Jumbo pay: Court bars National Assembly from fixing members’ allowances (Punch)
A Federal High Court sitting in Lagos says it is illegal for the National Assembly to fix its own allowances.
In what is being described as a landmark judgment, Justice Chuka Obiozor said only the Revenue Mobilisation Allocation and Fiscal Commission can fix salaries for public officers.
Obiozor delivered the judgement in a suit filed by a former Vice-President of the Nigerian Bar Association, Mr. Monday Ubani.
A former lawmaker, Senator Shehu Sani, had said in March 2018 that he received N13.5m allowances monthly. Read more
Governorship candidates’ forum hails Sanwo-Olu’s milestones (Guardian)
The Forum of Governorship Candidates in Lagos State (FOGCILS) has commended Gov. Babajide Sanwo-Olu for his leadership style and infrastructural renewal projects in the state.
The group gave the commendation in a communique on Friday, jointly signed by its Convener and Secretary, Mr Akinola Obadia and Mr Shola Omolola.
The FOGCILS commended the governor for his administration’s achievements in healthcare, education, technology advancement initiatives, agriculture, women and youths empowerment, among others.
It said: “We also want to urge the governor to continue in his commitment to delivering the T.H.E.M.E.S strategic development agenda for the state.
“The forum equally expressed support for the governor’s call and request to the National Assembly for a special status for Lagos state.
“The forum also commends the Deputy Governor, Dr Obafemi Hamzat, for a cordial and harmonious working relationship with the governor, against some people’s belief when he was chosen as Sanwo-Olu’s running mate.” Read more
NBC to license all social media ‘operations’ in Nigeria –Lai Mohammed (Punch)
Minister of Information and Culture, Lai Mohammed, says the National Broadcasting Commission, will immediately commence the process of licensing all social media operations in Nigeria. The NBC is the regulator of all radio and television stations in Nigeria.
The minister announced this just as he said the Federal Government has also suspended micro-blogging platform, Twitter, which is popularly used by Nigerian youths, elite and the middle class.
The government’s action followed Twitter’s deletion of a ‘civil war’ post by the Nigerian President, Major General Muhammadu Buhari (retd.), which the social media platform said violated its policies.
Other social media platforms used by Nigerians include Facebook, Instagram, TikTok, Youtube, amongst others. Read more
Air Peace Workers Get 100% Salary Increase (DailyTrust)
An indigenous airline, Air Peace, has approved salary increase ranging from 10 to 100 per cent to different categories of staff.
The increment, according to the carrier, was coming despite the present harsh operating condition induced by COVID-19 with most of its aircraft stranded abroad.
Daily Trust reports that it was jubilation galore for workers of the airline when they got an increase in last month’s salaries.
The excited workers could not hide their joy as they embraced the Chairman and CEO of the airline, Allen Onyema, when he arrived at the domestic terminal of the Murtala Muhammed International Airport, Lagos on Friday. Read more
Twitter ban shows level of FG’ foolishness – PDP (Vanguard)
The Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, has described federal government’s suspension of micro blogging site, by the federal government as a demonstration of her foolishness among the community of civilized nations.
In a chat with our correspondent, deputy national publicity secretary of the party, Diran Odeyemi slammed the Muhammadu Buhari-led Presidency for what it called its “lawlessness and inability to abide by the rules governing operations of the twitter community.”
In announcing the ban of Twitter, Odeyemi said “The Presidency has portrayed Nigeria as if it is a nation of illiterates who cannot accept decency in their engagement with the rest of the world.”
He said, “one wonders the kind of advisers President Buhari is working with. How can you ban a means of public communication and engagement simply because they asked you to respect rules of decency in your utterances? This government should know that Nigerians are not foolish. With what they have done, nobody should be shocked at what they will do next. Read more
Nigerians react to FG suspension of Twitter (Guardian)
Nigerians on Twitter are reacting to the indefinite suspension of Twitter operations in the country.
Nigeria’s information and culture minister Lai Mohammed announced Twitter’s suspension in a statement by his media aide Segun Adeyemi.
The statement announcing Twitter’s ban was was also published on Twitter via Nigeria’s Ministry of Information and Culture’s handle.
The Nigerian government’s spokesman cited “the persistent use of the platform for activities that are capable of undermining Nigeria’s corporate existence” as the reason for the suspension.
Nigerians have taken to the platform to express their dismay on the government’s decision. Read more
SERAP threatens to sue FG over Twitter suspension (Punch)
Civil society organisation, the Socio-Economic Rights and Accountability Project has vowed to sue the Federal Government of Nigeria, over its suspension of Twitter operations in Nigeria.
The PUNCH had earlier announced that the Minister of Communication, Lai Mohammed, announced the suspension of Twitter activities on Friday via an official statement.
The statement read, “The Minister of Information and Culture, Alhaji Lai Mohammed, announced the suspension in a statement issued in Abuja on Friday, citing the persistent use of the platform for activities that are capable of undermining Nigeria’s corporate existence.”
