New Notes: Those who locked up your money will unlock it – Tinubu (DailyTrust)
All Progressives Congress (APC) Presidential Candidate, Asiwaju Bola Tinubu, has once again criticised the naira redesign policy of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN).
Last week when he campaigned in Abeokuta, Ogun State capital, Tinubu had said fuel scarcity and the CBN monetary policy were plots to make him lose election.
The statement had triggered a wave of reactions across the country.
During his campaign outing in Ado Ekiti, the state capital, on Friday, Tinubu said there were plans by some individuals to use fuel crisis and naira redesign to create instability, which may cause the posteponment of the presidential election and lead to the imposition of an interim government. Read more
Bandits display new naira notes, mock FG in viral video (Sun)
A bandit kingpin who has been terrorising Kaduna communities, Kachalla Baleri, yesterday, released a video clip displaying the redesigned naira notes and mocking the Federal Government.
Baleri is seen in the video alongside other armed men displaying N1,000 and N200 notes and claiming to have used some of the new notes to buy ammunition. He said only God knew the amount of the new naira notes he had stored in his sacks.
He said: “We want to send a message to Nigerians, their leaders, and the masses, to be fair and just because of God and his holy prophet. All the tribalism that is happening in the country will not solve anything unless things are done because of God. They (government) redesigned the naira, poor people who are innocent don’t even know about it. Some don’t even own up to N10,000. He has to wake up early in the morning to go and hustle. Read more
Terrorists displaying new naira proves CBN policy futile – Sheikh Gumi (Punch)
Islamic cleric, Sheikh Ahmad Gumi, has explained why the plan by the Central Bank of Nigeria to curb kidnapping in the country through the redesign of the N200, N500, and N1,000 notes will not be effective
In an interview with Punch newspaper he said, “I think the security situation in the country, to be honest, every Nigerian has had a taste of it. But I think now, there is a little improvement from what has been happening in the past. I think we are coming down from the crescendo because mostly it is kidnapping and ransom-taking for many factors. I think one of the factors is that the people concerned are realising the failure of their attempts. So, there is improvement in general security. But has it reached the level we expect it to? I don’t think it has reached that level”.
According to him, “Now, you hear about lesser cases of kidnapping even though it is still rampant, it is lesser than before. We have reached the climax and after reaching the climax, like in a graph, everything comes down. So, I think we are reaching the end of the crisis”. Read more
41 die in Katsina terrorist attack (Leadership)
The Katsina State Police Command, on Friday, confirmed the death of 41 persons in Kankara local government area of the State after a terrorist attack in Yargoje forest.
Most of the victims were volunteers from neighbouring Bakori local government area of the State, who had regrouped and attempted to recover rustled livestock that was carted away by the terrorists from their area.
They were, however, ambushed by the marauders at Yargoje forest, who killed 41 of them and injured two persons. Read more
Fuel, Naira Woes: Police unveil plan to attack banks, media houses, other strategic places by hoodlums in Oyo (Tribune)
Police have hinted of a plan to attack offices of Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) banks, media houses and other strategic places under guise of fuel and inadequate supply of redesigned naira notes by unscrupulous elements in Oyo state.
It will be recalled that aggrieved residents at the early hours of Friday took over major roads, especially Gate/Iwo road axis in Ibadan North East local government area in protest against inadequate supply of naira notes by the Central Bank of Nigeria.
Also, customers waited endlessly at the various points of the Automated Teller Machines of some of the banks in the metropolis.
Long queues were observed at some of the ATMs points despite the fact that there is a report that they were not dispensing the redesigned ones as directed by CBN. Read more
Yemi Alade on Spotify Equal Africa programme (Guardian)
Spotify’S Equal Africa programme has kicked off 2023 by shining a spotlight on multi-talented Nigerian artiste, Yemi Alade. The leading female Afro-Pop artiste in Africa is the latest musician to join the list of accomplished artistes featured on the Equal Africa playlist.
The Spotify Equal Africa programme seeks to provide female artistes with the support and resources to grow their craft and reach worldwide audiences through multiple playlists. The beneficiaries also receive off-platform guidance and tools to help take their music careers to even greater heights.
Expressing delight on the programme, Alade said: “It’s a great time to be alive, female artists have quadrupled in number compared to a decade ago. The only thing we ask now, in this male-dominated industry, is for equal opportunities. Equal opportunities to be seen, for our talents to be showcased, because in the ‘universe of music,’ there is no gender, only potential, creativity, and pure magic.” Read more
Polls: Presidency backing Atiku — Wike (Vanguard)
Governor Nyesom Wike on Friday maintained his claim that a cabal in the presidency is backing Atiku Abubakar, candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) for this month’s presidential election.
Wike at Ibaka Town, Okrika Island for a PDP campaign rally for Okrika Local Government Area of Rivere state also faulted the chaotic naira currency change as anti-people and needs President Muhammadu Buhari’s reconsideration on the policy implementation.
He argued that Atiku and supporters’ recent boast that they do not need the G-5 governors to win election was informed by the assurance of victory a cabal in the presidency has given the PDP presidential candidate.
According to him, “They (Atiku and supporters) have been given assurance, but this election is not going to be based on that cabal assurance. It is on the people’s assurance. Read more
Sam Smith defies bodyshamers and critics as new album Gloria lands at number 1 (Metro)
Sam Smith has done it! The singer has another number one under their belt, thanks to the success of their latest album, Gloria.
The Latch hitmaker has said they are ‘truly overwhelmed’ after scoring their third number one album, with the record including hits such as Unholy, featuring Kim Petras.
