Elections: Go to courts, not the streets, Buhari tells losers (DailyTrust)
President Muhammadu Buhari has congratulated the winner of the 2023 Presidential Election and the candidate of the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC), Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu.
The President, in a statement issued Wednesday by his Senior Special Assistant on Media and Publicity, Malam Garba Shehu, said this election demonstrated democracy’s continued relevance and capability to deliver for the people it served.
He said the people’s decision had been rendered in the results announced as the candidate and himself lost their states to the opposition. Read more
I’ll work day and night to make Nigeria better – Tinubu (Vanguard)
The President-elect, Bola Ahmed Tinubu has vowed to make Nigeria great. Tinubu disclosed this on Wednesday moments after he received the Certificate of Return.
The Chairman of the Independent Electoral Commission, INEC, Professor Mahmood Yakubu handed the Certificate of Return to Tinubu having declared him the winner of the presidential election.
Tinubu won 12 states, his closest rival Atiku Abubakar of the People’s Democratic PDP, also won 12 states.
The candidate of the Labour Party, LP, Mr Peter Obi won 11 states including FCT while the candidate of the New Nigeria Peoples Party, NNPP, Rabiu Kwankwaso won one state. Read more
Suspected cultist nabbed for robbery in Lagos (Punch)
The Lagos State Police Command has arraigned a suspected cultist, Sherrif Haruna, for robbing people of their valuables in the state.
The 22-year-old suspect, popularly known as ‘Ogida’, was arraigned before Chief Magistrate P. E Nwaka at the Yaba Magistrate’s Court on four counts of conspiracy, armed robbery and cultism.
Our correspondent gathered that Haruna belong to a four-man syndicate that snatched a Toyota Camry last year June.
While the three others were arrested, Haruna escaped. Read more
Sanwo-Olu should be held responsible for attacks on Igbo in Lagos – Ohanaeze (Independent)
The Igbo socio-political organization, Ohanaeze Ndigbo, has vowed to hold the Governor of Lagos State, Babajide Sanwo-Olu, responsible for the attacks on Igbo in the state.
According to Ohanaeze, the attack in Lagos State was an attempt to pitch the Igbo against the Yoruba.
The Secretary-General of Ohanaeze Ndigbo, Okechukwu Isiguzoro, also warned that the body would hold the Oba of Lagos and MC Oluomo responsible for the attacks on the Igbo community in the state. Read more
Lagos APC congratulates Tinubu (Nation)
The chairman of the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC) in Lagos State, Pastor Cornelius Ojelabi, has congratulated the President-elect Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu on his well deserved victory at the presidential elections.
He acknowledged the wide support for Asiwaju across board despite the keen nature of the contest.
He expressed appreciation to all the leaders, members and sympathizers of APC for their diligence, perseverance, commitment, vigilance, and sacrifice in the days preceding the election, during and thereafter. Read more
AbdulRasaq: Tinubu’s victory, reward for great antecedents, consistency (ThisDay)
Kwara State Governor, Alhaji AbdulRahman AbdulRazaq, has congratulated President-elect, Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu, and the APC family nationwide on the victory at the polls.
A statement issued in Ilorin Wednesday signed by the governor’s Chief Press Secretary, Mr. Rafiu Ajakaye, said: “The victory of Asiwaju Tinubu truly deserving and a reassuring message that Nigerians ultimately value great antecedents, clear vision, national unity and security and development over other partisan considerations.
“This is a victory for national unity, as had been preached by the Progressive Governors and other statesmen across the country. Read more
JAMB dismisses 2 staff for serious misconduct (Guardian)
The Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB) has dismissed two of its staff for gross misconduct.
The JAMB Benue State Office, Markurdi’s Bilyaminu Ishaku and Andrew Anebi Candidus were listed as the sacked employees in the announcement.
The statement gave the names of the dismissed staff as Mr Bilyaminu Ishaku and Mr Andrew Anebi Candidus, from JAMB Benue State Office, Markurdi. Read more
Dangote, BUA, MTN, others to share N787b as 2022 dividend (DailyTrust)
Shareholders of five companies listed on the Nigerian Stock Exchange would share N787.8bn as dividends for their companies’ performance in full-year 2022.
Analysis of the dividends of the five companies indicates that Dangote Cement Plc declared the highest dividend and would pay N340.8bn at N20 per share to its shareholders.
