a document containing false pretence.
The judge sentenced him after he pleaded guilty to one-count charge brought against him by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC).
EFCC had alleged that, Adetokunbo, sometime in April 2022, with the intent to defraud, had in his possession a bundle of fraudulent chats containing false pretence in his Google voice app and his email.
The anti-graft said his offence was contrary to section 320 of the Criminal Law of Lagos State, 2015. Following his plea of guilty, the prosecution counsel, Mr. Nnaemeka Omenwa, urged the court to convict him accordingly. Read more
Lagos corporal beats up senior officer over traffic (Punch)
There was a mild drama on Saturday at the Simbiat Abiola Way, Ikeja, Lagos State, as a police corporal assaulted his superior during an argument.
PUNCH Metro gathered that the yet-to-be-identified corporal had confronted the superior officer, who was identified as Supol Edgar, for allegedly causing traffic at the junction linking the Awolowo Way.
This led to an argument, as the corporal punched Edgar.
Our correspondent learnt that the policeman did not know Edgar was a police officer who resided in a barracks close to the scene.
During the confrontation, Edgar reportedly reached out to his colleagues in the barracks, who stormed out and bundled the policeman into their premises. Read more
WAEC releases 2022 WASCCE results, withholds 365,564 (DailyTrust)
The West African Examinations Council (WAEC) on Monday released the results of the 2022 West African Senior School Certificate Examination (WASSCE).
Head of the Nigeria National Office, Mr Patrick E. Areghan, said of the 1,601,047 candidates that sat the examination, 1,437,629 candidates (89.79%) results had been fully processed and released while 163,418 candidates (10.21%) had a few of their subjects still being processed due to some issues being resolved.
He assured of efforts being made to speedily complete the processing to enable all the affected candidates to get their results within the next one week.
The results showed that 1,222,505 candidates (76.36%) obtained credits and above in a minimum of five subjects, including English Language and Mathematics, while 1,409,529 (88.04%) candidates obtained credit and above in a minimum of any five subjects with or without English Language and/or Mathematics. Read more
Inmate of Owerri Prisons spends 14years awaiting trial (Vanguard)
Two Catholic priests were stunned as they discovered a citizen in Owerri Prison, who has spent 14 years of his youthful years awaiting trial.
The priests, Rev. Fr. Remigius Him and Rev. Fr. Jude Onuoha, were in the Prison to celebrate their priestly silver jubilee with the inmates.
Speaking on behalf of the inmates, the Provost of the inmates, Mr. Onyeka Mbaeri, disclosed that he had spent 14 years awaiting trial in the prison.
Mbaeri also commended the clerics for remembering the inmates as they celebrate their priestly silver jubilee and prayed to God to bless the priests. Read more
Academy of Letters to confer Ofeimun, 10 others as fellows (Nation)
The Nigerian Academy of Letters (NAL) will, on Thursday, conduct investiture of fellowship on popular poet and writer Odia Ofeimun and other academics across Nigeria as new fellows.
The investiture comes along with NAL’s 24th convocation ceremony, which will hold at the J. F. Ade Ajayi Auditorium of the University of Lagos (UNILAG).
Ofeimun will become fellows along with professors of humanities subjects.
The academics include Prof. Roseline Oro Aziza (Linguistics – Regular Fellow); Prof. Godini Gabriel Darah (Literature/English – Regular Fellow); Prof. Oluyemisi Adebowale (Literature/Yoruba – Regular Fellow) and Prof. Alex Chinwuba Asigbo (Theatre Arts – Regular Fellow). Read more
Edo govt meets transporters, agree on one-week extension for driver’s licence renewal (Guardian)
Edo State Government and leaders of the state’s chapter of the National Union of Road Transport Workers (NURTW) have agreed on a one-week extension for drivers to renew their licences and vehicle particulars, before commencement of enforcement for compliance.
Chairman, Edo State Chapter of the NURTW, Comrade Odion Olaye, in a statement, disclosed this after the meeting, said enforcement will now begin from Monday, August 15.
He said the agreement was reached at the meeting between leaders of the union and the Edo State Commissioner for Transportation, Engr. Osasere M. Evbuomwan.
Olaye commended the state government for extending the implementation of the arrest of commercial vehicle colour code defaulters in Edo State. Read more
Terrorists set diesel tanks ablaze in Niger (Sun)
The activities of terrorists in Niger State took a different dimension on Sunday, when they set two tankers loaded with diesel ablaze in Saminaka, Lapai Local Government Area of the state.
