Sanwo-Olu appoints new Lagos Fire Service boss (Punch)
The Lagos State Governor, Mr Babajide Sanwo-Olu, has confirmed the appointment of Mrs Margaret Adeseye as the Acting Head of the Lagos Fire and Rescue Service.
The Head of Service, Mr. Hakeem Muri- Okunola, on Friday, revealed the governor’s confirmation of Mrs. Adeseye’s appointment as Director in a letter.
He stated, “I am pleased to convey the approval of Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu, confirming your appointment as Director, Lagos State Fire and Rescue Service with immediate effect.”
The HOS made it clear that the confirmation of Mrs Adeseye’s appointment is based on her impressive performance in the Service. Read more
UNILAG engineering dons commend Coscharis Group on assembly plant (ThisDay)
Engineering dons of the University of Lagos (UNILAG) have commended respected auto dealer, Coscharis Motors Plc., a subsidiary of Coscharis Group, for their commitment in developing local contents in reference to their local assembly plant located in the group’s head office in Lagos.
This commendation came up during the recent courtesy visit/facility tour of Coscharis auto assembly plant by all the heads of departments (HODs) from the faculty of Engineering, University of Lagos, led by the Dean of Faculty, Professor Obanishola Sadiq, recently.
Professor Sadiq applauded the Coscharis team, led by the visionary founder, President/CEO of Coscharis Group, Dr. Cosmas Maduka for the foresight and resilience in the huge investment in the assembly plant and other aftersales facilities of all the reputable brands Coscharis represent in Nigeria. In his words, “some of us, even as academicians, never knew that Coscharis has invested such huge capital in an assembly plant that has capacity that is producing some of the automobiles we see on our roads in Nigeria today. Read more
Insecurity: Nigeria now headless, wobbling, Bode George raises alarm (Vanguard)
Former Military Administratorof Ondo state, Chief Olabode George has lamented the growing wave of insecurity in the country, calling for drastic measures to drag Nigeria from the brinks, saying the country is currently headless and wobbling.
George who was also a former Chairman of the Nigerian Ports Authority NPA and National Vice Chairman, Southwest zone of the Peoples Democratic Party PDP made his position known in a television interview monitored Friday in Abuja.
His position came as the immediate-past National Chairman of the ruling All Progressives Congress APC and former Governor of Edo state, Comrade Adams Oshiomhole opposed any call for a military take over of government, describing it as irresponsible, senseless and treasonable. Read more
Debris of Chinese rocket may hit Abuja this weekend (DailyTrust)
There is a tiny chance that the debris from a Chinese rocket could hit Abuja this weekend.
Citing experts and officials, NBC, an American news platform, said a piece of a rocket launched by China in late April is expected to re-enter earth’s atmosphere between late Saturday and early Sunday.
“It’s 10-stories tall and twice as heavy as a school bus, and it’s set to crash back to Earth this weekend — but no one is quite sure where or when.”
“The 98-foot-long, 20-ton section of China’s Long March 5B rocket is tumbling through space in an uncontrolled orbit at 18,000 miles per hour after blasting off last month carrying part of the country’s new space station., according to experts and officials,” NBC said in its report. Read more
2 die as customs, soldiers clash with smugglers in Ogun (Punch)
Pandemonium broke out on Thursday when men of the Nigeria Customs Service and soldiers clashed with suspected smugglers, leaving two persons dead and 10 others injured.
Our correspondent gathered that the clash occurred at Oja-Odan in the Yewa North Local Government of the state when a patrol team from Ogun Command Area I intercepted 320 bags of foreign parboiled rice (50kg) stockpiled in a building.
It was gathered that during the evacuation of the goods, some ‘diehard’ smugglers in collaboration with hoodlums reportedly opened fire on the patrol team.
Four customs men, one soldier and five civilians assisting in the evacuation reportedly sustained gunshot injuries during the attack. Read more
Look for Shawwal moon Tuesday, Islamic Council tells Muslims (DailyTrust)
The Nigerian Supreme Council for Islamic Affairs (NSCIA), under the leadership of its President-General and Sultan of Sokoto, Alhaji Muhammad Sa’ad Abubakar III, has urged Muslims across the country to look for the new moon of Shawwal on Tuesday.
The Deputy Secretary-General, NSCIA, Prof. Salisu Shehu, said this on Saturday in a statement.
According to him, following the advice of the National Moon Sighting Committee (NMSC), the crescent of Shawwal should be searched for on Tuesday, 11 May 2021 equivalent to 29 Ramadan, 1442 AH.
