Search for passenger who jumped into Lagoon resumes on Tuesday (Punch)
The Lagos State Emergency Management Agency said it would on Tuesday resume the search for a 21-year-old man, Daibo Davies, who plunged into the Lagoon from the Third Mainland Bridge inward Adeniji Adele, Lagos Island.
It had been reported that Davies, a resident of Sosanya Street, Soluyi, in the Gbagada area of Lagos, on Saturday ordered a Uber cab from Gbagada.
On getting to the Third Mainland Bridge around 11am, he was said to have pretended that he had a stomach upset and begged the driver to stop so he could relieve himself. Read more
Lagos’ll explore tourism potentials to enhance economic gains – Sanwo-Olu (Vanguard)
Lagos State Governor, Mr Babajide Sanwo-Olu has stressed that Hus administration will stop at nothing to continually explore the tourism potentials of the state and also enhance its economic gains for the benefits of its entire residents.
This came as the state government on Wednesday took possession of four theatres built in different locations across the state.
Sanwo-Olu, spoke through state Commissioner for Tourism, Arts and Culture, Pharmacist (Mrs) Uzamat AkinbiIe-Yusuf at the handing-over ceremony of the four theatres, held in Alausa, Ikeja. Read more
NERC directs DISCOs to increase tariff from April 1 (Nation)
The Executive Director, Research and Advocacy, Chief Sunday Oduntan, Association of Nigerian Electricity Distributors (ANED) has said that the 11 electricity distribution (Discos) will not commence implementation of the extraordinary tariff review of MYTO-2015 until they get the go ahead from the Nigeria Electricity Regulatory Commission (NERC).
Speaking with The Nation on phone, he noted that the power firms were yet to get the go- ahead from the commission.
He however admitted that the power distributors will kickstart the implementation of the new tariff when the commission gives the directive. Read more
Court orders arrest of ex-Customs boss, Dikko (Nation)
A Federal High Court in Abuja has issued a bench warrant for the arrest of former Comptroller General of the Nigeria Customs Service (NCS), Abdullahi Inde Dikko over his continued failure to attend court to answer to a charge of fraud brought against him and two others by the Independent Corrupt Practices and other related offences Commission (ICPC).
Justice Ijeoma Ojukwu, while ordering Dikko’s arrest on Monday, noted that his lawyer, Solomon Akuma (SAN) who, on the last adjourned date, undertook to ensure that his client attend court today, only turned around to present a medical report, claiming Dikko was critically ill and on admission in London.
Justice Ojukwu noted that Dikko’s address, as shown on the medical report – No: N6 Amhed Musa Crescent Jabi, Abuja – did not support his lawyer’s claim that Dikko was on admission in a London hospital. Read more
Commercial motorcyclists to pay N200 daily tax in Oyo (Guardian)
The Seyi Makinde administration has imposed a daily tax of N200 on all commercial motorcyclists in Oyo State.
This was disclosed on Monday when the state government inaugurated the state Park Management System to replace the proscribed National Union of Road Transport Workers in the state.
“Park Management System begins operation first in the Pace Setter State as we hope this will be a pathfinder for transports system reform in the State and beyond,” Seyi Makinde said at the inauguration.
“It is important to note that this initiative is in line with Gov. Seyi Makinde’s plan to boost the State IGR as State money will no longer go into private purses & desperate transporters accounts.” Read more
Amaechi, Buhari’s aide refutes report of escaping kidnapper’s attack (Guardian)
Nigeria’s transportation minister Rotimi Amaechi has refuted a report that claimed he narrowly escaped being attacked by kidnappers.
“Hundreds of Abuja-Kaduna train passengers, including the minister of Transportation, Rotimi Amaechi, have escaped attack by kidnappers on Sunday evening,” an online news platform Daily Nigerian reported.
The news website said it reliably gathered that the kidnappers laid in ambush around Mando area and attempted to waylay the passengers, who arrived at Rigasa train station around 8:15 pm. Read more
Flights to and from Nigeria maybe disrupted until end of February (Guardian)
Travellers in Nigeria may continue to experience flights disruption until the end of February due to harmattan haze, president of the National Association of Nigeria Travel Agencies has said.
