Tallen condemns killing of Labour Party Woman Leader in Kaduna (Sun)
Minister of Women Affairs, Pauline Tallen has condemned the killing of Labour Party Woman Leader in Kaduna State who was shot dead in her home.
The women leader of the Labour Party (LP) in Kaura LGA of Kaduna State, Victoria Chintex, was reportedly killed on Monday after gunmen invaded her residence in Kaura and shot her.
Her husband was also said to have sustained gunshot injuries and is currently receiving treatment at a medical facility.
Tallen in a press release she personally signed regretted that the latest killing has diminish progress made as the nation prepares for 2023 elections.
She said everyone including women have the right to choose and belong to a political party of their choice without fear of intimidation according to the tenets of the nation’s democracy. Read more
NDLEA drags teenager to court over alleged drug trafficking (Nation)
The National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA), on Friday charged a 19-year-old unemployed man, Abdullahi Aliyu before a Federal High Court in Lagos for alleged drug trafficking.
In the five-count charge sheet bordering on illegal peddling of restricted narcotics, the NDLEA Counsel, Mr Lambert Nor alleged that Aliyu committed the offence on Oct. 13 at the Alaba Rago market area of Ojo, Lagos.
He alleged that the suspect was caught with 1.2kg of Tramadol, 32g of Rophynol and 2kg of Diazepam.
The NDLEA said the drugs are categorised as restricted narcotics which are prohibited under the NDLEA Act. Read more
Call out governors embezzling LGA funds, Wike challenges Buhari (Independent)
Rivers State Governor, Nyesom Wike, has challenged President Muhammadu Buhari to name the governors stealing funds meant for their local government areas.
Recall that the president while speaking at an event on Thursday, accused some governors of stealing resources meant for thr local councils’ administration.
Wike, while speaking at the commissioning of a project in Port Harcourt, on Friday, reacted towards Buhari’s accusation, expressing that he and the governors under the Integrity Group (G5) are not part of the people misappropriating funds meant for LGAs.
Wike said, “I am using this medium to challenge Mr. President to come out and tell Nigerians the names of the governors committing this offence.
“I want to say, in the name of Almighty God, that I’ve never touched local government funds for one day. I have never done that and I have no reason to do that. Read more
Truck driver dies in Lagos crash (Punch)
A yet-to-be-identified truck driver has lost his life during a crash at Agric bus stop, in the Ikorodu area of Lagos State.
The Permanent Secretary, Lagos State Emergency Management Agency, Dr Olufemi Oke-Osanyintolu, in a statement on Wednesday, said a 40ft container fell off the back of the truck during the crash, adding that the container had been removed from the road.
Oke-Osanyintolu said the suspected cause of the accident was brake failure, adding that the corpse of the driver was recovered from the scene and the truck handed over to officials of the State Environmental Health Monitoring Unit.
The statement read, “Upon the arrival of the agency’s LRTs to the scene of the incident, an articulated truck conveying a 40ft container was discovered involved in a lone accident at the location. Read more
Rapper, Oladips fires back at Wizkid in a diss track for saying Rap is dead (Tribune)
Indigenous Nigerian rapper, Oladipupo Olabode Oladimeji, popularly known as Oladips, has fired back at Grammy Award-winning Afrobeat artiste, Ayodeji Ibrahim Balogun, Wizkid over his latest statement about the Rap Music genre.
Wizkid in a recent interview with London-based 10 magazine described rap music as a dead and boring genre, adding that rappers lack innovations.
He said, “I don’t listen to rap – that sh*t is boring to me, it’s dead now, it’s tired. These guys do the same sh*t, rap on the same beats, same flows.”
Wizkid’s comment on rap music which has been generating different reactions from social media users seems not to have sat well with a foremost indigenous rapper, Oladips. Read more
Bawa: EFCC has recorded 3,440 convictions in 2022 (ThisDay)
Chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), Abdulrasheed Bawa,yesterday, disclosed that the Commission recorded 3440 convictions on financial and cyber crimes across the country from January to November 2022.