Gloria is the fourth record from the 30-year-old pop vocalist, who is due to perform at the Grammys this weekend, and features collaborations with Koffee, Jessie Reyez and Ed Sheeran. Read more
Hulk Hogan spotted walking after false claims he was paralyzed from back surgery (PageSix)
Hulk Hogan was photographed using a walking stick after shutting down reports that he was paralyzed after undergoing back surgery.
The WWE legend, 69, held the stick in his right hand as he left the DMV in Clearwater, Fla. on Friday.
He used the stick to help him walk from the DMV to his car. However, at one point, he stopped briefly to wave to a fan and transferred it to his left hand — barely keeping a grip on it. Read more
Elon Musk found not guilty of fraud over Tesla tweet (BBC)
Tesla founder Elon Musk has been cleared of wrongdoing for a tweet in which he said he had “funding secured” to take the electric carmaker private.
Mr Musk faced a class-action lawsuit filed on behalf of Tesla shareholders who argued he misled them with his posts in August 2018.
The proposed $72bn (£60bn) buyout never materialised.
If the San Francisco jury had found Mr Musk liable he could have been ordered to pay billions of dollars in damages. Read more
Ex-French PM says hair loss condition no barrier to ambition (Guardian)
France’s former prime minister Edouard Philippe, a leading contender to succeed President Emmanuel Macron in 2027 elections, has opened up about a hair loss condition he says will not diminish his political ambition.
The 52-year-old politician, who spearheaded the government’s fight against the peak of the Covid-19 pandemic, was a familiar face on television with his trademark brown beard.
Since leaving the post in the summer of 2020 and working as mayor of the Normandy port of Le Havre, his appearance has drastically changed with his hair and beard thinning and turning white suddenly. Read more
Reese Witherspoon insists there’s ‘no Legally Blonde 3 without Jennifer Coolidge’ as she teases sequel (Metro)
Reese Witherspoon has shed light on the upcoming Legally Blonde 3, teasing Jennifer Coolidge’s return to the big screen.
It has been a whopping five years since the Elle Woods icon confirmed the sequel was in the works, with Mindy Kaling and Brooklyn Nine Nine creator Dan Goor signing on to write the script.
Since then, details have been thin on the ground about the project, and when we could expect to see our favorite lawyer tackling injustice once again. Read more
Jafar Panahi: Prominent Iranian film director leaves jail (BBC)
Award-winning Iranian film maker Jafar Panahi has been released from jail on bail, two days after he went on hunger strike over his imprisonment.
He was seen hugging supporters and being driven away from Tehran’s notorious Evin prison on Friday.
Mr Panahi, 62, was arrested last July when he protested against the detention of two fellow filmmakers, who had been critical of the authorities.
His wife told the BBC he was told he had an outstanding jail term to serve. Read more
Bayern’s Kimmich set for guest TV role in crime series (Guardian)
Bayern Munich midfielder Joshua Kimmich is set to make his German television debut with a small role in cult detective show ‘Tatort’.
The 27-year-old will appear in a March 12 episode of the series entitled ‘Hackl’, playing a moustachioed fitness trainer named Kenny.
According to series producer Cornelius Conrad, Kimmich has a small role with one line which he shot in one day in the spring of 2022 Read more
Sack threats litter NPFL over shambolic performances (DailyTrust)
When the 2022/23 abridged Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL) season kicked off last year, there were optimism and belief from the each of the twenty coaches that they will hit the ground running and perform well during the season.
As it is often said that “Man proposes but God disposes” is apt in the recent results from some of the clubs as some clubs like Bendel Insurance, Remo Stars and Rivers United are doing well while clubs like Wikki Tourist, Enugu Rangers, Nasarawa United and a host of others are performing poorly.
Expectedly, the administrators of these underperforming clubs ‘swung into action’ to issue ultimatums to the coaching crew to return to winning ways or be booted out with just five games into the ongoing season. Read more
United, Chelsea unfazed by Osimhen £107m fee (Punch)
Manchester United and Chelsea are not afraid of the £107m asking price that Napoli have put on their star striker Victor Osimhen, PUNCH Sports Extra reports.
The two Premier League giants are not deterred by the Serie A giants’ high demands to part ways with the Nigeria international in the summer of 2023.
As reported by Italian publication, Napoli Magazine, the Old Trafford side and Graham Potter’s team are eyeing Osimhen and Napoli are also looking for potential replacements if the striker leaves. Read more
Owed bonuses: NFF pays Super Falcons 7 months after (Vanguard)
The Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) has paid the accumulated match bonuses of the nine-time African champions, Super Falcons seven months after the completion of the tournament.
The seven months was arguably one of the longest waits for the nine-time African champions to access their entitlements, after previous ugly episodes, including protests that greeted the 2010 and 2016 African title wins.Multiple sources informed this week that the NFF only paid bonuses for three wins recorded against Burundi, Botswana in the group stages and the quarterfinal duel with Cameroon.
Randy Waldrum’s side finished fourth at WAFCON 2022 after a 1-0 defeat to Zambia in the third-place match, marking their worst-ever outing in the history of the competition, losing a record three matches from six. Read more
Fernandez makes debut as Chelsea held by Fulham (BBC)
British record signing Enzo Fernandez made his Chelsea debut but could not help his new side claim only their second win of 2023 as they were held by Fulham at Stamford Bridge.
Argentina midfielder Fernandez completed a £107m move to the Blues from Benfica three days ago and Graham Potter opted to hand him an immediate start.
He made a solid impression and almost enjoyed a dream debut when his curled effort flew just wide of the post in the second half. Read more