Although a new landing system is being installed in Lagos to provide a more efficient guide to aircraft arriving at the airport, Bankole Bernard said aircraft visibility will be better by the end of February.
“Visibility became extremely poor, but I am sure before a twinkle of an eye two weeks will be gone and we will have a safe sky,” Bernard said. Read more
20 killed in Niger food distribution stampede (Punch)
Twenty people, many of them women and children, were trampled to death on Monday in a stampede for food and money for refugees in southeast Niger, sources said.
“We have a provisional toll of 20 dead,” a medical source said. Aid workers confirmed the account and said about 10 people had been injured.
The accident occurred at a culture centre in Diffa, the main town of a region of that name that abuts Nigeria and Chad. Read more
Agba Jalingo regains freedom (Guardian)
CrossRiverWatch publisher Agba Jalingo has been released after spending about five months in detention.
Jalingo’s release comes after a federal high court in Calabar granted him a bail of N10 million on Thursday, February 13.
The Cross Rivers State Government charged Jalingo with terrorism and conspiracy to remove an elected governor from office.
Jalingo was first arraigned on August 22, 2019, after he published a story on how Ben Ayade, governor of Cross River, allegedly approved and diverted N500 million meant for the state’s microfinance bank. Read more
Coronavirus: Infected passengers evacuated on US flights (Punch)
More than a dozen infected Americans from a coronavirus-riddled cruise ship off Japan flew on evacuation flights to the US with other passengers on Monday, as the epidemic claimed more lives in China to take the death toll above 1,700.
The COVID-19 virus has infected more than 70,500 people in its epicentre of China and sparked panic buying, economic jitters and the cancellation of high-profile sporting and cultural events.
With fresh cases emerging daily in Japan, the government has advised citizens to avoid mass gatherings and cancelled public events, including annual celebrations in central Tokyo for the Emperor’s birthday and the amateur portion of the city marathon, affecting around 38,000 runners. Read more
China asks patients to donate plasma for virus treatment (Guardian)
Chinese health officials Monday urged patients who have recovered from the coronavirus to donate blood so that plasma can be extracted to treat others who are critically ill.
Drugmakers are racing to develop a vaccine and treatment for the epidemic, which has which killed 1,770 people and infected over 70,500 people across China.
Plasma from patients who have recovered from a spell of pneumonia triggered by COVID-19 contains antibodies that can help reduce the virus load in critically ill patients, an official from China’s National Health Commission told a press briefing Monday. Read more
Nigeria Taekwondo Federation hopeful on 2020 Tokyo Olympics qualification (Guardian)
The Nigeria Taekwondo Federation (NTF), has expressed optimism of picking 2020 Tokyo Olympic Games tickets at the Africa Taekwondo Qualification Tournament slated for Rabat, Morocco.
NTF Technical Director, Chika Chukwumerije, said this to News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) on Monday in Abuja ahead of the tournament scheduled to hold between Feb. 22 and Feb. 23. Chukwumerije said that the team had been training for the past seven weeks and were in shape physically and mentally for the competition.
He said that four athletes comprising two males and two females were shortlisted for the tournament. The technical director said that the federation was awaiting the Ministry of Youth and Sports Development’s directive on the team’s travel arrangements. Read more
Tokyo marathon cancelled over coronavirus (Punch)
Organisers said Monday they are cancelling the amateur portion of the Tokyo marathon, affecting around 38,000 runners, on fears about the spread of the new coronavirus in Japan.
“We reached the conclusion that unfortunately it is difficult to organise the event… after several cases (of the virus) were confirmed in Tokyo,” the Tokyo Marathon Foundation said in a statement.
The decision will not affect elite runners, including elite wheelchair participants, the organisers said.
But they only account for around 200 of the tens of thousands of people who had registered for the March 1 race. Read more
Barcelona get permission to sign Dembele’s replacement (Nation)
Barcelona have been given permission by La Liga to sign a replacement for injured Ousmane Dembele.
Dembele, who suffered a complete hamstring tear in his right thigh, was ruled out for six months.
