We don’t have documents backing N6.7b fuel subsidy payment, CBN tells Reps (Guardian)
The Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), yesterday, disclosed that it had no documents backing the N6.7 trillion fuel subsidy payment claim of the Federal Government.
Its Governor, Godwin Emefiele, made the disclosure during hearing of the House of Representatives special ad hoc committee on petroleum products subsidy regime in Nigeria from 2017 to 2021.
At the commencement of the investigative hearing, the CBN governor told the lawmakers that he could only answer questions that are related to technical matters concerning subsidy payments.
“I will be able to provide answers here. But if they are outside the technical aspects of the subsidy transactions, then I will not be able to respond,” he said. Read more
Lagos empowers 2,145 indigent citizens (Punch)
The Lagos State Government has disclosed that 2,145 vulnerable residents whose businesses were affected by the COVID-19 pandemic have been trained through the Lagos-Cares project.
According to a statement on Thursday, the Commissioner for Women Affairs and Poverty Alleviation, Mrs Cecilia Dada, stated this at an event held in Apapa.
She said, “The government understands the effect that the COVID-19 pandemic caused, as such, the NG-Lagos Cares project organised by the ministry in collaboration with the World Bank and the Federal Government is a socio-economic intervention initiative targeted at the vulnerable and indigents residents in Lagos State, irrespective of their ethnicity, beliefs and religion, as part of the move to ease the impact of the pandemic and make them financially independent.
“Today, 2,145 vulnerable residents whose businesses were affected by the pandemic have been trained and the closing ceremony for this social intervention programme is being directed at self-reliance, such that vulnerable residents across the state can support their families and contribute to the greater Lagos vision.” Read more
Crayon thrills at StreetFoodz 3 regional audition in Lagos (Nation)
As FoodbayTV, the organiser of food reality tv show, StreetFoodz, prepares for season three, Mavin recording act, Crayon led fans to the Ikeja City Mall on August 7, 2022, for the regional audition in Lagos.
The audition, which had previously been held in Abuja and Enugu attracted glitz and glamour to the Lagos audition.
In a brief chat with Femi Ogundoro, the co-founder and CEO of Maxima Media Group spoke on the regional audition experience saying the experience from Abuja to Enugu and Lagos has been amazing.
“The audition has been amazing, the audition started in Abuja to Enugu and Lagos. We received over 2,000 entries in all and I can tell you that we have received more quality entries than we have ever received on this show. Before now, I felt a lot of people looked down on the platform but now, they are beginning to see potential and see that there’s a lot more to come. we have picked six lucky finalists from each region to kick off the show,” he said. Read more
Apapa Port: Stakeholders decry activities of non-state actors against Presidential Taskforce (ThisDay)
Stakeholders in the maritime industry have decried the activities of non-state actors along the Apapa port corridor in undermining the effort of the Enlarged Presidential Port Standing Task Team (PSTT).
Speaking at a meeting with key stakeholders in the industry, the Executive Secretary of the Nigerian Shippers’s Council (NSC), Emmanuel Jime pointed out the need for the country to maintain port efficiency in the face of the drive for more revenue generation.
Jime stressed that the gathering provides an avenue for all relevant stakeholders to share their opinions on making the port more efficient.
He encouraged PSTT and relevant stakeholders in the industry to support efforts that would improve efficiency in line with the ease of doing business demanded by the federal government. Read more
ljoya Rumble competition holds at Teslim Balogun Stadium tomorrow (Guardian)
Over 100 participants are expected to compete for the $1,000 at stake in the maiden ljoya Rumble, a dance competition organised by Real Made in Africa Concept.
According to the organisers, the competition, scheduled to hold at Teslim Balogun Stadium, Surulere, Lagos, tomorrow, is a family entertainment show that seeks to reward talented youths.
The project, they said, would spotlight the role of dance as a tool for advocacy and youth empowerment. Senior Partner, Real Made in Africa, Churchill Edore, said: “We intend doing this every month across local councils in Lagos and then from city to city in the country. We are actually looking for sponsors so we could take enough youths off the streets.”
