2023: Senator Adeola clinches Ogun West senatorial ticket (Vanguard)
A Senator representing Lagos West, Solomon Olamilekan Adeola, on Saturday, was declared the winner of the Ogun West senatorial primary election of the All Progressives Congress (APC).
Adeola, who emerged as the senatorial candidate of the party for the 2023 general election, polled 294 votes to defeat the incumbent senator, Tolu Odebiyi, who scored no vote.
The exercise, held at the Oronna Hall, Ilaro, had in attendance officials of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) led by Kolapo Ademola, party officials and security agents, including soldiers, who were on the ground to ensure adequate security.
Senators Adeola and Odebiyi, as well as their agents, were equally present at the exercise supervised by Gbenga Odukoya, who led the electoral panel committee. Read more
APC Primaries: Oshiomhole wins Edo north senatorial ticket (DailyTrust)
A former National Chairman of the All Progressives Congress (APC), Adams Oshiomhole on Friday, clinched the Edo North senatorial ticket of the party for the forthcoming 2023 election.
The former Edo State governor scored 309 votes to pick the ticket while his opponent, Sen. Francis Alimikhena, polled five votes even though he had withdrawn from the contest.
The party’s returning officer of the primary, Festus Ebia, said 317 delegates were accredited for the election, Oshiomole, scored 309, Alimikhena polled five votes while three votes were voided.
“Oshiomole having scored the majority votes of 309 and satisfied the requirement of the election is hereby declared winner,” he said.
Responding, Oshiomole commended the national body for conducting a transparent primary election.
Why PDP shunned zoning – Bode George (Punch)
A chieftain of the Peoples Democratic Party, Bode George, on Saturday, said the party decided to shun the zoning agreement for its presidency ticket for peace and unity of the party.
The elder statesman disclosed this in an interview with journalists at the venue of the PDP special convention in Abuja.
The PUNCH reports that despite the clamour and agitation for the 2023 presidency to be zoned to the south, the PDP had thrown the ticket open.
“I want to state that the party has never been in this situation and that is why I said it is an experimentation and there was a caveat because everybody thought that the zoning and rotation principle has been removed from the constitution, no. Read more
Former NIMASA DG, Ade Dosunmu dumps PDP, joins NNPP (Tribune)
A former Director-General of the Nigerian Maritime Administration and Safety Agency (NIMASA) and founding member of Lagos State People’s Democratic Party (PDP), Dr Ade Dosunmu, has joined the Nigeria Peoples Party (NNPP).
This is coming after his resignation from PDP on Thursday, May 26, 2022.
Recall that Dosunmu in his resignation letter, a copy sent to the Chairman of Ward ‘B’ Apapa Local Government, Lagos State, had said his decision to leave the party after spending 23 years was because his ideas no longer align with what obtains in the party.
In his statement about joining a new party at the weekend, Dosunmu said: “I write to inform the general public, my political associates and friends, that I am moving to New Nigeria Peoples Party (NNPP).” Read more
Why I withdrew from PDP presidential race –Hayatu-Deen (Sun)
Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) presidential aspirant, Mohammed Hayatu-Deen, has withdrawn from the presidential contest which is taking place on Saturday, May 28, in Abuja.
In a statement made available to Daily Sun, the economist said that after wide consultations, he decided to withdraw from the contest which he said has been ‘obscenely monetised.’
Hayatu-Deen who had previously served as a member of the Vision 2010 committee and as Chairman of the Economic Committee of the Buhari administration Transition Committee in 2015 said in a recent interview on TVC News Journalists’ Hangout, that it is a miracle Nigeria is still standing. He pointed out that Nigeria needs a strong leader that is fully knowledgeable and can maximise the potential of Nigerians.
In his statement, he said that it is regrettable that the political system has proved to be acrimonious, corrupt and self serving. Read more
At least 31 die in stampede at Rivers church event (Guardian)
At least 31 people were killed on Saturday when a stampede broke out in south Nigeria during a church charity event where food was being distributed, police said.
The disaster happened in Port Harcourt city in Nigeria’s Rivers State, local police spokeswoman Grace Iringe-Koko said, confirming a death toll of 31 people.
Local Nigerian media reported the event organised by the King’s Assembly church was offering food and gifts for the poor at a sports field.
