Lagos begins round two of emergency food response distribution (Guardian)
Following the conclusion of the first half of phase one distribution of emergency food response packages to 20 local councils and 37 local council development areas, Lagos State said it would soon start the second half of the food stimulus intervention.
The state’s Commissioner for Agriculture, Gbolahan Lawal, who disclosed this while reviewing the activities of the Committee on the COVID-19 Emergency Food Response, said that the targeted audience to be reached at the next phase are people living with disabilities, the elderly who had earlier received SMS from the Lagos State Resident Registration Agency (LASRRA), and vulnerable people within certain catchment communities and in the informal sector.
In a statement, he stated that the state government had reformed the strategy and approach of the distribution to reach the targeted people in next half of the intervention, adding that the reform was necessitated by the lessons learnt during the first half of the COVID-19 emergency food response. Read more
Fear grips medical workers as LUTH, UITH isolate 40 (Punch)
The Lagos University Teaching Hospital, Idi-Araba and the University of Ilorin Teaching Hospital have put no fewer than 40 health workers, including doctors and nurses, in isolation following their contact with people infected with COVID-19.
LUTH’s Chairman of the Medical Advisory Council, Prof Wasiu Adeyemo, on Tuesday told journalists that 12 workers of the health institution had gone into isolation.
According to him, the 12 workers might have had contact with a patient, who died of COVID-19 at the hospital last week.
At the UITH, 28 health workers are in isolation for coming in contact with an accountant, Muideen Obanimomo that died of COVID-19 in the hospital on Thursday. Read more
COVID 19: RCCG hands over medical equipment to Ogun Govt (Vanguard)
The Redeemed Christian Church of God (RCCG) on Tuesday handed over some medical equipment to the Ogun State government, as part of its contributions to the fight against coronavirus pandemic in the State.
Handing over the equipment on behalf of the General Overseer of the RCCG, Pastor Enoch Adejare Adeboye, at the Redemption Camp along Lagos Ibadan Expressway, the Assistant General Overseer, Administration and Personnel, Pastor Johnson Funso Odesola said the medical equipment was part of the contributions of the church leadership to government’s efforts to control the spread of COVID 19 in the State.
Items donated to the state government included two ventilators, two Intensive Care Unit bed (ICU), two Infusion pumps, one vital signs Monitor and one suctioning machine Read more
We almost starved to death during isolation, says suspected case (Guardian)
General Manager of Fancy Hotel, Owerri, Nnaemeka George, yesterday narrated how he and other people suspected to have contracted coronavirus almost died of starvation during their isolation period.
Nnaemeka was quarantined alongside 22 others for 14 days following the report that owner of the Hotel, Christogunus Osuagwu, who visited the facility before his died tested positive for COVID-19.
However, they were released last Saturday based on the medical report, which suggested that Osuagwu did not actually die of the virus, but from heart related illness resulting from gunshots he received from armed robbers a few years ago. Read more
Bauchi gov’s elder brother regains freedom, reunites with family – Police (Vanguard)
The Nigeria Police has said that the elder brother of Bauchi governor, Adamu Duguri has regained his freedom.
Public Relations Officer of Bauchi Command, Kamal Datti in a chat, made this known to newsmen on Tuesday.
He said, “With regards to your inquiries about this incident (kidnap of governor’s brother), I want to confirm to you that the victim has regained freedom and has reunited with his family today 7th April 2020.” Read more
FG knocks Oyakhilome for calling COVID-19 lockdown a scam (Punch)
The National Orientation Agency has berated Pastor Chris Oyakhilome, the founder and President of LoveWorld Incorporated, also known as Christ Embassy.
Paul Ogenyi, a spokesman for the NOA, an agency under the Federal Ministry of Information and Culture, described as unfortunate, Oyakhilome’s claim that the lockdown ordered by the Federal Government in Lagos and Abuja was a mere ruse to lay fibre optic cables in preparation for the launch of 5G technology.
In a chat with The PUNCH, Ogenyi said it was disheartening that while Pope Francis and other respected clerics worldwide were educating their followers on measures to fight COVID-19, Oyakhilome and his ilk were spreading speculations thereby misinforming the public. Read more
Seek debt reprieve over coronavirus, Atiku counsels Nigeria, others (Guardian)
Former Vice President Atiku Abubakar has charged Nigeria and other African nations affected by the COVID-19 pandemic to seek debt forgiveness from their creditors.
In a statement entitled, “What Africa must do to mitigate the damaging effects of coronavirus”, the Wazirin Adamawa held that Nigeria and others had a good case, as most of them had their index cases originating from outside.
Pointing out that even if the most populous black nation was able “to avoid a high human toll from this virus, we would not be able to escape a much higher economic toll.”