The gunmen, who invaded the community at about 8pm, last Sunday, also abducted three women in the process. The three women, including an owner of a restaurant, Zainab Usman, and two of her workers were whisked away by the gunmen.
A source told Daily Sun that it was in the process of the sporadic shooting by the gunmen that the two diesel tankers were hit by bullets and went up in flames with the entire content and the tankers burnt.
One of the residents, Mohammed Isah, said that the community has been thrown into panic since Sunday, following the attack by the gunmen. Read more
PDP postpones NEC, Caucus meetings to pave way for Atiku, Wike reconciliation (ThisDay)
As part of efforts to ensure total reconciliation between the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) presidential candidate, Atiku Abubakar and Rivers State governor, Mr. Nyesom Wike, the party yesterday postponed it’s scheduled National Executive Committee (NEC) as well as its National Caucus meetings of the party.
It was also learnt that postponement of the NEC and the National Caucus was to starve off ongoing plots to remove Senator Iyorchia Ayu as National Chairman of the PDP.
The PDP had summoned the NEC and National Caucus meeting for tomorrow and Thursday to discuss the constitution of members the Presidential Campaign Council.
But in a brief statement, the National Secretary, Senator Samuel Anyanwu stated, “This is to inform all members of the PDP National Caucus and NEC that the meetings of the two bodies earlier scheduled for Wednesday, August 10 and Thursday, August 11, 2022, respectively, have been postponed. Read more
Ibadan: Fire destroys goods worth millions at Bola Ige market (Guardian)
Shops and goods worth millions of naira were yesterday, destroyed by fire at the popular Bola Ige International Market, new Gbagi, Ibadan, Oyo State capital.
No life was lost in the fire, which razed six shops full of fabrics. Chairman, Bola Ige International Market, Alhaji Ganiyu Adebayo, who confirmed the incident, said the fire started at about 7:00a.m.
According to him, the fire service station at Gbagi market was alerted and they responded promptly to put it out.
He said: “I was at home when they called me that there was a fire outbreak at Rashlad and Kudus lines in the market. I was informed that a woman lit a candle in her shop early this morning and did not put it out and closed the shop.
“ The firefighters did very well, they prevented the inferno from spreading to other parts of the market.” Also, a member of Market Council of Elders, Alhaji Rasheed Oladepo, said the fire incident was not caused by electrical appliances. Read more
Rita Ora and Taika Waititi get married in London: report (PageSix)
Congrats are seemingly in order for Taika Waititi and Rita Ora.
The lovebirds have tied the knot in an intimate ceremony in London, The Sun UK reported on Monday.
“It was a really intimate ceremony and super special for everyone there,” a source told the outlet. “Their nearest and dearest can see how madly in love they are.”
The source further claimed that the singer — who has also changed her name to Waititi-Ora — wanted a small wedding in order to “keep their relationship as private as possible.”
The source continued, “A big, showbiz-style bash is planned to celebrate, but don’t expect to see it being flogged to the highest-bidding magazine.” Read more
3 sentenced for hate crimes over Arbery killing (BBC)
Three white men convicted of killing a black jogger have been sentenced for federal hate crimes.
Travis McMichael, 36, his father, Gregory, 66, and their neighbour, William Bryan, are already serving life sentences over the murder.
On Monday, the father and son were sentenced to life in prison while Bryan was handed a 35-year jail term.
They will serve their additional sentences concurrently with their state prison sentences.
Ahmaud Arbery, 25, was shot and killed during a confrontation with the three men in Georgia in February 2020.
The case became a rallying cry for racial justice protesters around the US. Read more
‘Donnie Brasco’ actor Anne Heche stable after severe car accident (NME)
Anne Heche is reportedly in a stable condition following a severe car accident in Los Angeles.
The Donnie Brasco star was said to have driven her car into an LA home in the Mar Vista area, leading to severe burn injuries as well as huge damage to the house.
Reports subsequently emerged that Heche was in a critical condition, although it has since emerged that she is now “stable”.
A statement from Heche’s friend Heather Duffy Boylston said (via The Guardian): “Anne is currently in stable condition. Her family and friends ask for your thoughts and prayers and to respect her privacy during this difficult time.” Read more
Kanye West reacts to Kim Kardashian, Pete Davidson’s breakup in the most Kanye way possible (ET)
Kanye “Ye” West is speaking out on Kim Kardashian’s split from Pete Davidson.