This is as the governorship candidate of the Young Progressives Party (YPP) in Akwa Ibom State, Senator Bassey Albert Akpan, has been convicted by the Federal High Court, Uyo, of money laundering and sentenced to 42 years in prison.
But the candidate has immediately appealed the ruling, saying the ruling would be upturned soon, even as he appealed to his supporters to remain calm.
The EFCC chairman, who was represented by the Kano Zonal Commander, Farouk Dogondaji, spoke while delivering a goodwill message during a one-day workshop on financial crimes reporting organised by the EFCC for journalists. Read more
Yakubu, Jega dismiss suggestion urging INEC to hire private security agencies (Guardian)
Chairman of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), Prof. Mahmood Yakubu and his immediate predecessor, Prof. Attahiru Jega, have dismissed suggestions by some Nigerians that the electoral body should hire high-profile private security guards or agents to protect the commission’s facilities.
While Yakubu maintained that Nigeria’s security agencies have the capacity to defend the commission’s facilities from attacks, Jega noted that INEC is a critical state institution that must be protected by the Federal government by any means necessary.
The duo spoke at a book presentation by Henry Dunant Centre for Humanitarian Dialogue (HD) titled: “Post-Election Assessment of Conflict Management Mechanisms in Nigeria, 2019 and beyond” on Thursday in Abuja.
The study conducted by Professor Freedom Onuoha and Dr Gbemisola Animasaun in partnership with the Embassy of the Federal Republic of Germany, Governments of Canada and Norway was aimed at ascertaining whether prevailing conflicts had a bearing on the elections and their outcomes or not, among other objectives. Read more
Naira redesign: Give out old naira notes – Femi Adesina mocks hoarders (Vanguard)
Special Adviser to President Muhammadu Buhari on Media and Publicity, Femi Adesina, has advised rich Nigerians hoarding old naira notes to give them out to the less privileged at festive periods.
Adesina made this known on Friday in an article entitled ‘My Naira note is newer than yours.’
Recall that Buhari unveiled the new naira notes on 23rd November following the announcement of the Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) Godwin Emefiele to redesign the naira as part of monetary policy to combat hoarding of banknotes outside the banking system.
Emefiele had said, “There was an urgent need to take control of currency in circulation and to address the hoarding of Naira banknotes outside the banking system, the shortage of clean and fit banknotes in circulation and the increase in counterfeiting of high-denomination Naira banknotes. It is on this basis that I gave my approval for the redesign of the ₦200, ₦500 and ₦1000 banknotes.” Read more
Sharon Stone tears up as she recounts backlash against her support of AIDS charity AMFAR — Red Sea Festival (Variety)
An emotional Sharon Stone told a talk at Saudi Arabia’s Red Sea Film Festival on Friday that her decision to get behind AIDS research fundraising organisation amfAR in the mid-1990s had been a career-destroying move at the time, but one she never regretted.
The actress, artist and activist explained she had been incredulous when the organisation first approached her in 1995 to stand in for then-chairwoman Elizabeth Taylor at its famous annual fundraising event in Cannes Film Festival.
“I had pretty big shoes to fill with Elizabeth Talyor at amfAR… When I was approached in Cannes, I was like, ‘Can I take Elizabeth’s place?’”
Stone discussed the proposition with her then-publicist Cindy Berger. Read more
David Harbour reveals Madonna asked him to audition for W.E. as she thought he was ”sexy” (FilmNews)
David Harbour has claimed Madonna asked him to audition for her 2011 movie W.E. because she thought he was “sexy”.
The Stranger Things actor revealed during a recent appearance on Jimmy Kimmel Live! that he landed the role of Ernest Simpson, socialite Wallis Simpson’s second husband, in the drama because Madonna found him attractive in the 2008 film Revolutionary Road.
“I got a call from a casting director that I knew very well saying they’re putting together a top-secret movie read-through, but you just have to show up at the St. Regis (hotel) and go in this room, and all will be revealed,” he recalled.
