UNILAG ASUU passes vote of no confidence in pro-chancellor (Punch)
The Academic Staff Union of Universities has passed a vote of no confidence in the Pro-Chancellor and Chairman of the Governing Council, Dr Wale Babalakin.
The ASUU Chairman, Dr Dele Ashiru, said the decision was taken at a congress of the union.
“Dr Wale Babalakin is now a persona non grata on our campus. We don’t want to see him again anywhere in the university. He is no longer needed,” he added.
He said other resolutions of the congress would soon be released in a statement.
The varsity management, led by Prof Toyin Ogundipe, had been embroiled in a fight with the governing council, led by Babalakin. Read more
Lagos State announces alternative routes as Eko Bridge is closed for repair works (Guardian)
The Lagos State Government has announced alternative routes for motorists as a section of Eko Bridge is closed to enable rehabilitation works on worn-out bearings noticed between Alaka and Costain portion inwards Apongbon.
The Special Adviser to the Governor on Works and Infrastructure Engr. Aramide Adeyoye said in a statement that it became necessary to close a section of the bridge to prevent endangering the lives of commuters using the bridge, pending commencement of repairs.
She stated that despite the inconvenience that may arise from the closure, the government resorted to immediate closure to prevent a situation that could lead to loss of lives in the event that the worn-out section of the bridge gives way. Read more
Coronavirus: Lagos quarantines four children, two others (Punch)
The Lagos State Commissioner for Health, Prof. Akin Abayomi, has said the three suspected cases that were announced to be in isolation on Monday have tested negative.
Abayomi at a briefing on Thursday said six more suspected cases are currently in isolation at the Infectious Disease Hospital, Yaba.
“The three in isolation tested negative, there was someone from France, another from England and the third person from China. They are negative and have been discharged.
“Subsequently, we have admitted four children (from the same family) and their teacher. They travelled in from the United State of America, they have been in closed proximity to someone who has Coronavirus infection. Read more
Man bags 4 months imprisonment over N1.8m fraud (DailyTrust)
Justice Darius Khobo of the Kaduna State High Court has sentenced one Abdulrasheed Imam (aka Alkanun Da Woru) to four months imprisonment for impersonation and fraud. News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that Imam was prosecuted by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, Kaduna Zonal Office on a two-count charge. Imam was sentenced after he pleaded guilty to the charge bordering on impersonation and cheating to the tune of N1,895,000 (One Million Eight Hundred and Ninety-five thousand Naira). Read more
Father of alleged sexually molested 7-yr-old granted bail (Vanguard)
Vincent Fadunmade, the father of a 7-year-old girl (name withheld), who was alleged to have been sexually molested by a teacher of His Grace Group of Schools, Ilorin, has been granted bail in the sum of N200, 000.
Fadunmade was dragged to court for allegedly threatening to bring down the school if the management failed to reduce its levies.
He was also alleged to have threatened to kill founders of the school, Apostle Joshua Adekanye and his wife, Mrs Toyin.
The defendant was further accused of turning violent and on several occasions, attempted to assault staff of the school. Read more
New bill proposes jail terms for importers, users, sellers of generators (Guardian)
Anybody who engages in the importation, sales and use of electricity generating sets is guilty of an offence and upon conviction would be liable to imprisonment for a term of not less than ten years.
This is the sanction provided in a fresh Bill introduced TO the Senate on Wednesday with the aim of curbing environmental pollution.