This is followed by MTN Nigeria Communications Plc as all its shareholders would pocket N317.5bn at N15.6 per share. Read more
NGO condemns skits stigmatising albinos (Punch)
The Initiative for Advancement of the Albinism Cause, a Non-Governmental Organisation, has condemned social media content promoting the stigmatisation of Persons with Albinism in the society.
The founder of INAAC, Miss Joy Odigie, condemned the act in a statement issued on Wednesday and made available to journalists in Benin, Edo State, on the occasion of the 2023 Zero Discrimination Day marked every year on March 1.
Odigie said it was worrisome that discrimination had continued to heighten against the PWAs, especially owing to negative content being put out on social media. Read more
Ed Sheeran says wife Cherry Seaborn developed tumour in pregnancy (Standard)
Ed Sheeran has revealed his wife Cherry Seaborn was diagnosed with a tumour while pregnant causing him to spiral into “fear, depression and anxiety”.
The singer-songwriter said the sudden loss of his “brother” Jamal Edwards and a copyright court case all added to the sense he was “drowning” as he spent a decade finishing recording his new album “Subtract.”
Sheeran and Seaborn announced the birth of their healthy second daughter in May last year, after doctors told her “there was no route to treatment until after the birth”. The singer did not provide an update on his wife’s health. Read more
Amazon jungle: Man survives 31 days by eating worms (BBC)
A Bolivian man has described how he managed to survive for 31 days in the Amazon jungle after he got lost.
Jhonattan Acosta, 30, got separated from his four friends while out hunting in northern Bolivia.
He says he drank rainwater collected in his shoes and ate worms and other insects while hiding from jaguars and peccaries, a type of pig-like mammal.
Mr Acosta was finally found by a search party made up of locals and friends a month after he had gone missing. Read more
The Who announce one-off orchestral gig at Royal Family’s Sandringham Estate (MusicNews)
The Who are set to give a one-off performance with the Royal Philharmonic Concert Orchestra at the Royal Sandringham Estate in Norfolk.
The ”Pinball Wizard” hitmakers – Roger Daltrey, 79, and Pete Townshend, 77 – and their band will play in the grounds of the royal residence for the final date of their ”The Who with Orchestra” 2023 UK tour on August 28.
Former Verve frontman Richard Ashcroft and rockers The Lightning Seeds will support the legendary rock band. Read more
Jenna Ortega, The Weeknd, and Barry Keoghan cast in Trey Edward Shults’ new movie (Deadline)
Abel “The Weeknd” Tesfaye is set to make his feature acting debut, teaming with Waves helmer Trey Edward Shults on an untitled film that also stars Jenna Ortega and Barry Keoghan.
Plot details are being kept under wraps with the pic currently in production.
Shults will direct from a script he co-wrote with Tesfaye and his producing partner Reza Fahim. Tesfaye, Fahim, Kevin Turen and Harrison Kreiss are producing with Shultz and Ortega exec producing. Read more
More than 30 killed and dozens injured in ‘nightmare’ head-on train crash in Greece (Metro)
A passenger train carrying hundreds of people crashed head-on into a freight train at 100mph in northern Greece, killing 36 and injuring at least 85.
Several carriages were ‘completely destroyed’, while others derailed and burst into flames after the collision just before midnight Tuesday near the town of Tempe.
Many of those on board were university students returning home from holiday.
Deputy Health Minister Mina Gaga said: ‘This is a terrible tragedy that is hard to comprehend. I feel so sorry for the parents of these kids.’ Read more
Ricou Browning, the Gill-Man in Creature From the Black Lagoon, dies at 93 (THR)
Ricou Browning, who took to the water as the menacing Gill-Man in Creature From the Black Lagoon and as the creative force behind the original Flipper movie and TV show, has died. He was 93.
Browning died Monday of natural causes at his home in Southwest Ranches, Florida, his daughter Kim Browning told The Hollywood Reporter. “He had a fabulous career in the film industry, providing wonderful entertainment for past and future generations,” she said.
The Florida native also served as a stuntman on Richard Fleischer’s 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea (1954), doubled for Jerry Lewis in Don’t Give Up the Ship (1959) and “played all the bad guys in [TV’s] Sea Hunt,” he said in a 2013 interview. Read more
Belarus leader ”fully supports” China’s Ukraine peace plan (France24)
Belarus President Alexander Lukashenko told his Chinese counterpart Xi Jinping that his country “fully supports” Beijing’s proposals for ending the Ukraine war when the two leaders met Wednesday.