Harbour asked the casting director why he was being pursued for the project and she reluctantly replied, “You have a sex scene in (Revolutionary Road), and they thought you were sexy.” Read more
Indonesia set to punish sex before marriage with jail time (BBC)
Indonesia’s parliament is expected to pass a new criminal law this month that will punish sex outside marriage with imprisonment of up to a year.
Bambang Wuryanto, a politician involved in the draft, said the code could be passed as early as next week.
The law, if passed, would apply to Indonesian citizens and foreigners alike.
Punishment for adultery can only take effect if there are parties who lodge complaints to the authorities.
For those who are married, the party entitled to lodge a complaint is the perpetrator’s husband or wife. Read more
“Indiana Jones 5” title confirmed as Harrison Ford makes swashbuckling return in new trailer (Metro)
Harrison Ford has returned to his adventurous roots as Indiana Jones as his character takes on a new adventure in the official trailer.
The fifth installment, is the first not to be directed by Steven Spielberg, who serves as a producer.
Ford dons his famous fedora for one last time, alongside Fleabag’s Phoebe Waller-Bridge, Tobey Jones, Mads Mikkelsen, and Jonathan Rhys-Meyers, with the film’s prologue set in 1944 but concluding in 1969.
Disney treated fans to the official trailer for Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny which stars the 80-year-old actor front and centre, facing new enemies after coming out of retirement. Read more
Elton John announced as Glastonbury 2023 headliner (DailyMail)
After months of speculation Elton John was the first headliner announced for Glastonbury’s 2023 Festival on Friday.
The music legend, 75, is set to take to the Pyramid stage next summer at Somerset’s Worthy Farm and could join the likes of Harry Styles and Eminem.
He had previously announced a final show in 2019 after vowing to never tour again, however, he’s since done a U-turn and has taken to the road again after having a ‘restful break at home’ – with his current tour now being his last.
The annual event, held at Worth Farm in Somerset, will take place from Wednesday 21st June to Sunday 25th June next year. Read more
Iggy Pop praises “incredible style” and “colour” Taylor Hawkins brought to new album Every Loser (NME)
Iggy Pop has paid tribute to Taylor Hawkins by praising the “incredible style” and “colour” the late Foo Fighters drummer brought to his forthcoming new album ‘‘Every Loser’’.
Speaking to NME in this week’s Big Read cover interview, the punk icon praised the numerous musicians who contributed to the new record – which is out January 6, 2023 – including Chad Smith of Red Hot Chili Peppers and former guitarist Josh Klinghoffer, Guns N’ Roses bassist Duff McKagan, Blink 182‘s Travis Barker, Pearl Jam guitarist Stone Gossard and Jane’s Addiction’s Dave Navarro and Eric Avery.
He also spoke in detail about what Hawkins – who died while on tour in Bogotá, Colombia in March – brought to tracks ‘Comments’ and ‘The Regency’.
“Taylor came in with incredible style,” the artist recalled. Read more
”No surrender”: Ragtag militia helps hold Ukraine line in Donbas (RFI)
Underarmed and with limited ammunition, Volodymyr Regesha is adamant his volunteer battalion won’t be joining the Ukrainian army even if it means taking their chances on the front.
For nearly eight years, the leader of “Santa’s Unit” has helped bolster Ukraine’s frontline in the eastern Donbas region, insisting that they have done it on their own terms.
“The motivation is simple. An enemy has come to my land. Period. No more motivation is needed,” the hulking figure with a thick, greying beard told AFP.
“For us, success is signified by the fact that we do not retreat, but hold on to these positions with our teeth,” Regesha said while taking gentle drags on a cigarette as salvos of Russian artillery exploded in the distance, rattling the windows of his cottage. Read more
Egypt 2023: Flying Eagles spank Paul Academy in friendly (Nation)
Nigeria’s U20 Boys, Flying Eagles yesterday whipped Paul E Sports Academy 5-0 as the team continued its re-building process in preparations for next year’s U20 Africa Cup of Nations in Egypt.
Jonas Emmanuel opened the scoring in the 10th minute while Emmanuel Ekpenyong doubled the lead eight minutes before half time.
