Shanties at the Ebute Meta area of Lagos State are currently on fire.
The PUNCH gathered that hundreds of structures were affected.
Eyewitnesses told our correspondent that the fire started Wednesday morning at Kano by Coates Street, near Okobaba sawmill.
It was also learnt that many residents were injured.
Though details of the fire outbreak are sketchy as of the time of filing this report, firefighters and emergency responders have arrived at the scene of the incident.
The Coucillor representing the affected area in the Lagos Mainland Local Government legistative arm, Saka Olamilekan, estimated the number of affected shanties as 2,000.
He noted that the fire started from the room of a resident who was cooking.
Olamilekan said, “At least 2,000 plank houses will be affected. Also, three building buikt with blocks were burnt. The fire started a few minutes past 10am from the room of a resident who was cooking.
“The residents made attempt to put out the fire but their efforts weren’t successful.
“I recommend that when they are rebuilding again, there should be more spaces between the buildings.” (Punch)