The 45-year-old rapper, who made countless headlines for sharing his unfiltered thoughts on the Saturday Night Live alum’s relationship with West’s estranged wife earlier this year, got back on Instagram Monday morning to throw in one more dig at Pete’s expense. News broke on Friday that Kim and Pete had called it quits after nine months of dating.
In Kanye’s caption-less post on Instagram, he simply shared a fake headline from The New York Times, reading, “Skete Davidson Dead at Age 28.” In the tiny font below, West addressed his ongoing feud with Kid Cudi by writing, “Kid Cudi meant to play funeral but was fearful of bottle throwers.”
The dig comes as Kim’s lawyer, Laura Wasser, told a judge on Friday that her client and Ye were getting along amid their divorce proceedings. Read more
Chrissy Teigen shares first ultrasound picture of rainbow baby (PageSix)
The first look at baby No. 3.
Chrissy Teigen gave fans a glimpse of her baby after sharing her latest ultrasound on her Instagram Story Monday.
In the sweet snap, the baby, whose sex has yet to be announced, could be seen holding its right hand to its chest.
The model — who has a long history of trolling former President Donald Trump — jokingly captioned the ultrasound, “me hearing the FBI raided Mar-a-Lago.“
Just hours before, Trump announced on Trump Social that the FBI had raided his Florida estate and broken into a safe as they reportedly searched for classified documents that he took from the White House. Read more
“Grease” star Dame Olivia Newton-John dies aged 73 (Metro)
Dame Olivia Newton-John has died, aged 73.
The Grease star, who famously played Sandy in the beloved musical opposite John Travolta, died earlier this morning.
Her husband, John Easterling, confirmed the news in a statement.
‘Dame Olivia Newton-John passed away peacefully at her Ranch in Southern California this morning, surrounded by family and friends,’ it read.
‘We ask that everyone please respect the family’s privacy during this very difficult time. Read more
Diddy passed on signing 50 Cent to Bad Boy, says Tony Yayo (HipHopDX)
Diddy once had the opportunity to sign 50 Cent to Bad Boy Records, but decided not to — according to Tony Yayo.
During a recent interview with VladTV, the former G-Unit rapper recalled him and 50 taking a meeting with Puff Daddy about a potential deal and the reason why he didn’t want to sign him. Yayo believes it was one of the biggest mistakes the label ever made.
“A lot of people don’t know this story,” he began. “50 went to Diddy for Bad Boy. A lot of people don’t know that. We had a meeting. And it was so crazy that Diddy didn’t sign him – I know that was one of the biggest mistakes of Bad Boy. And you know, the [Kenneth “Supreme” McGriff”] situation — a lot of people were scared of Preme — 50 wasn’t.
“I remember Diddy said this, he doesn’t even remember. He said, ‘The three things people hate about rappers.’ He was like, ‘Yeah, we can’t sign you, playboy. It’s too much. It’s too much drama with the Biggie stuff and all that.’” Read more
Ozzy Osbourne signs off Commonwealth Games in style in eclectic closing ceremony (Metro)
The 2022 Commonwealth Games have officially finished with a spectacular closing ceremony taking place at Birmingham’s Alexander Stadium.
This was the biggest games in history with over 5000 athletes from 72 nations competing across 20 different sports.
Birmingham have done a fine job as only the third English host of the Commonwealth Games, especially considering they were a late-ish replacement for original hosts Durban after the South African city was forced to pull out due to financial issues.
A dramatic and musical finale
According to creative duo Amber Rimell and Bronski – aka Tawbox – Monday evening’s ceremony was designed to ‘celebrate the people, culture, and the sound of Birmingham, through the medium of musical performances and choreography.’ Read more
Williams claims first singles win in 14 months (BBC)
Serena Williams claimed her first singles win in 14 months as she beat Spain’s Nuria Parrizas Diaz to reach the second round of the National Bank Open in Toronto.
The American great, 40, showed glimpses of her vintage ball striking in a 6-3 6-4 victory over the world number 57.
Williams’ last singles success was at the 2021 French Open.
She will play either Olympic gold medallist Belinda Bencic or Tereza Martincova next.