Nigeria has seen several stampede tragedies over food distribution in recent years, including an aid agency food programme in north Borno State where seven women were trampled to death last year. Read more
ASUP suspends strike, asks members to resume work Monday (Vanguard)
Following the expiration of its two-week warning strike which it had embarked on to press home its demands from the federal government, the Academic Staff Union of Polytechnic, ASUP, has directed its members to resume work on Monday, May 30, 2022.
The umbrella body of lecturers of the nation’s public polytechnics said the decision to call off the action followed some achievement made so far in its demands.
In a statement signed by its National Publicity Secretary, Abdullahi Yalwa, Saturday, ASUP explained that the government had met four of its demands so far.
Açcording to the union, the decision to resume work was to give the federal government more time to meet the remaining five demands. Read more
Labour party foresees victory as Peter Obi’s joins fold (Sun)
The Labour Party, yesterday, stated that with the entrance of former governor of Anambra State, and erstwhile presidential aspirant of the People’s Democratic Party (PDP), Mr Peter Obi, and his supporters into its fold, the 2023 presidential election is as good as won.
“The grand entrance of His Excellency, Mr. Peter Obi, and the mass movement of his teeming supporters and followers nationwide, who are still trooping into the Labour Party, confirms to the whole world that the 2023 election is as good as won by our credible political alternatives to the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC), and the PDP, especially with the growing backing of the Nigerian people, who are already extremely tired of the mal-administation of APC and PDP governments at all levels.”
The party said this, Saturday, in a statement signed by its National Chairman, Julius Abure.
It reiterated its commitment to Labour Charter of Demand and Policy and the 3rd Force’ Alternative Agenda to rescue Nigeria from the misrule, poverty, hunger, hardship and unemployment, which the APC and the PDP have foisted on Nigerian since the return to democracy in 1999.
It further said, “The Party also wishes to reaffirm our resolved commitment to executing our Party Manifesto, as further enunciated by the Labour Charter of Demand/ Policy recently initiated by the Nigeria Labour Congress NLC and Trade Union Congress, TUC, while also reaffirming our unwavering endorsement of the Rescue Agenda of the 3rd Force Movement of Nigeria initiated by Prof Pat Utomi led National Consultative Front, NCFront, which recently adopted our Party of Mass Productivity as the ‘3rd Force’ Mega ‘Rescue’ Platform for Nigeria in the 2023 elections with over 20 million membership of the 3rd Force Movement joining the Labour Party.” Read more
Security beefed up at MKO Abiola Stadium as PDP holds convention (Guardian)
There is tight security within and outside the Moshood Abiola National Stadium, Abuja, Venue of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) National Convention.
The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN reports presence of security officers including police, Nigeria Security and Civil Defense Corps, Department of State Security, at different locations around the stadium.
Accredited delegates, media, party officials and all participants at the convention were seen subjected to screening at different points, starting from the entry gate to entrance of the velodrome of the stadium, which is the main venue of the convention.
Security vehicles were also stationed at strategic locations within the premises to forestall possible breakdown of law and order.
NAN also reports the presence of medical teams attending to participants of the convention in need of medical attention. Read more
Russia scraps age limit for new troops in Ukraine push (BBC)
Russia has scrapped its age limit for professional soldiers, paving the way for more civilian experts to be recruited for the Ukraine conflict.
President Vladimir Putin has signed a law enabling people over 40 to enlist for the armed forces. They are expected to be people of normal working age.
Previously the army had age limits of 18-40 years for Russians and 18-30 for foreigners.
Russia is presenting it as a move to recruit more technical specialists.
The new law says specialists are required to operate high-precision weapons and “experience shows that they become such by the age of 40-45”. More medics, engineers and communications experts may also be recruited. Read more
Boris on course to lose his seat and lead the Tories into an election wipeout (Metro)
Boris Johnson is on course to lose his seat at the next general election and lead his party into a wipeout.
A new poll has found the prime minister has become toxic in the key battleground seats where he secured a majority just two-and-half years ago.
Surveys have found most voters think he should quit over partygate and now new modelling has predicted the tide of anger would capsize the Conservatives in an election.
Mr Johnson’s pro-Brexit campaign in 2019 saw his party make inroads into Labour heartlands but the magic way have worn off. Read more
“Top Gun: Maverick” cruising to $150m Memorial Day opening (Variety)
At long last, Tom Cruise is entering the $100 million opening club.