Substitute Obiakor Ifeshinachi bagged a brace in 65th and 71st minutes before Badamasi Umar set up Abdurahman Adam to complete the comprehensive victory for the seven-time African champions.
Coach Ladan Bosso and his lieutenants will continue the re-building process as the two-time World Cup runners-up play Capital FC on Friday and Kebbi-Selected team tomorrow. Read more
2022 World Cup: Baba Rahman, Alidu Seidu return to Ghana’s starting XI to face Uruguay (MyJoy)
Otto Addo has made two changes to Ghana’s starting eleven to face Uruguay in their final Group H game at the 2022 World Cup at Al Janoub Stadium.
Baba Rahman and Alidu Seidu have made a return to the lineup after sitting out against South Korea for Tariq Lamptey and Gideon Mensah to come in.
It is otherwise an unchanged team from the 3-2 win on Monday that has revived the Black Stars’ chances of making it into the last 16.
Ati Zigi is in the post while Daniel Amartey and Mohammed Salisu are the central defenders, as Ghana lineup in a 4-2-3-1 formation. Read more
Argentina wary of Australia’s speed ahead of World Cup clash (RFI)
Argentina’s Rodrigo De Paul said the South American team are wary of Australia’s height and speed ahead of their World Cup last-16 clash in Doha on Saturday.
The midfielder pointed to the Socceroos’ flying wingers Craig Goodwin and Mathew Leckie as the danger men.
“They are a very fast team that places a lot of emphasis on the flank players,” said De Paul, who has played every minute for Argentina in Qatar.
“Tall guys, tall centre-backs, we’ll have to avoid giving away free-kicks around the box. We’ll have to be careful (of their) very fast wingers, that’s their strength, counter-attacking.” Read more
F1 cancels Chinese GP in 2023 due to Covid-19 restrictions (Guardian)
Formula One has announced that next year’s Chinese Grand Prix will be cancelled amid continuing coronavirus restrictions in the country.
The sport is now facing a four-week hole in the 2023 calendar, with the defunct round in China, which was scheduled for 16 April, sandwiched by races in Melbourne on 2 April and Azerbaijan on 30 April. But it is understood F1 leaders are in dialogue with a number of interested venues about filling the gap to ensure a record 24 rounds still go ahead.
The cancellation of the race in China will mark the fourth season it has been scrubbed from the schedule. It last took place in 2019, when it was won by Lewis Hamilton.
The 2023 season will start in Bahrain on March 5 and conclude in Abu Dhabi on 26 November. F1 expects to confirm in the new year whether the round in Shanghai will be replaced. Read more
ATP top 10 prize-money earners in 2022: Novak Djokovic leads the way as Nick Kyrgios cracks top 10 (Tennis365)
Novak Djokovic topped the list of ATP top 10 prize-money earners in 2022 on the back of his massive payday at the ATP Finals, but he came up well short of his own record for most prize money won during a single season.
Despite playing in only 11 tournaments this year, the 21-time Grand Slam winner collected $9,934,582 with the bulk of that coming from his unbeaten ATP Finals title-run and Wimbledon trophy.
That $9,9m figure is some way off his record-breaking season in 2015 when he walked away with $21,146,145 in prize-money earnings.
This year’s list also features the usual suspects like Rafael Nadal and Stefanos Tsitsipas, but there are also a few newcomers to the top 10. Read more
Pierre Gasly ‘‘won’t lie’’, admits he found 2022 with AlphaTauri less ‘‘enjoyable’’ (PlanetF1)
Pierre Gasly has given an honest assessment of what was a disappointing final season for him with AlphaTauri before joining Alpine.
The Frenchman’s move to a works team representing his home country, confirmed in early October, was understandable in any case, but even more so after how things had turned out for AlphaTauri in 2022.
The previous year, Gasly had been a regular on the front three rows of the grid with some excellent qualifying performances, he enjoyed a podium finish when third in Azerbaijan and scored a career-high 110 points across the campaign.
But this time around, he contributed a lowly 23 – his poorest return in any of his five full F1 seasons – as the Italy-based team slipped from sixth to ninth in the Constructors’ Championship. Read more