The state visit to the Chinese capital by Lukashenko — a staunch ally of Russian President Vladimir Putin — comes after Beijing published a position paper on Moscow’s war in Ukraine insisting it is a neutral party and calling for dialogue.
Western countries have criticised China for failing to condemn Moscow’s invasion of Ukraine, while Beijing has reacted furiously to recent claims by the United States and NATO that it may be contemplating arms transfers to Russia. Read more
Olayinka eyes Czech double with Slavia (Punch)
Slavia Prague forward Peter Olayinka has set his sights on winning the Czech league and Cup double before his contract expires in the summer.
The 27-year-old scored a brace to help the Slavists secure a vital 2-0 home win over Slovacko in the Czech Fortuna Liga match on Sunday at the Fortuna Arena.
The win took the Red and Whites to the top of the league table with 50 points from 21 matches, with a two-point advantage over Viktoria Plzen. Read more
Osimhen needs another eye surgery -Surgeon (Sun)
The surgeon who operated on Victor Osimhen’s face indicated that the Nigerian would need to get the screws and plates on his face removed.
The Super Eagles striker had several injuries in his early years at the Diego Maradona stadium. One of these injuries, a multiple eye fracture, required a three-and-a-half-hour repair procedure as well as the placement of six plates and 18 screws.
Meanwhile, due to this injury, he was unable to play for the Gli Azzurri team. As a result, he donned a mask that has since been recognized across Naples and even in the bakeries. Read more
Real Madrid favourites in Copa del Rey Clasico against stuttering Barcelona – Xavi Hernandez (ESPN)
Barcelona head coach Xavi Hernandez has said Real Madrid are the favourites going into Thursday’s Copa del Rey clash at the Bernabeu.
There will be three Clasicos within one month, with the first kicking off on Thursday when Madrid host Barca in the first leg of the semifinal, with the second leg to come at Camp Nou at the start of April after the teams meet in LaLiga on March 19.
Madrid won when the two teams met in the league earlier this season, but Barca were victorious in the Spanish Super Cup final between the two sides last month in Saudi Arabia. Read more
West Ham vice-chair Karren Brady becomes director of club’s women’s team (IrishNews)
West Ham have announced that vice-chair Karren Brady has become a director of the club’s women’s team.
Baroness Brady, fellow board member Tara Warren and director of ticketing Nicola Keye will all sit on the board of West Ham United Women.
Brady said: “I am delighted to be able to confirm this important and exciting new level of senior support for West Ham United Women, as we continue to enhance all areas of the football club and build upon our role as an equity leader in football. Read more
Toto Wolff’s wife lands 1st F1 job after Mercedes chief made ‘not realistic’ comments (Express)
Susie Wolff has been appointed managing director of the newly-founded F1 Academy in a move that will take the sport closer to bringing through its first female driver for decades. Wolff, the wife of Mercedes chief Toto Wolff, has landed an important role in advocating the advancement of women with motorsport’s latest series.
The former driver, 40, will take up the new role and report directly to F1 president and CEO Stefano Domenicali. She will be the leading figure for the F1 Academy, the new initiative that follows on from the now-defunct W Series with five teams, 15 drivers and 21 races at F1 circuits.
Some of her main responsibilities will be spearheading the development of female motorsport talent and focusing on creating a successful pathway to higher categories in the F1 pyramid. Drivers such as Jamie Chadwick have been tipped to make the step up in recent years after dominating all-female categories. Read more
Kobe Bryant’s family to get $28.5m from LA in photo case (AlJazeera)
The family of the late Kobe Bryant has agreed to a $28.5m settlement with Los Angeles County to resolve the remaining claims in a lawsuit over deputies and firefighters sharing grisly photos of the NBA star, his 13-year-old daughter and other victims killed in a 2020 helicopter crash, according to attorneys and court filings.
The figure includes a newly agreed upon payment from the county of $13.5m along with the $15m a federal jury awarded Bryant’s widow, Vanessa Bryant, at a trial in August.
The agreement resolves any future claims by Bryant’s three surviving daughters, related issues pending in state court, and other costs. A proposed settlement order, which a judge must approve, was filed Tuesday in federal court. Read more