“In preparation for the 1442 AH ‘Idul-Fitri celebrations, the National Moon Sighting Committee (NMSC) of the NSCIA has advised the President-General that the crescent of Shawwal should be searched for on Tuesday, 11th May 2021 equivalent to 29 Ramadan, 1442 AH. Read more
Police rescue 22 minors from Ogun brothel (Punch)
Men of Ogun State Police Command, on Friday, rescued 22 teenage girls between 10 and 14 years that were reportedly lured from Akwa Ibom State to Ogun state for prostitution.
The Police Public Relations Officer in the state, DSP Abimbola Oyeyemi, disclosed this on Saturday in a statement.
Oyeyemi said the command got credible information that minors were being recruited as sex workers.
He said the police in an operation, coordinated by the Area Commander Ota, ACP Muhideen Obe, stormed a hotel about 8 pm on Friday and rescued 22 teenagers. Read more
NRC arrests 2 rail track vandals in Zaria (Punch)
Federal Government has been tasked to review the Nigerian Railway Corporation (NRC), under the supervision of the Ministry of Transportation
The Nigeria Railway Corporation (NRC), has announced the arrest of two persons suspected of vandalising rail tracks along the Kaduna-Zaria rail line.
Haruna Sabo, the NRC Northern District Engineer, made the disclosure in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN), on Saturday in Zaria
He said that the corporation had deployed patrol teams along the rail line following repeated vandalism of the rail tracks.
Sabo said those arrested were members of a syndicate that specialized in removing rail clips that hold sleepers and rail tracks together. Read more
Chad police use tear gas to disperse anti-junta protesters in N’Djamena (France24)
Chadian security forces fired tear gas to disperse protesters who took to the streets of the capital N’Djamena on Saturday to protest against a military takeover that followed the death of President Idriss Deby on the battlefield last month.
On Friday the transitional military government, led by Deby’s son Mahamat Idriss Itno, had banned the protest called by a coalition of some opposition parties and civil society groups.
A strong ally of Western nations in the fight against Islamist militants in western and central Africa, Chad has seen heightened political tensions since Deby’s death. Read more
Guardians of the Galaxy’s Dave Bautista and James Gunn confirm Drax’s future in MCU (Metro)
Guardians of the Galaxy director James Gunn and star Dave Bautista have opened up about Drax The Destroyer’s future in the MCU. Former WWE star Dave won fans as the deadpan destroyer, starring alongside Chris Pratt (Peter Quill) and Zoe Saldana (Gamora) in the Marvel movies. However, he had us all worried when he explained that Drax’s story will most likely end with Guardians 3. Explaining to Digital Spy that a Drax and Mantis film didn’t pan out, he added: ‘As far as my obligations, I’ve got Guardians 3, and that’s probably going to be the end of Drax.’ Read more
Iraqi base housing US forces targeted by drone in 2nd attack in less than a week (RT)
A drone attack launched against Ain al-Asad airbase in western Iraq has resulted in damages but no casualties. The facility, which is home to US and international troops, was also targeted by rockets earlier this week.
Colonel Wayne Marotto, a spokesperson for the US-led coalition, said the base was “attacked by an unmanned aerial surveillance system” on Saturday morning, adding that no injuries were reported but that a hangar inside the military facility was damaged. The incident is currently being investigated.
According to local media, there are conflicting reports about what transpired. Kurdistan24, citing sources, said the authorities were told that two drones loaded with explosives attacked the base. One of the unmanned aerial vehicles was reportedly shot down by anti-air batteries, while the second struck the military compound, the outlet said. Read more
WhatsApp delays plan to block users who don’t accept new privacy terms (Metro)
Algeria marks first national day of remembrance over mass killings under French rule (France24)
Algeria on Saturday honours thousands killed by French forces in 1945, as the North African country waits for Paris to apologise for its colonial-era crimes.
Pro-independence rioting following a demonstration in the final months of World War II prompted the massacre of thousands of mostly unarmed Muslim civilians, a turning point in Algeria’s long independence struggle.
On May 8, 1945, thousands had rallied in Setif as allied powers, including colonial ruler France, marked a hard-won victory in Europe over Nazi Germany.
“Long live the allied victory,” demonstrators shouted. Read more
Rail service hit by ‘significant disruption’ in England after cracks found on high-speed trains (RT)
Rail operators in England have launched snap inspections of their fleets of high-speed trains after cracks were found in carriages. Passengers have been warned of delays and service cancellations.