Atiku, who raised fears of a looming recession, cautioned that any attempt to devalue the naira would spell doom for the economy. Read more
Govt breaching Pension Reform Act – Labour (Vanguard)
Organised Labour has accused the Federal Government of breaching the Pension Reform Act, PFA, 2004, claiming the “Federal Government is yet to effectively implement the increase in 2014 amendment.”
Speaking through the National Union of Textile, Garment and Tailoring Workers of Nigeria, NUTGTWN, Organised Labour, equally lamented that most state governments have not joined the contributory pension scheme much less implementing the increase.
In a secretariat report presented to the delegates at the 12th Delegates’ Conference in Abuja, the union said “We are among the first private-sector unions to implement Pension Reform Act 2004, after extensive negotiations between the Union and the Textile Employers Association. Read more
NASENI unveils made-in-Nigeria ventilator (Guardian)
The National Agency for Science and Engineering Infrastructure (NASENI) yesterday launched the made-in Nigeria ventilator to boost the fight against the deadly coronavirus.
The Minister of State for Science and Technology, Abdullahi Mohammed, while commissioning the prototype, commended the agency for the initiative. Read more
Coronavirus: Twitter boss pledges $1bn for relief effort (BBC)
Jack Dorsey, the founder of Twitter and payment app Square, has said he will donate $1bn (£810m) towards efforts to tackle the coronavirus pandemic.
According to Mr Dorsey, the donation represented approximately 28% of his wealth.
He made the announcement on Twitter, writing that the “needs are increasingly urgent”.
Mr Dorsey did not lay out exactly where the funds would be sent to help in the battle against Covid-19.
In the US there is a shortage of ventilators and personal protective equipment, and business and individuals are also struggling economically. Read more
US federal agencies buy massive supply of hydroxychloroquine (NYPost)
Two federal agencies have placed orders for hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of the anti-malarial drug hydroxychloroquine — using taxpayer money — even as debate rages over its effectiveness in fighting the coronavirus, according to a new report.
The Department of Veterans Affairs and the Justice Department’s Bureau of Prisons have both reported purchases of the drug — which is also used to treat rheumatoid arthritis and lupus — since March 26, according to procurement records obtained by The Daily Beast.
Veterans Affairs purchased $168,000 in hydroxychloroquine sulfate tablets from the Colorado-based generic drug distributor Golden State Medical Supply, and an additional $40,000 from the pharmaceutical company McKesson, according to the report. Read more
Coronavirus warship row: Acting US Navy secretary resigns (BBC)
The acting secretary of the US Navy has resigned amid uproar over his handling of a coronavirus outbreak on an aircraft carrier.
Thomas Modly fired the USS Theodore Roosevelt’s captain after he pleaded for help in a letter leaked to media.
Mr Modly apologised on Monday after it emerged he had called Captain Brett Crozier’s actions “naive” and “stupid”.
The secretary’s exit comes a day after US President Donald Trump signalled he might get involved in the dispute. Read more
Prince Harry, Meghan Markle announce name of their new foundation: Archewell (PageSix)
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle on Monday revealed they have plans to start a new nonprofit organization called Archewell.
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex — who recently moved to Los Angeles to start a new life after relinquishing their roles as working members of the royal family — said they “look forward” to setting up the foundation.
Details about the project were first reported in the Daily Telegraph, which obtained paperwork the couple filed in the US last month showing they were looking to create their own charity, volunteering service and wide-ranging website. Read more
WHO warns of severe global shortage of nurses (VOA)
The World Health Organization warns a severe global shortage of nurses is putting the lives of millions of people at risk and is particularly worrisome at a time when the world is doing battle with the COVID-19 pandemic. To mark World Health Day, the first ever State of the World’s Nursing Report, produced jointly by WHO and the International Council of Nurses, is being launched.
Data from 191 countries show the critical work performed by nurses is frequently undervalued. Instead of celebrating their skills and compassion, the survey finds nurses too often are abused, subject to discrimination, and work long hours under stressful conditions for low pay. Read more
China reports no new coronavirus deaths for first time since january (VOA)
Chinese health officials reported no new deaths from the novel coronavirus outbreak over the last 24 hours, the first such report since January.
The National Health Commission said Tuesday that it only had 32 new confirmed cases of COVID-19, all of them from people who have returned from overseas.
The declining number of new cases and fatalities come as authorities in central Hubei province are making plans to further ease a mandatory quarantine in the city of Wuhan, where the new coronavirus was first detected late last year. Read more
Maeve Kennedy McKean’s body is recovered after canoe search (BBC)
The body of Maeve Kennedy McKean, granddaughter of assassinated presidential candidate Robert F Kennedy, has been found in Maryland.
The 40-year-old and her eight-year-old son were last seen on Thursday evening riding in a canoe off Chesapeake Bay.
After an extensive search operation, police said on Monday that her body had been found in water about 2.5 miles (4km) south of where they had set off.