“Our plan is to make it a big show where people can view it live and we hope to start that in December 2022. People will be able to vote for their favourite dancers. This is just the launch to create awareness.” Read more
Develop stronger music brand for Nigeria, Runsewe charges PMAN (Tribune)
The Director General National Council for Arts and Culture, OtumbaSegunRunsewe has charged the Performing Musicians Employers Association of Nigeria (PMAN) to utilise the music platform at their disposal to develop a strong brand that will unify the country.
Runsewe who received the executive members PMAN at the council’s office in Abuja recently said the association has a big role to play in spreading the message of unity to heal the wounds and rekindle the hopes, yearnings and aspirations of Nigerians.
He stated that the time was ripe for a strong collaboration between the National Council for Arts and Culture and PMAN in developing and promoting a strong Nigerian brand through music, adding that in other parts of the world, music is an important tool to drive home the demands of the people and at the same time, get the attention of the government of the day.
NCAC boss who is also the President of the World Crafts Council for African Region reiterated the need for the association to remain focused and create a platform for all musicians in Nigeria to have a unifying voice. Read more
Oyo court jails 7 Yahoo boys for internet fraud (Guardian)
Justice Bayo Taiwo of Oyo State High Court, sitting in Ibadan, has convicted and sentenced seven Internet fraudsters to various jail terms.
The convicts: Ogunyemi Olajide Temitope, Olamilekan Fafiolu Quadri, Olamilekan Paul Akinyemi, Ayegbusi Ayokunle, Taiwo Azeez Dolapo, Adeogun Usman Oluwatobiloba and Oyewumi Michael Oluwapelumi, were jailed on August 8 and 9, 2022.
They were convicted after pleading guilty to one-count separate charge, upon their arraignment by the Ibadan Zonal Command of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC).
Based on their pleas, the prosecution prayed the court to convict and sentence them accordingly. Justice Taiwo thereafter convicted and sentenced Temitope, Quadri, Akinyemi and Ayokunle to six months community service each and ordered that “any of the convicts who fails to report at any point in time to their designated places assigned for the six months community service, shall be sentenced to three years imprisonment at the end of the community service”. Read more
We’ve not abandoned kidnapped doctor’s family — University (Vanguard)
The management of Gregory University, Uturu, GUU, Abia State, has denied reports that it has abandoned the family of the kidnapped medical doctor, Prof. Uwadinachi Iweha, since his abduction.
Iweha, Provost of the College of Medicine of the university, who was kidnapped on Sunday, June 5, 2022, at about 4pm, in front of his residence at Umuajameze Ezeleke village, Umuopara, in Umuahia South council area, is yet to be seen since the incident.
Women of the Umuopara clan had, a few days ago, protested the continued detention of the popular medical doctor, nine weeks after his abduction.
The family of the kidnapped medical doctor said the university has been laid back in the quest for his release. Read more
Rwanda, DR Congo leaders to begin talks to end regional tensions (VOA)
US Secretary of State Antony Blinken said Rwanda and Democratic Republic of Congo have agreed to begin talks to ease the tension over fighting in eastern Congo. Blinken, speaking in Rwanda Thursday, said he also raised human rights concerns and the detention of U.S. permanent resident Paul Rusesabagina.
Blinken said the presidents of Rwanda and Democratic Republic of Congo, Paul Kagame and Felix Tshisekedi, respectively, have agreed to open direct communications aimed at ending tensions in eastern Congo.
The two leaders have accused each other of supporting rebel groups in the chronically volatile region.
Blinken in his address warned that supporting and cooperating with armed groups will endanger local communities and threaten central Africa’s stability. He urged the two countries to be respectful of each other’s territory. Read more
Johnson & Johnson to stop selling talcum powder (BBC)
Johnson & Johnson (J&J) will stop making and selling its talc-based baby powder around the world from next year.
The announcement comes more than two years after the healthcare giant ended sales of the product in the US.
J&J faces tens of thousands of lawsuits from women who allege its talcum powder contained asbestos and caused them to develop ovarian cancer.
But the company reiterated its view that decades of independent research shows the product is safe to use.
