The Canadian National Exhibition has cancelled its 2020 event, marking the first time since the Second World War that Canada’s largest fair will not be held.
The annual fair had been scheduled to run from Aug. 21 to Sept. 7 at Exhibition Place in Toronto.
“Safety always comes first at the CNE, and the decision to cancel our event is the right decision during this critical time to protect the health of all Canadians,” said John Kiru, president of the Canadian National Exhibition Association, in a statement.
“We stand in solidarity with the collective effort to curb this global pandemic, and we will all do our part to ensure it happens.”
Kiru said the decision was made on May 7 in collaboration with provincial and municipal governments. (Text by CBC)