Playing in 4,735 locations, the widest theatrical release in domestic box office history, “Top Gun: Maverick” is projected to earn $150 million over the holiday weekend. On a three-day scale, Paramount is predicting a $123 million haul. That’s easily a new record debut for Cruise, whose previous best — a $64.8 million opening for 2005’s “War of the Worlds” — is getting left in the dust.
The legacy sequel to Tony Scott’s swoony 1986 original kicked off with a bang, drawing a $51.8 million opening day, including $19.3 million in Thursday previews. That’s a record for Paramount Pictures, outdoing the $51.2 million opening day of 2010’s “Iron Man 2.” “Maverick,” which was co-financed and co-produced by Skydance, originally carried a projected opening between $85 million and $100 million over the long weekend, though momentum has only grown since. Read more
Ray Liotta’s fiancée, Jacy Nittolo, speaks out on beloved actor’s death (PageSix)
Ray Liotta’s fiancée, Jacy Nittolo, is reflecting on their life together following the death of the beloved “Goodfellas” star.
“My life these past couple of years have been nothing but truly magical,” she began her Instagram post dedicated to her late love.
“Ray and I share a deep love that I will cherish in my heart forever. We laughed daily and we were inseparable. The chemistry was wild in the best way. He was everything in the world to me and we couldn’t get enough of each other. The kind of real love that one dreams of.”
She continued, “He was the most beautiful person inside and out that I’ve ever known…and even that is an understatement.”
News broke Thursday that Liotta died in his sleep at the age of 67 while in the Dominican Republic. Read more
Sisi suggests Egyptians eat tree leaves as prices soar (MEMO)
In a cynical attempt to calm the Egyptian population about recent price hikes, President Abdel Fattah Al-Sisi has suggested that Egyptians eat leaves from trees just as the Prophet (peace be upon him) did.
“Sisi says that he is not worried that someone will say that a kilo of okra costs 100 Egyptian pounds because Egyptians are aware that “the Companions of the Prophet [pbuh] were trapped with the Messenger in the outskirts of Makkah for 3 years until they ate leaves. They did not ask the Messenger for food or for the earth to explode from beneath them [with riches].”
The tweet refers to the siege against the Muslim by Quraish, it ended with the Prophet’s first wife Khadijah dying and them losing all their wealth. That year is known as the Year of Sorrow and was the worst in the Prophet (pbuh)’s life. Read more
Japanese Red Army founder Shigenobu freed after 20 years (BBC)
The co-founder of the Japanese Red Army militant group has been freed from prison after serving 20 years for her part in a 1974 embassy siege.
Fusako Shigenobu, 76, had evaded capture for decades before being arrested in Osaka in 2000.
Her once-feared group had aimed to provoke a global socialist revolution through high-profile terror acts.
They carried out a series of hostage-takings and hijackings, as well as a deadly attack on an Israeli airport.
But Shigenobu served time for the 1974 attack on the French embassy in The Hague, in which the ambassador and a number of others were taken hostage by three Red Army militants for 100 hours. Read more
Why you won’t see much of Harry & Meghan at Queen Elizabeth’s Jubilee (PageSix)
Nobody puts Prince Harry and Meghan Markle in a corner. Except Queen Elizabeth.
When the Duke and Duchess of Sussex land in the UK next week to celebrate Her Majesty’s Platinum Jubilee birthday celebrations, they will be kept in the shadows over four days of events. Sources told The Post that courtiers are slightly fearful the scandal-surrounded couple will steal the 96-year-old monarch’s thunder.
However, this will be easier said than done given that the Sussexes have a gift for hitting the headlines and are sure to make news by bringing their rarely-seen children, Archie, 3, and Lilibet — who will turn 1 on June 4 — with them.
It will be the first time that the queen, who is determined to make it to as many of the events as possible despite ongoing mobility issues, will meet her great-granddaughter and namesake. Read more
Abramovich says owning Chelsea ‘honour of lifetime’ as sale set for completion (Guardian)
Roman Abramovich said Saturday owning Chelsea had been the “honour of a lifetime” after the Premier League club said the sale to a consortium led by Todd Boehly, the co-owner of baseball’s Los Angeles Dodgers, was expected to be completed by Monday.
Chelsea were put on the market in early March, days before Abramovich was sanctioned by the British government following Russia’s invasion of Ukraine.
“I am pleased this search has now come to a successful conclusion,” Abramovich said in a statement after the British government and the Premier League approved the £4.25 billion ($5.3 billion) takeover.
“It has been an honour of a lifetime to be a part of this club,” the 55-year-old Russian said in a statement.