However, checks by our correspondent showed that Twitter is still up in Nigeria as of the time of filing this report as users still have access to the platform. The minister’s statement was also silent on the time that the ban would be enforced. Read more
Police council confirms Baba as IGP (DailyTrust)
The Police Council has confirmed Usman Alkali Baba as Inspector General of Police (IGP).
The Minister of Police Affairs, Alhaji Maigari Dingyadi, announced the confirmation at the end of a meeting presided over by President Muhammadu Buhari.
Dingyadi said the confirmation of Baba as IGP was unanimous because of his track records.
The minister said Buhari directed him to ensure insecurity is brought to the barest minimum.
The President had on April 6 appointed Baba as acting Inspector General of Police. Read more
Police arrest three-man gang for stealing victim’s N572,000 through ATM (Punch)
The Oyo State Police Command has arrested three suspected armed robbers who allegedly attacked a resident of Ibadan, Ben Ama, at his residence.
The hoodlums reportedly robbed Ama of some of his valuables and dispossessed him of his ATM card which they took to a POS kiosk and used it to withdraw N572,000 from the victim’s account.
The victim was said to have been held at gunpoint by one of the gang members while the other went out to use the ATM.
The Commissioner of Police in Oyo State, Mrs Ngozi Onadeko, said this on Thursday while parading some suspects arrested for various crimes.
Some armed robbers who invaded Alaafia Estate at the Ojoo area of Ibadan on Monday were said to have used POS machines to steal victims’ money from their bank accounts. Read more
Tiananmen commemorations muted in Hong Kong (BBC)
People in Hong Kong are marking the 32nd anniversary of the Tiananmen Square massacre, but in a much more muted way than in previous years.
Macau and Hong Kong are the only places in China where people can commemorate the anniversary of the deadly 1989 crackdown by Chinese soldiers on pro-democracy demonstrators in Beijing. Estimates of the dead vary from a few hundred to several thousand.
But for the second year running, authorities in Hong Kong have banned an annual vigil for the event. They cite the ongoing coronavirus pandemic for the restrictions.
Officers closed off Victoria Park, where the annual vigil is normally held, and dispersed crowds who gathered with candles or their phone lights lit. Read more
Kim Kardashian breaks down over Kanye West divorce (PageSix)
Kim Kardashian broke down in tears, telling her family she feels like a “failure” amid her crumbling marriage to Kanye West.
“I feel like a f–king failure, that it’s like, a third f–king marriage,” Kim said in a flashback clip during Thursday’s episode of “Keeping Up With the Kardashians.” “Yeah I feel like a f–king loser. But I can’t even think about that like, I want to be happy.”
Through tears, Kim — who was still with West at the time of filming — said the “All of the Lights” rapper deserved a woman who could follow him to another state while she raises their four kids.
“I honestly can’t do this anymore,” she said as she recapped a fight the estranged couple had to her sisters. “Why am I still in this like, place where I’m stuck for years? Like, he goes and moves to a different state, every year, I have to be together so I can raise the kids, you know? And he’s an amazing dad, he’s done an amazing job …”
She continued, “I think he deserves someone that can go support his every move, go follow him all over the place and move to Wyoming — I can’t do that. He should have a wife that supports his every move and travels with him and does everything.” Read more
Top German cleric asks to quit over Church sex abuse failures (BBC)
Germany’s top Roman Catholic cleric, Cardinal Reinhard Marx, has offered his resignation to the Pope over the Church’s child sexual abuse scandals.
“It is important to me to share the responsibility for the catastrophe of the sexual abuse by Church officials over the past decades,” he said in a letter to Pope Francis.
He is the Archbishop of Munich. The Pope is still considering his offer.
Pope Francis has sent two bishops to Cologne to investigate abuse cases. Read more
South Korean designer creates ‘Third Eye’ for ‘smartphone zombies’ (NYPost)
A South Korean industrial designer has come up with a satirical solution for “smartphone zombies” who can’t take their eyes away from their screen long enough to stop themselves walking into a wall or other obstacle.
Paeng Min-wook, 28, has developed a robotic eyeball he has dubbed “The Third Eye”, which obsessive mobile phone users can strap to their foreheads so they can browse injury-free on the go.
The device, part of an artwork Paeng has called “Phono Sapiens”, opens its translucent eyelid whenever it senses the user’s head has been lowered to look at a smartphone. When the user comes within one to two metres of an obstacle, the device beeps to warn of the impending danger.
“This is the look of future mankind with three eyes,” Paeng, a postgraduate in innovation design engineering at the Royal College of Art and Imperial College, told Reuters as he demonstrated use of The Third Eye around Seoul.
“As we cannot take our eyes off from smartphones, the extra eye will be needed in future.” Read more
OJ Simpson’s lawyer F Lee Bailey dies aged 87 (BBC)
F Lee Bailey, one of the defence lawyers in the 1995 murder trial of OJ Simpson, has died aged 87.
Mr Bailey defended a host of notorious clients, including the Boston Strangler and the US army commander at the My Lai massacre during the Vietnam War.