“As part of a worldwide portfolio assessment, we have made the commercial decision to transition to an all cornstarch-based baby powder portfolio,” it said in a statement. Read more
Tommy Lee, 59, shocks fans as full-frontal nude picture appears on his Instagram (Metro)
Followers of actor Tommy Lee have been left shocked as a very graphic image appeared on his Instagram page.
The Motley Crue star, 59, has been firmly in the spotlight in recent months following the release of Disney+ show Pam and Tommy.
Now the musician is making headlines again – after a full-frontal nude photo was posted to his social media.
On Thursday, a photograph appeared on Tommy’s Instagram with the caption ‘Ooooopppsss.’ Read more
Cartoonist Jean-Jacques Sempé dies aged 89 (RFI)
French prime minister Elisabeth Borne led the tributes to the cartoonist Jean-Jacques Sempé whose death was announced on Thursday.
The co-creator of Le Petit Nicholas, died at his holiday home surrounded by his family and friends, said Marc Lecarpentier, his friend and biographer. He was 89.
In a tweet showing the cover of one of his works, Borne hailed Sempé’s range and humour.
“With Sempé, it was sometimes tears in your eyes because you were laughing. Tonight, it’s tears of emotion,” said Borne.
Born in 1932 in Pessac in the Gironde region in south-western France, Sempé dreamed of a career in music before pursuing his passion for drawing. Read more
Netflix dark comedy on domestic violence wows India (BBC)
Domestic violence is no laughing matter, but a dark comedy streaming on Netflix on the topic is wowing audiences in India.
Starring Bollywood actress Alia Bhatt, Shefali Shah and Vijay Verma in the lead roles, Darlings is the story of a young Muslim couple in love – and violence and revenge.
The film opens with the lovers – Badrunissa (Bhatt) and Hamza (Verma) – deciding to get married, but theirs is not a happily-ever-after story.
Three years into the marriage, the couple have made a home in a lower middle-class housing tenement, but Badrunissa is sleeping with the enemy.
He’s the classic abuser, who batters her every night and says sorry in the morning. His justification for hitting – and her acceptance of it – is love. “Yes I’m a bastard but I hit you only because I love you,” he says. Read more
Viewers ‘grossed’ out by mother-daughter duo who spend time ‘naked and in bed’ together (Metro)
Viewers have been left pretty uncomfortable by the return of a TLC series that shows the close bond between mothers and daughters.
A really close bond.
So close in fact that one mother and daughter duo enjoy spending time together, naked and in bed.
Yep, you read that right.
sMothered is all about the intense relationships between mothers and daughters, and the first episode of season four kicked off with 46-year-old Francia and her 27-year-old daughter Paula.
The episode follows their normal life at home, which actually includes Paula walking around her house, making smoothies and waking up her mum – all without any clothes on. Read more
Kenya vote count continues in tight race as observers deem election ‘peaceful’ (RFI)
Kenyans are waiting with bated breath for the official announcement of their next president, a tight race between Deputy President William Ruto and veteran politician and former prime minister Raila Odinga.
Although there have been a few glitches in Tuesday’s election, many have noted that the Independent Electoral and Boundaries Commission (IEBC) has been carrying out its duties and the atmosphere was peaceful and conducted well and efficiently, especially in comparison to the tumultuous vote in 2013 and 2017.
“The IEBC has been able to ensure that the transmission of results to the e-portal has been done in real time,” said political analyst and lawyer Elias Mutuma.
He is referring to the electronic transfer of vote tallies (form 34B) from the constituencies around the country to the central vote tally, located at Bomas Kenya in Nairobi. Read more
2 boxers to share N1.5m at GOtv Boxing Night 26 (Guardian)
Two boxers at the forthcoming GOtv Boxing Night 26 will share from an additional N1.5 million incentive introduced by the promoters, Flykite Productions. The new incentive is in addition to the amounts the boxers stand to earn for participation.
The winner of the Mojisola Ogunsanya Memorial Trophy for the best boxer will go home with the traditional cash prize of N1 million, while the runner-up, a new category, will go home with N500,000.
Giving reasons for the introduction of the new category, Flykite Productions CEO, Jenkins Alumona, said it is to reward boxers for the efforts they put into their craft and further motivate them.