Tagged “A Bill for an Act to prohibit/ban the importation/ use of generating sets,” the bill also seeks to facilitate the development of the power sector. Read more
Kaduna bomb scare suspect transferred to Police headquarters, Abuja (DailyTrust)
A middle-age man, Nathaniel Samuel, allegedly caught with a suspected improvised explosive device at the Living Faith Church in Sabon Tasha area of Chikun Local Government Area, Kaduna State. Nathaniel Samuel, who was arrested for allegedly attempting to bomb the Living Faith Church, Sabon Tasha in Chikun local government area of Kaduna state, has been transferred to Nigeria Police Force (NPF) Headquarters in Abuja. EDITOR’S PICK: Man caught with IED causes bomb scare in Kaduna Daily Trust gathered that the Kaduna state Police Command transferred him to the headquarters for further investigation last month. Police spokesman in Kaduna, ASP Mohammed Jalige, told Daily Trust that the suspect was taken to Abuja for what he termed “discreet investigation.” Read more
I am not involved in Sanusi’s removal – Buhari (Punch)
The Presidency has said that the President, Major General Muhammadu Buhari (retd.), was not involved in the dethronement of Muhammadu Sanusi II as the Emir of Kano.
“All such insinuations are untrue, malicious and politically-motivated”, it said on Wednesday in a statement by presidential media aide, Mr Garba Shehu.
The statement came a few hours after the former governor of Kano State, Senator Rabiu Kwankwaso, alleged that Buhari knew about the sacking of Sanusi. Read more
El-Rufai names Sanusi chancellor of Kaduna State University (Guardian)
Less than 24 hours after he appointed him into the board of Kaduna State Investment Promotion Authority, Governor Nasir El-Rufai has named former Emir of Kano Muhammadu Sanusi II as the chancellor of Kaduna State University.
“On behalf of the government and people of Kaduna State, Malam Nasir El-Rufai is delighted to appoint His Highness, Muhammadu Sanusi II as the Chancellor of the Kaduna State University,” Elrufai’s spokesman Muyiwa Adekeye said in a statement. “In public life, His Highness has demonstrated a strong commitment to education.”
“The Kaduna State Government has no doubt that as Chancellor, His Highness Muhammadu Sanusi, would provide symbolic and substantive leadership in raising the profile of KASU as an emerging centre of learning on the national and global level.” Read more
Air Force kills terrorists, destroys hide out in Borno (DailyTrust)
The Nigerian Air Force (NAF) says the Air Task Force (ATF) of Operation Lafiya Dole has neutralized dozens of Boko Haram Terrorists (BHTs) at Bula Korege on the fringes of the Sambisa Forest in Borno State. It said the operation was in continuation of its Operation Decisive Edge. Air Force spokesman, Air Commodore Ibikunle Daramola, in a statement, said the air strikes were conducted in two waves of attack on 6 March 2020 sequel to credible intelligence reports indicating that the BHTs had relocated some of their fighters to the settlement to reinforce the location preparatory for attacks on troops’ locations and surrounding civilian settlements. Read more
Man forced to self-isolate with body of dead sister for 36 hours (Mirror)
Actor Luca Franzese was forced to remain in isolation with his sister’s corpse in Naples, Italy.
A devastated brother released a heartbreaking video after being forced to self-isolate with his sister’s body after she died from coronavirus.
Funeral services reportedly refused to remove the body of tragic Teresa Franzese, 47, who died on Saturday evening in Naples, Italy.
Her brother – actor Luca Franzese, who starred in popular TV show Gomorra – posted an emotional video on Facebook calling for help.
In it he stated “Italy has abandoned us”.
Teresa’s body is visible in the background of the clip.
She was tested for coronavirus after her death, it has emerged. Read more
Muslim politician responds to troll’s hateful tweets by helping to pay his medical bills (Metro)
A Muslim politician responded to a constituent’s hateful tweets by helping to pay the man’s medical bills. Qasim Rashid, a Democrat running for Congress in Virginia, was upset after receiving ‘deeply hurtful’ tweets from Oscar Dillon, 66, claiming that Islam promoted rapes and beheadings. But instead of lashing out at the bigotry, Rashid looked into Dillon’s background, and discovered he’d launched a GoFundMe page to pay medical bills after his wife suffered a life-threatening pulmonary embolism. He donated $55, with the cash also helping towards fitting accessibility features to the Dillons’ home in Fredricksburg. And Rashid’s good deed quickly prompted a remorseful response from Dillon. The politician tweeted: ‘Last week a Conservative constituent sent me deeply hurtful anti-Muslim tweets. Read more
Climate change: New rules could spell end of ‘throwaway culture’ (BBC)
New rules could spell the death of a “throwaway” culture in which products are bought, used briefly, then binned.