He was renowned for his dramatic style and his ability to throw reasonable doubt on the prosecution’s case.
But he was banned from practising law in two states and eventually filed for bankruptcy in 2016. Read more
“Oldest woman in the world” found at age of 124 while getting Covid vaccine (Metro)
India’s push to vaccinate its elderly population may just have uncovered the oldest woman on the planet.
According to reports in India, medics came across Rehtee Begum when they were going door-to-door to administer vaccines.
She gave her age as 124, a whopping seven years older than Kane Tanaka, a Japanese woman who has a verified age of 117.
In fact, 124 would make her two years older than Jeanne Calment, a French woman who died at 122 in 1997 who is officially recognised as the oldest ever. Read more
Paris Hilton sells memoir to imprint behind Jessica Simpson’s book (NYPost)
Paris Hilton has just sold a memoir to the same publisher as Jessica Simpson’s recent best-seller — William Morrow imprint Dey Street Books — Page Six has learned.
Simpson’s book came out in February 2020 and was a No. 1 best-seller.
Hilton shopped the memoir via lit agent Albert Lee at UTA, and the upcoming publication was acquired by Dey Street’s editorial director Carrie Thornton. Dey Street describes Hilton’s memoir as “both searingly honest and deeply personal” and adds, “Hilton will share the real Paris Hilton as her celebrity persona evolved.”
A publishing insider told us when the book was being shopped that it would try to capitalize on “the success of Jessica Simpson’s book, and nostalgia for early 2000s-era pop culture.”
Hilton previously put out a more fluffy 2004 book, “Confessions of an Heiress: A Tongue-in-Chic Peek Behind the Pose.” Read more
French Open: Yana Sizikova arrested amid match-fixing inquiry (BBC)
Russian tennis player Yana Sizikova has been arrested as part of an investigation into match-fixing at last year’s French Open.
The 26-year-old doubles specialist was detained on Thursday at this year’s tournament and is in custody in Paris.
Sizikova, who is ranked 101st in doubles, is yet to comment.
The investigation into alleged match-fixing was launched in October after suspicions of “organised fraud” and “sports corruption” were raised. Read more
Zlatan Ibrahimovic endorses AC Milan’s push to sign Chelsea striker Olivier Giroud (Metro)
Zlatan Ibrahimovic has endorsed AC Milan’s push to sign Chelsea striker Olivier Giroud.
The France international is set to leave the Champions League winners at the end of this month when his contract expires.
AC Milan are among the clubs who have registered their interest in signing the 34-year-old, while Roma and Inter have also been linked with a move.
And Ibrahimovic, who returned to AC Milan in 2019, is keen to see his side complete a deal for Giroud this summer. Read more
Knicks already calling about Damian Lillard after Blazers’ frustrating playoff exit (NYPost)
On April 30th, The Post reported the Knicks will monitor superstar point guard Damian Lillard’s situation in Portland this offseason.
The monitoring has begun – big time.
Soon after Lillard’s Trail Blazers were eliminated in the playoffs Wednesday night by Denver in six games, the former Weber State point guard posted a cryptic Instagram, citing lyrics from rapper Nipsey Hussle.
“How long should I stay dedicated? How long til opportunity meet preparation?”
The post came after Lillard’s press conference, in which he sounded despondent with the status quo after another first-round ouster in Portland. Read more
NBA play-off round-up: Reigning NBA champions Los Angeles Lakers lose in play-offs (BBC)
Reigning NBA champions the Los Angeles Lakers have suffered a shock first round play-offs defeat by the Phoenix Suns.
Devin Booker scored 47 points for the Suns as they sealed a 4-2 series win.
LeBron James scored 29 points for the Lakers, who are the first defending champions to lose at this stage since the San Antonio Spurs in 2015.
The result also marks the first time James has lost in the first round of the play-offs. Read more
LeBron James reacts to LA Lakers’ loss to Phoenix Suns (Metro)
LeBron James has suggested the Los Angeles Lakers’ playoff exit at the hands of the Phoenix Suns could be a blessing in disguise as the team look to get healthy again in the off-season, while he lauded Devin Booker.
The reigning NBA champions, who lost Anthony Davis to injury after just five minutes, were stunned on Thursday night as the Suns claimed a comfortable 113-100 victory at the Staples Centre to seal a 4-2 series win.
Incredibly, James had won his previous 14 first-round playoff series games – a record streak – but exited at the first hurdle for the very first time in his career, though he was relatively upbeat after the defeat.
Asked about his run ending, LeBron said: ‘Listen, as I tell you all throughout the season, every season is different, every challenge is different. Read more
Singapore Grand Prix cancelled as Formula 1 bosses assess replacement options (BBC)
The Singapore Grand Prix has been called off this year and Formula 1 is assessing its options to replace the race, BBC Sport can reveal.
F1 and the Singapore authorities agreed it will not be possible to hold the event in the context of immigration restrictions in the city state.
Other races later in 2021 could also fall prey to the coronavirus pandemic.Turkey, China and a second race at Austin in the USA are all under consideration as replacements. Read more