Brazilian football legend Pele is in a ‘stable condition’ and ‘in full control of vital functions’ after being admitted to hospital in Sao Paulo.
The 82-year-old, who is currently undergoing treatment for metastatic cancer, was taken into the Albert Einstein Hospital on Tuesday with swelling all over his body and heart issues.
It was also reported that his chemotherapy treatment is no longer working and Pele was suffering from mental confusion after being admitted.
However, an update from the hospital said the three-time World Cup winner did not need to be admitted to an Intensive Care Unit [ICU].
A statement issued to the Brazilian media said: ‘After medical evaluation, the patient was taken to a common room, without the need for hospitalisation in a semi-intensive unit or ICU.
‘The former player is in full control of vital function and [in a] stable clinical condition.’
The hospital confirmed Pele had been taken into hospital ‘for a reassessment of the chemotherapy treatment of the colon tumour identified in September 2021.’
There is no time frame on Pele’s hospital stay, and his wife Marcia Aoki and carer are by his bedside.
However, Pele’s daughter Kely Nascimento, who is not in Brazil, had insisted on Tuesday that there was no need for alarm and that her father’s hospital admission is ‘no surprise or emergency’.
She posted on Instagram: ‘Lots of alarm in the media today concerning my dad’s health. He is in the hospital regulating medication.
‘There is no emergency or new dire prediction. I will be there for New Year’s and promise to post some pictures.’
Pele was hospitalised for six days last year and underwent surgery to remove a tumour in his colon. The Globo news site in Brazil said Pele was undergoing routine examinations in Sao Paulo’s Albert Einstein Hospital when the undisclosed issue was detected.
Taking on social media at the time, Pele allayed any fears over his health.
‘My friends, thank you very much for the kind messages,’ he wrote on Instagram.
‘I thank God for feeling very well and for allowing Dr Fabio and Dr Miguel to take care of my health.
‘Last Saturday I underwent surgery to remove a suspicious lesion in the right colon. The tumour was identified during the tests I mentioned last week.
‘Fortunately, I’m used to celebrating great victories alongside you. I will face this match with a smile on my face, a lot of optimism and joy for living surrounded by the love of my family and friends.’
In 2020, Pele’s son said his father was depressed over his poor health and reluctant to leave the house because he cannot walk without assistance, although Pele later publicly denied that statement.
The Brazilian had said: ‘I am good. I continue to accept my physical limitations in the best way possible but I intend to keep the ball rolling.
‘I have good days and bad days. That is normal for people of my age. I am not afraid, I am determined, confident in what I do.’
Pele is regarded as one of the greatest footballers in history and is the only player to win three World Cups.
He scored 655 goals in 700 club career games, while he also netted 77 times in 92 caps for Brazil. (DailyMail)