Williams made her singles return at Wimbledon in June after a year out with injury after speculation she may retire. Read more
Manchester United to make improved offer for Arnautovic (FootballItalia)
Manchester United are expected to make an improved offer for Bologna striker Marko Arnautovic as Erik ten Hag strongly wants to reunite with the Austria international.
The former Inter striker moved to the Stadio Dall’Ara a year ago, but could already be on his way out as the Red Devils are pushing to secure his signature.
Bologna have already rejected an €8-9m bid from the Red Devils who are now expected to make a new offer for the experienced forward.
His agent confirmed Manchester United’s bid on Sunday. Read more
Opobo Marathon winners receive prizes from sponsor (Guardian)
The winners of the 2022 Opobo Marathon were, on Friday, given their winning prizes by the CEO of Dynasty Perfumes and Cosmetics Limited, Daminabo Alali Daniel.
The event, which was held in Port Harcourt, had in attendance, the Management of Dynasty group, ConnectOpobo Ltd, while the winners for the male and women categories joined virtually.
Speaking during the virtual presentation, the CEO of one of West Africa’s largest perfumery, Daniel, thanked the organisers of the event, stating that the marathon will bring about peace and development to Opobo Kingdom.
According to him: “I am happy to have in audience the organisers of the yearly ConnectOpobo marathon and for a simple idea of the prize money in which my humble self, Daniel Alali Daminabo, on behalf of my company, Dynasty perfumery and Cosmetic Africa, pledged the sum 1,000 dollars yearly.
“So, we are here to redeem the prize money for this year. Read more
Lewis Hamilton reveals shocking racist assault he suffered as a child in Newcastle (Metro)
Lewis Hamilton has revealed that he was the victim of a racist assault outside a corner shop in Newcastle as a child.
The seven-time Formula 1 champion is the only full-time black driver to have ever raced in the series has faced bigoted abuse throughout his career in the top tier of motorsport, including when he was referred to with vile language by triple title winner Nelson Piquet earlier this year.
Former McLaren team principal Ron Dennis met Hamilton and his father Anthony at the Autosport Awards when the future champion was aged just eight and competing in junior karting events, where he says ‘There was a lot of the N-word going around’ from rival children and their families, before team and driver eventually united for Hamilton’s debut season in F1 in 2007 and his maiden title the following year. Read more
Rafael Nadal returns to practice court after skipping Montreal (TennisWorld)
The 22-time Major champion Rafael Nadal will not compete in Montreal this week. The Spaniard will not seek the sixth title at one of his favorite events, as he still struggles with an abdominal injury experienced at Wimbledon.
Nadal withdrew ahead of the Wimbledon semi-final clash with Nick Kyrgios after dealing with an injury that prevented him from practicing serve. Rafa returned to the practice court after a suitable rest, doing his best to play in Montreal and earn important points in the year-end no.
1 battle. Still, the Spaniard felt the pain in his abdomen again after working on his serve, and he decided to skip the Canada Open. Nadal is back on the practice court at home in Mallorca, working on his game and hoping to get ready for the US Open if he decides to skip the next week’s Cincinnati Masters.
Rafa has been a player to beat this year at 36. The Spaniard has won 35 out of 38 matches, leading the ATP Race ahead of Carlos Alcaraz. Rafa claimed the season’s opening two Major titles for the first time in a career to stand on 22 trophies and leave Roger Federer and Novak Djokovic behind. Read more
Frank Warren hints Tyson Fury ‘comeback’ will wait for one thing to happen first (MEN)
Frank Warren has hinted that Tyson Fury will return to the boxing ring and make a comeback after getting ‘itchy feet’ after announcing his retirement almost four months ago. Although Warren expects a comeback will happen, he believes Fury will only make a decision after seeing the result of Anthony Joshua vs Oleksandr Usyk next weekend.
Fury has been keeping up his usual training routine despite confirming multiple times that he is retiring after beating Dillian Whyte at Wembley in April to retain his world champion status. The 33-year-old has not surrendered his belts yet, however, suggesting that he could well be plotting a return to the ring.
It has been suggested that the undefeated Fury would come out of retirement to fight the winner of Joshua vs Usyk’s rematch which takes place in Saudi Arabia next weekend.
Speaking to talkSPORT, Warren said that he’ll wait to see the winner of Fury and Usyk, before : “He’s got itchy feet at the moment, he wants to fight. I think what’s going to happen is, see what happens on [August] 20th and the outcome of that and that’ll determine what he intends to do in the future,” he said. Read more