A building on Market Street, off Ijesha, in Surulere, Lagos, housing nine apartments and 12 shops, was on Saturday evening, gutted by fire, caused by a faulty cooking gas valve that exploded, according to the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency (LASEMA).
In a post-disaster evaluation, Dr Olufemi Oke-Osanyintolu, the agency’s Director General, disclosed on Sunday that no life was, however, lost in the blaze owing to the quick appearance of LASEMA as first responders.
“The bungalow property comprised nine rooms, including 12 shops was extensively damaged. The agency worked alongside the Lagos State Fire Service to extinguish the fire and the operation was concluded in just under two hours on Saturday.
“The entire building has been destroyed and will require integrity testing by the Lagos State Building Control Agency LABSCA, while the building has been cordoned off accordingly,” Oke-Osanyintolu said. (Vanguard)