The Great Western Railway (GWR), the London North Eastern Railway (LNER), Hull Trains, and the TransPennine Express (TPE) suspended some services out of London on Saturday morning. This means that train services are limited between Edinburgh, Newcastle upon Tyne, York, and London, according to the BBC.
GWR warned of “significant disruption,” with other operators issuing similar statements. Read more
Bayern win ninth consecutive Bundesliga title (Leadership)
Bayern Munich were crowned champions of Germany for the ninth straight season after nearest challengers RB Leipzig lost to Borussia Dortmund.
England’s Jadon Sancho doubled the lead after Marco Reus got the first goal.
Lukas Klostermann and Dani Olmo made it 2-2 before Sancho’s winner confirmed Bayern as champions before their game with Borussia Monchengladbach.
In April, Bayern announced RB Leipzig boss Julian Nagelsmann would join them on a five-year contract at the end of this season after current boss Hansi Flick said he wanted to leave the club. Read more
Neymar signs huge new contract at Paris Saint-Germain (Metro)
Neymar has committed his future to Paris Saint-Germain by signing a new contract at the club until 2025. There was plenty of speculation over the future of the 29-year-old, but he has put that to bed by extending his stay in the French capital for four more years. The Brazilian superstar has regularly been linked with a return to Barcelona ever since leaving the Catalan giants in 2017, but that now seems an impossibility. A statement from the prolific striker read: ‘It is a great happiness to extend the adventure at Paris Saint-Germain. I am very happy in Paris. Read more
Tottenham top-four hopes hang by thread after Leeds defeat (Punch)
Leeds beat managerless Tottenham 3-1 on Saturday to put a huge dent in their ambitions of securing a coveted Premier League top-four spot.
Son Heung-min cancelled out Stuart Dallas’s early goal for Leeds midway the first half but Patrick Bamford restored the home side’s lead and substitute Rodrigo struck late on.
Spurs, who sacked Jose Mourinho last month, remain five points behind fourth-placed Chelsea but now have just three games left — one fewer than their London rivals.
It means Tottenham, beaten Champions League finalists in 2019, are almost certain to miss out on playing in Europe’s elite club competition for a second consecutive season. Read more
Polish bare-knuckle bruiser ‘Balboa’ bounces unconscious rival off ropes with savage KO victory at ‘Gromda 5’ event (RT)
Polish bare-knuckle star Bartlomiej ‘Balboa’ Domalik was crowned king at the Gromda 5 event in his homeland on Friday night, and on the way landed a crunching KO which shook social media with its sheer brutality.
With a gritty, graffiti-strewn backdrop featuring a dance pole for leather-clad ring girls to gyrate on, Polish bare-knuckle promotion Gromda stands out even in a crowded field of the weird and wonderful combat sports organizations around the globe.
Friday’s Gromda 5 event was no exception, as dominatrix-style onlookers slumped across motorcycles as brutality unfolded in front of them in a ring surrounded by some rudimentary roping. Read more
Abid hits double century as Pakistan show Zimbabwe ‘how to play cricket’ (France24)
Zimbabwe captain Brendan Taylor paid tribute to Pakistan after the tourists took total control on the second day of the second Test at Harare Sports Club on Saturday, outclassing the home side with both bat and ball to take a huge step towards sealing a 2-0 series victory.
Zimbabwe were 52 for four at the close in reply to Pakistan’s 510 for eight declared, 458 runs behind.
After remaining reasonably competitive until lunch on Saturday, Zimbabwe’s bowlers took a hammering during the afternoon.
Opening batsman Abid Ali made 215 not out and Nauman Ali slammed 97 before being stumped off a wide.
The pair plundered 169 runs off 199 balls for the eighth wicket. Read more
Thomas Tuchel is yet to speak to Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich but insists silence is ‘fine’ (Metro) Chelsea manager Thomas Tuchel has still not spoken to club owner Roman Abramovich since his arrival at Stamford Bridge in January, despite his remarkable success, but insists that the radio silence from his employer is fine. Tuchel replaced Frank Lampard as manager in January and has guided the Blues into the Champions League and FA Cup final, while they are up to fourth in the Premier League and in a good position to qualify for the Champions League through that route as well. Despite this incredible impact, Tuchel has not once spoken to Chelsea owner Abramovich, with his contract only running until the end of next season. Read more