Officials will continue looking for her missing son, Gideon, on Tuesday. Read more
European stock markets continue long-awaited rally (VOA)
Global markets are enjoying a second consecutive day of gains Tuesday with Europe’s major indexes in positive territory in mid-morning trading amid rising hope that the devastating effects of the coronavirus pandemic may be easing.
The FTSE in London has gained more than 2%, Paris’s CAC-40 is up nearly 3.5%, and the DAX in Frankfurt is up well over 4%.
Europe’s higher numbers continue Monday’s much-needed rally across the globe, capped by gains of 7% percent or more on Wall Street. Read more
FIFA bribe allegations raise more questions over 2022 World Cup (Vanguard)
The 2022 World Cup in Qatar has become the focus of fresh FIFA corruption allegations after the release of a new United States Department of Justice (DOJ) indictment.
The fresh indictment says bribes were paid to football officials to secure their votes for the 2022 hosting rights.
Suspicion and rumours have long surrounded both the 2010 vote by FIFA’s executive committee to hand the 2018 World Cup to Russia and the 2022 tournament to Qatar.
But on Monday, for the first time, prosecutors set direct, formal allegations down in print. Read more
Tottenham remind players of responsibilities over social distancing during coronavirus lockdown (BBC)
Tottenham have reminded their players of their responsibilities during the coronavirus lockdown after social media posts appeared to show some failing to follow social-distancing guidelines.
Manager Jose Mourinho was pictured holding a training session with Tanguy Ndombele on Hadley Common, while Davinson Sanchez and Ryan Sessegnon were pictured running together through the same London park.
Serge Aurier posted a video of himself on Instagram jogging alongside another person.
The Premier League has been suspended since March because of the pandemic.
A spokesperson for Tottenham said: “All of our players have been reminded to respect social distancing when exercising outdoors.
“We shall continue to reinforce this message.” Read more
La Liga eyeing May return, says league boss Tebas (Guardian)
La Liga could return to action as early as next month, its president Javier Tebas said on Tuesday, as the league awaits a chance to restart following the coronavirus shutdown.
Tebas also warned Spanish clubs could lose as much as one billion euros ($1.1 billion) if the season is not completed, pushing football bosses in the country to search for a late finish to the current campaign.
“The different scenarios we have been looking at with UEFA to go back to competing are most probably starting on the May 28-29 June 6-7 or June 28-29,” Tebas said. Read more
Qatar, Russia deny buying World Cup rights (Vanguard)
Qatar and Russia hit back at allegations of bribery on Tuesday after US prosecutors accused them of paying millions in bribes for the rights to host the 2018 and 2022 tournaments.
According to US Justice Department documents released Monday, FIFA officials received bribes to vote in favour of awarding the 2018 World Cup to Russia and the 2022 tournament to Qatar.
Doha said it “strongly denies the allegations contained within the court papers” while the Kremlin said it “absolutely legally got the right” to host the 2018 global football spectacle. Read more
FA chairman Greg Clarke: English football could ‘lose clubs and leagues’ (BBC)
English football faces “the danger of losing clubs and leagues” amid economic challenges “beyond the wildest imagination”, says Football Association chairman Greg Clarke.
The season has been halted indefinitely amid the ongoing coronavirus pandemic.
Some club have placed non-playing staff on temporary leave, while talks continue over the salaries of players.
“Many communities could lose the clubs at their heart with little chance of resurrection,” said Clarke. Read more
UFC getting private island to hold weekly fights amid coronavirus crisis (NYPost)
If you didn’t fully grasp just how desperate Dana White is to run UFC fights amid the coronavirus pandemic, you will now.
UFC 249 might actually happen
Not only is UFC 249 set to happen on April 18, but White says he is getting a private island so he can run fights every week, including with international fighters who currently cannot enter the US because of travel restrictions.
“I’m a day or two away from securing a private island. I have a private island that I’ve secured,” the UFC president told TMZ. “ Read more
Ronnie O’Sullivan sends well done message to China for handling of coronavirus crisis (Metro)
Ronnie O’Sullivan has sent a message of congratulations to the Chinese people for their handling of the coronavirus crisis and thanked them for their help in other countries during the pandemic. The five-time world champion is out of action at the moment, like all other snooker professionals, with tournaments postponed due to the global health crisis, and no events now scheduled till at least July. The Rocket has used some of his time to send a message to the people of China of encouragement, congratulations and thanks. Read more
Russia denies bribing FIFA officials to host 2018 World Cup (Punch)
The Kremlin on Tuesday “categorically” denied allegations that Russia had bribed FIFA officials for the right to host the 2018 World Cup.
“Russia absolutely legally got the right to organise the World Cup,” Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov told reporters.
He said the decision was “not linked to any bribes, we categorically deny this.”
“Russia organized the best football World Cup in history. We are proud of it,” he added. Read more