WHO says at least 8 dead in suspected Marburg outbreak

by Editor2
56 views 1 minutes read

A suspected outbreak of the Marburg virus in Tanzania has killed at least 8 people, the World Health Organization (WHO) says.

In a statement on Tuesday, the global health agency said a total of nine suspected cases of the high-fatality disease had been reported in two districts of the Kagera region in the countryโ€™s northwest.

โ€œWe would expect further cases in coming days as disease surveillance improves,โ€ WHO chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said on X.

Samples from two patients have been collected and tested for confirmation of the outbreak at Tanzaniaโ€™s national laboratory, the United Nations body said. The patientsโ€™ contacts, including healthcare workers, have been identified and were being followed up.

The WHO warned that the risk of further spread in Tanzania and the region was โ€œhighโ€ due to Kageraโ€™s location as a transit hub, with significant cross-border movement towards neighbouring Rwanda, Uganda, Burundi and the Democratic Republic of the Congo. The global risk was currently assessed as โ€œlowโ€, it added.The announcement came weeks after a Marburg outbreak was declared over in Rwanda after infecting at least 66 people and killing 15. (Aljazeera)

You may also like

Leave a Comment

Adblock Detected

Please support us by disabling your AdBlocker extension from your browsers for our website.