The regulations will apply to a range of everyday items such as mobile phones, textiles, electronics, batteries, construction and packaging.
They will ensure products are designed and manufactured so they last – and so they’re repairable if they go wrong.
It should mean that your phone lasts longer and proves easier to fix.
That may be especially true if the display or the battery needs changing. Read more
Coronavirus conference canceled in New York because of coronavirus (NYPost)
A Big Apple conference about the coronavirus has been canceled — because of the coronavirus, according to a report.
The Council on Foreign Relations was due to hold a roundtable titled “Doing Business Under Coronavirus” on Friday, but decided to cancel it amid fears that it could lead to a spread of the deadly bug, Bloomberg News reported.
The nonprofit think tank on US foreign policy and international affairs, on East 68th Street, also has called off other in-person meetings in New York, Washington, DC, and around the country from March 3 to April 3, the news outlet reported. Read more
Coronavirus: Up to 70% of Germany could become infected – Merkel (BBC)
German Chancellor Angela Merkel has warned that up to 70% of the country’s population – some 58 million people – could contract the coronavirus.
Mrs Merkel made the stark prediction at a news conference on Wednesday alongside Health Minister Jens Spahn.
She said since there was no known cure, the focus would fall on slowing the spread of the virus. “It’s about winning time,” she explained.
Her remarks came as Italy entered its second day of a national lockdown. Read more
Prince Harry prank called by Russian hoaxer pretending to be Greta Thunberg (Metro)
The Duke of Sussex appears to have fallen victim to pranksters who he told Boris Johnson is set in his ways and Donald Trump has blood on his hands. Prince Harry was targeted by the pair of Russian hoaxers who pretended to be Greta Thunberg, telling him the were distant relatives and that she wants to marry Prince George to tackle climate change. During two phone calls recorded by the pranksters, Harry also claimed that US President Donald Trump has ‘blood on his hands’. Speaking about Prime Minister Boris Johnson, the duke described him as a ‘good man’ but as someone who is set in his ways. Read more
Joe Biden extends lead over rival Sanders in Democratic presidential race (BBC)
Joe Biden has cemented his position as front-runner in the Democratic race to take on President Donald Trump in November’s White House election.
The former vice-president won Michigan, the biggest prize of primary voting on Tuesday, extending his lead over main rival Senator Bernie Sanders.
Five other states – Washington, Missouri, Mississippi, Idaho and North Dakota – voted on Tuesday.
Mr Biden also swept aside Mr Sanders in Missouri, Mississippi and Idaho. Read more
Vin Diesel teases ‘big surprise’ in Fast and Furious 9 (Metro)
Vin Diesel has teased that there’s a ‘big surprise’ coming for fans in the upcoming installment of the Fast & Furious franchise, F9. Consider us intrigued. The actor, who’s reprising his role as Dominic Toretto, was asked what Oscar winners he’d like to see appear in the movie.
Vin said: ‘There’s a big surprise coming. I can’t tell anyone [but] it is so awesome!’ ‘It’s a testament to the franchise, it’s a testament to all the work that everyone has done and it’s a testament to the integrity,’ he added to ET. ‘As a thespian, as someone who started acting when I was 7 years old, it’s wonderful to dance with other acclaimed thespians and try to make magic.’ Read more
Anthony Joshua vs Kubrat Pulev under threat if coronavirus continues, says Eddie Hearn (Metro)
Eddie Hearn admits Anthony Joshua’s fight against Kubrat Pulev in June will be in danger of being postponed if the coronavirus outbreak continues to spread. Joshua is scheduled to fight the 38-year-old Bulgarian, who is the IBF’s mandatory challenger, on June 20 at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium. But following the global spread of coronavirus, several sporting events have already been postponed, while other events are being played behind closed doors. Hearn is hopeful that Joshua’s fight will be able to take place but has ruled out the prospect of the bout being behind closed doors without fans being able to attend. Read more
Chile to quarantine returning football stars Sanchez and Vidal, health ministry says (Guardian)
Chilean football stars Alexis Sanchez and Arturo Vidal will be quarantined when they return to their home country from Europe, Chile’s health minister said on Tuesday.