According to La Liga rules, having a player ruled out for at least five months with injury gave a club the right to ask for permission to sign a striker out of the transfer window, but only to play for the club in La Liga. Read more
Casillas to run for president of Spanish Football Federation (Guardian)
Spain’s World Cup-winning captain Iker Casillas will run for the presidency of the Spanish Football Federation (RFEF), he confirmed on Monday.
The date of the election has not yet been decided but Casillas said he has informed his current club, Porto of his decision, with the 38-year-old now expected to retire from playing the game.
“Yes, I will run for the presidency of the RFEF when the elections are called,” Casillas wrote in a statement. Read more
Porto should have done more for Marega over racist abuse – Gullit (Vanguard)
Dutch legend Ruud Gullit said Monday that Moussa Marega’s Porto team-mates should have done more to protect him after the Mali striker walked off in protest after receiving racist abuse in a Portuguese league game.
On Sunday, the 28-year-old scored a 60th-minute winner for Porto against his ex-club Vitoria Guimaeres which led to a torrent of monkey chants.
In the 71st minute, France-born Marega signalled he was walking off to his bench in protest, even though his teammates, Porto coach Sergio Conceicao and some Vitoria players tried to make him stay on the pitch. Read more
Nigeria, 11 others for Basketball Africa League (Nation)
The Basketball Africa League (BAL) has confirmed the 12 teams that will compete in the league’s inaugural season, which will tip off on March 13 at the Dakar Arena in Dakar, Senegal.
The announcement was by BAL president, Amadou Fall during the NBA All-Star 2020 Africa Luncheon in Chicago at the weekend.
Nigeria will be presented by Rivers Hoopers BC, Algeria will be represented by GSP (Groupement Sportif des Pétroliers), Angola has Petro de Luanda, Cameroon has Forces Armées et Police Basketball, Egypt has Zamalek, Madagascar has Gendarmerie Nationale Basketball Club, Mali has AS Police, Morocco has AS Salé, Mozambique has Ferroviàrio de Maputo, Rwanda has Patriots BC, host – Senegal has AS Douanes while Tunisia will be represented by US Monastir. Read More
Neymar back from injury for Dortmund clash (Guardian)
Neymar has been named in the Paris Saint-Germain squad for Tuesday’s Champions League last-16 first leg at Borussia Dortmund, despite missing the French club’s last four games through injury.
The world’s most expensive player has been struggling with a rib problem but was expected to be fit in time for the game at Signal Iduna Park.
The Brazilian missed last season’s surprise last-16 loss to Manchester United with a foot injury, while he also sat out the second leg of the defeat at the same stage of the competition by Real Madrid in 2018. Read more
2021 AFCON qualifiers: Eagles, Leone Stars clash in Asaba (Punch)
The 15,400-capacity Stephen Keshi Stadium, Asaba will host next month’s 2021 Africa Cup of Nations qualifying match between Nigeria’s Super Eagles and the Leone Stars of Sierra Leone, the Nigeria Football Federation has announced.
“We have finally settled for the Stephen Keshi Stadium, Asaba for the qualifying match against Sierra Leone. The match will be played on Friday 27th March 2020,” NFF General Secretary, Dr. Mohammed Sanusi, stated.
The venue, named after former Nigeria captain and coach, the late Stephen Keshi, has hosted several international matches involving the Super Eagles and the Nigeria U-23 squad, since it was opened two years ago.
Uganda were the first opposition entertained at the venue by the Eagles in a friendly match days after Nigeria sealed a 2019 Africa Cup of Nations ticket in November 2018. The match ended goalless. Read more
Etebo rues Getafe loss at Barca (Punch)
Super Eagles midfielder Oghenekaro Etebo has expressed his displeasure at Getafe’s 2-1 defeat to Barcelona at the Camp Nou in LaLiga on Saturday, Sports Extra reports.
The defeat ended their four-game winning streak.
Etebo returned to Getafe’s match-day squad after missing the last two games and he was deployed as a right midfielder in the encounter.
However, he was later replaced in the 67th minute for Amath Ndiaye in what was his third appearance since arriving on a six months loan from English Championship club, Stoke City. Read more