“We’re conscious of the fact that boxers train and work hard to reach the level they have and deserve to be rewarded accordingly. Read more
Russell’s jersey number retired by all NBA teams (BBC)
The NBA will honour late 11-time champion Bill Russell by retiring his jersey number six across the league.
Boston Celtics legend Russell died at the age of 88 last month.
Current players who wear six, including LeBron James, will be able to continue to use the number but it will not be issued to new players.
Centre Russell won a record 11 NBA titles and five NBA Most Valuable Player awards during a 13-year career with the Celtics.
He also captained the USA to Olympic gold in 1956 and made a significant impact as the league’s first black head coach and an equal rights pioneer. Read more
Raheem Sterling targets Champions League glory with Chelsea (Metro)
Raheem Sterling is targeting Champions League glory with Chelsea and says it was a ‘massive surprise’ to lose his starting spot at Manchester City last term.
Chelsea became champions of Europe for the second time in the club’s history in 2020-21 under current boss Thomas Tuchel, a trophy Sterling has never won, with Pep Guardiola unable to guide his team to glory in the competition thus far.
Chelsea beat City in that final – nine years on after they won it the first time in 2011-12 – with Sterling on the losing side, a feeling he has not been used to since he moved to the Etihad Stadium in 2015 from Liverpool.
The 27-year-old was a key player at City as they dominated English football, helping them win four Premier League titles, five League Cups and the FA Cup. Read more
Northern caucus picks Ibrahim Gusau as next NFF president (Guardian)
There are strong indications that the Chairman of Chairmen on the current board of the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF), Ibrahim Gusua, has been endorsed by the Northern caucus as the next president of the Federation.
Barring any last minute changes, the emergency general assembly of the NFF will hold in Yenagoa, Bayelsa State, on August 16, where the date for the NFF elections would be announced.
Already, some insiders have disclosed that the election will hold on September 21. The Guardian learnt, yesterday, that the Northern caucus has vowed to return the NFF presidency to their zone, just as the group is reportedly opposed to the return of incumbent president, Amaju Pinnick, who came into office in 2014.
A source hinted yesterday that the group has commenced ‘an underground move’ to lobby other interested candidates from the north to queue behind Gusau, with the view to having a consensus candidate from the zone. Read more
NFF writes FIFA, seeks postponement of election till January (Sun)
The crisis rocking the Nigeria Football Federation at all fronts are still prevalent as the current board led by Amaju Pinnick has sent a letter to the Federation of International Football Association seeking for more time before the elections of the body will take place.
In a letter sent to the world body on Wednesday August 9 and signed by General Secretary, Muhhamed Sanusi, the NFF led by Amaju Pinnick asked the world body to allow it to stage the forthcoming election in January and not next month in September.
Authoritative sources revealed that the letter was already sent to FIFA before the NFF topshots informed the board members in an online platform of the federation.
The plan is to read the FIFA response at the AGA expected to take place next week. Read more
Norrie out of Canadian Open after last 16 loss (BBC)
British number one Cameron Norrie suffered a straight-set defeat by Felix Auger-Aliassime in the last 16 of the Canadian Open.
The 26-year-old was beaten 6-3 6-4 by the home favourite, who is seeded sixth.
Meanwhile, world number one Iga Swiatek also failed to reach the quarter-finals as she lost to Beatriz Haddad Maia.
The Brazilian, who beat US Open finalist Leylah Fernandez in the previous round, won 6-4 3-6 7-5.
American 10th seed Coco Gauff is also into the last eight after beating Belarusian Aryna Sabalenka 7-5 6-4 7-6 (7-4). Read more
Cameron Young not eschewing PGA Tour for LIV golf (NYPost)
One Cameron doesn’t appear to be bolting for LIV Golf after all.
After reports that reigning British Open and Players champ Cameron Smith was expected to join the Saudi-backed circuit, another report, from The Times of London on Wednesday, said that Cameron Young would follow him. That doesn’t appear to be the case, however, at least for now. Two sources told The Post that Young, a Westchester County native, is likely not headed to LIV.
A judge’s ruling denying a request by three LIV players to be allowed to participate in the PGA Tour’s FedEx Cup Playoffs, which began Thursday, may have played a part in Young’s decision, according to one of the sources. Read more