The players, who are signed to European clubs, are to feature in a World Cup qualifier this month.
They are due to fly first to Uruguay for a World Cup qualifier on March 26 and then to Chile to face Colombia.
Italy announced a quarantine and advised against all but non-essential travel until April 3 after its death toll from coronavirus jumped by 168 to 631 this week. Read more
Formula E keen to expand operations in Africa (BBC)
Electric motorsport series Formula E is seeking to expand its operations in Africa, the sport’s founder Alejandro Agag has told the BBC.
The series currently has just one race in Africa – with Morocco’s Marrakesh hosting one of the season’s 14 rounds – but this could be two within the next “12-24 months”.
The championship has not featured an African driver since it started in 2014, but there are also plans to change this.
“One of the locations we’re talking to is Cape Town,” Agag told BBC Sport Africa. Read more
Coronavirus: Gary Lineker fears ‘end of football season’ after Man City vs Arsenal news (Mirror)
The Premier League match between Manchester City and Arsenal set for Wednesday night has been postponed as the effect of the coronavirus on world sport deepens.
Gary Lineker fears it’s the “beginning of the end of the football season” after Manchester City’s Premier League clash with Arsenal was postponed.
The game was called off as a “precautionary measure” to help prevent the spread of coronavirus after Arsenal’s Europa League defeat by Olympiakos.
Several Gunners stars are in self-isolation following the last-32 clash after it emerged that Olympiakos owner Evangelos Marinakis – who had been in contact with players – has contracted COVID-19. Read more
Coronavirus: Roma ‘will not travel’ to Spain for Sevilla tie after plane not authorised (BBC)
Roma say they will not be travelling to their Europa League tie with Sevilla on Thursday because their plane from Italy is not authorised to land in Spain.
The last-16 first-leg game in Seville was already due to be played behind closed doors amid coronavirus fears.
On Tuesday, Italian side Atalanta’s Champions League game at Valencia on Wednesday went ahead as planned.
Italy has the most cases outside China with more than 10,000 and the entire country has been placed in lockdown.
Some 60 million Italians have been told to stay at home in a bid to stop the spread of coronavirus. Read more
Danny Drinkwater: Aston Villa midfielder sent home after training incident (BBC)
On-loan midfielder Danny Drinkwater’s future at Aston Villa is in doubt after a training ground incident on Tuesday.
Drinkwater was sent home by manager Dean Smith after clashing with team-mate Jota.
The 30-year-old midfielder is on loan at Villa Park from Chelsea for the rest of the season having spent the first half of the campaign at Burnley.
Drinkwater, who has three England caps, has made four appearances for Villa since joining on 7 January. Read more
Brighton vs Arsenal scheduled to go ahead after Man City game is postponed (Metro)
Brighton have confirmed that their Premier League match against Arsenal this Saturday is still scheduled to go ahead after the Gunners’ fixture against Manchester City on Wednesday evening due to the coronavirus. The decision to postpone the match ‘as a precautionary measure’ following the news that Olympiacos’ owner Evangelos Marinakis had contracted the virus. Arsenal played the Greek team in the Europa League on February 27 and Marinakis had come into contact with both players and staff at the Emirates Stadium. Arsenal have said that risk of the players contracting the virus is ‘extremely low’ but members of the squad have been told to observe a 14-day period of self-isolation starting from the time they came into contact with Marinakis. Read more