The French Football Federation (FFF) has parted ways with women’s national team coach Corinne Diacre on the recommendation of the executive committee.
Last month the France captain, Wendie Renard, said she would not play at the World Cup this year because she was unhappy with the team’s setup. After Renard’s decision, Marie-Antoinette Katoto and Kadidiatou Diani also said they were putting their international careers on hold. Diani said she would return only if significant changes were made. A commission was formed to look into the situation.
“Although the FFF recognises the involvement and seriousness of Corinne Diacre and her staff in the exercise of their mission, it appears that the dysfunctions observed seem, in this context, irreversible,” the FFF said in a statement.
Diacre said on Wednesday she had been shocked by the “violence” and “dishonesty” of what she saw as an attempt to destabilise her. She said she was determined to remain in charge and to “bring honour to France during the next World Cup”.
She added: “I endured, not without great suffering, the display of slander, untruths and ambitions of some and others … I have been the subject of a smear campaign that is astonishing in its violence and dishonesty.” (Guardian)