“As I hand over Chelsea to its new custodians, I would like to wish them the best of success, both on and off the pitch”. Read more
Monaco Grand Prix: Charles Leclerc on pole after Sergio Perez crash (BBC)
Charles Leclerc took pole position for his home race after a chaotic end to qualifying at the Monaco Grand Prix.
The Ferrari driver, dominant throughout, ended 0.225 seconds clear of team-mate Carlos Sainz.
Leclerc was on an even quicker lap at the end before Red Bull’s Sergio Perez crashed at Portier, was collected by Sainz and the session was stopped.
Perez took third ahead of team-mate Max Verstappen, Leclerc’s title rival off the pace in fourth. Read more
Debut for many as Super Eagles tackle Mexico in Los Angeles (DailyTrust)
As the Super Eagles trade tackles with CONCACAF powerhouse Mexico tonight in their fifth international match at the AT & T Stadium in Dallas, State of Texas, there will be many debut appearances on the side of the three time African champions.
In five matches between the two gladiators, the North American giants have a better head-to-head record which is by way of one massive victory over the Super Eagles.
Mexico’s victory against a hurriedly assembled Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL) stars who were taken to the cleaners but their more illustrious opponents on July 3, 2021 at the Memorial Coliseum in Los Angeles in the USA in what still separates the two footballing giants.
Stanley Nwabili, Adeleke Adekunle, Imo Obot, Tope Olusesi, Seth Mayi, Uche Onwuansanya, Stephen Jude, Sunday Adetunji And Mohammed Zulkilfilu were in the squad that crumbled like a pack of cards against the Mexicans. Read more
Troost-Ekong backs Super Eagles to soar again (Punch)
Nigeria defender William Troost-Ekong believes the Super Eagles will rise again after the ir recent setbacks, PUNCH Sports Extra reports.
The Eagles have endured a disappointing campaign in the last few months first, they suffered disappointment at the 2021 Africa Cup of Nations in Cameroon where they failed to get past the Round of 16 after they lost 1-0 against Tunisia.
They had eariler recorded victories in their Group D games.
In March, Eagles then turned their focus to the World Cup qualification playoffs where they came up against Ghana.
After claiming a 0-0 draw in the first leg meeting in Kumasi, they earned a 1-1 draw in the return fixture in Abuja, a result that saw the Black Stars qualify for the finals in Qatar on the away goals rule. Read more
42 teams battle for Delta FA Cup title (Guardian)
The Chairman of Delta Football Association (DFA), Kenneth Nwamucha, is excited about the turnout of teams for the 2022 Delta FA Cup competition, which kicked off on Thursday across four venues in Delta State.
DFA had recently unveiled Asaba Airport Company as its main sponsor for the 2022 FA Cup tournament.
Speaking with The Guardian yesterday, Nwamucha stated that this year’s edition of the FA Cup recorded a huge turn out 42 teams. “I am sure this is the highest number we have recorded in Delta FA Cup competition and I am very excited,” he stated.
The competition, according to Nwamucha, is held in four venues, Warri, Sapele, Kwale and Agbor. Read more
UEFA to prevent Ukrainian, Belarusian teams from being drawn against each other (Sun)
The move comes following Russia’s invasion of Ukraine for which Belarus has been a key staging area. Teams from Russia and Ukraine were already prevented from being drawn against each other well before the conflict began earlier this year.
In March, UEFA had said Belarusian clubs and the national team will have to play all their home matches in UEFA competitions at neutral venues with no spectators allowed. Read more
Diri splashes cash gifts on victorious Bayelsa Queens, African Wrestling (Guardian)
Bayelsa State Governor, Senator Douye Diri, has given cash rewards to Bayelsa Queens, winners of the 2021/2022 Nigeria Women Football League (NWFL) Super Six competition held in Benin, Edo State, as well as medalists at the just-concluded African Wrestling Championship in Morocco.
Describing Bayelsa Queens’ performance at the tournament as sterling, Diri noted that no other team has surpassed their winning feat at the tournament, as they won all five matches and won four individual awards.
The governor enjoined members of the team to maintain the winning tempo, assuring that government will give them needed support to enable them to have a successful outing in their quest for continental glory later in the year, as representative of Nigeria at the African Women football championship.
Diri also urged sponsors of the Women’s football league to have an upward review of the prize money to encourage the development of the women’s game in the country. Read more