My ex-husband stalking me, Korra Obidi alleges (Nation)
Internet sensation and dancer Korra Obidi has accused her chiropractic ex-husband, Justin Dean of stalking her.
A lot has recently been going on between her family and estranged husband, one of which was her father and sister affirming that she will win the case over Justin Dean.
In the video shared by the dancer, Justin called in the police to check on their second child Athena because, he had accused Korra of mishandling the child which led to her falling down. Read more
Anger as LASTMA officials clamp down on motorists with trumped-up charges (Punch)
A distraught-looking Moses Salami was seen limping and pacing along the corridor of the Lagos State Traffic Management Authority around 2:55pm under the scorching sun on Friday, September 2, 2022.
The 72-year-old commercial bus driver needed someone who would either help him add N3,500 to the N11,500 with him so he could retrieve his bus or assist in talking to one of the LASTMA officials who had arrested him, impounded his vehicle and asked him to pay a sum of N15,000.
Having watched him roam helplessly while his bus conductor trailed after him for close to thirty minutes, our correspondent decided to approach him. Salami, who saw this as an opportunity he had been waiting for, did not waste time as he started narrating his ordeals.
Moses, who plies Idumota to Oshodi, said the officials stopped him and claimed to have snapped him at Ojuelegba bus stop for violating traffic rules. Although shocked by the allegation, Salami said he demanded for the picture but his request was rebuffed. Read more
Army mourns General crushed to death by corporal in Lagos (Channels)
The Nigerian Armed Forces Resettlement Centre (NAFRC), Oshodi in Lagos has sympathised with the family of its late Director of Finance, Brigadier-General Audu James.
He died on Monday after he was hit by a corporal identified as Abayomi Edun.
The Public Relations Officer of NAFRC, Lieutenant Commander Bukola Jonathan, told journalists on Friday that the incident was being investigated. The NAFRC spokesman conveyed the centre’s deepest condolences and sympathy to the family, the Nigerian Army and friends of the general.
“The late Brigadier-General OA James was having a walk back to his residence when a Toyota Highlander with registration number EKY-177-FX knocked him down resulting in an instant death,” Jonathan said. Read more
Yabatech announces activities to mark 34th joint convocation (Independent)
Seven thousand, five hundred fifty four graduates of Yaba College of Technology (YABATECH) bagged the National and Higher National Diplomas during the college’s 34th convocation.
Rector of the college, Engr. Obafemi Omokungbe, announced this at a press conference that was held at the Senate Chamber of the institution heralding activities for the college’s 34th joint convocation.
The rector explained that the joint convocation for the graduating class of 2018/2019, 2019/2020 and 2020/2021 academic sessions would witness the presentation of the Ordinary National Diploma (OND) and the Higher National Diploma (HND) to deserving graduates of the college found worthy in learning and character, saying the pandemic was responsible for the three combined events in one.
He announced that the week-long programme that would have the Minister of Education, Malam Adamu Adamu, as the distinguished guest of honour, and it will commence on Friday, November 18, 2022 with the Jumat Service at 1.30pm and an interdenominational thanksgiving service on Sunday, November 20, 2022, at 4:00 p.m. Read more
Why I hired friends to kill my stepmother’ (Nation)
Twenty-year-old Ekenedilichukwu Okeke on Friday confessed to be responsible for the gruesome murder of his stepmother, Mrs. Theresa Okeke in Awka, Anambra State.
Okeke, an accountant with the National Population Commission (NPC), was reportedly strangled to death on September 28, 2022 in her residence, No. 4 Umuziocha, Awka.
But the suspect, while being paraded by Police with 19 others at the State Criminal Investigation Department, Amawbia, said he took the decision of killing the deceased to enable her withdraw N1million from her phone.
He said he had to hire his friends to assist him carry out the act, shortly after the deceased, who had been assisting him in paying his fees, insisted he must leave her house over a misunderstanding. Read more
Alleged N544m fraud: Court frees ex-SGF Lawal, others (Nation)
A High Court of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) in Maitama has discharged and acquitted the former Secretary to the Government of the Federation (SGF), Babachir Lawal and five others accused of complicity in an alleged N544million contract fraud.
The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) had, in a 10-count charge, accused Lawal and the other five of defrauding the Federal Government to the tune of N544m in relation the contract for the removal of evasive plant species awarded by the Presidential Initiative for North East (PINE).
Justice Charles Agbaza, in a ruling on Friday, upheld the no-case submissions made by the defendants and held that the prosecution failed to establish a prima facie case against Lawal and others to warrant their being called upon to enter defence.
Justice Agbaza added that the prosecution failed, through its 11 witnesses, to establish ingredients of any of the offences charged. Read more
Ex-convict breaks into LASG fire service, steals valve (Punch)
An ex-convict, Yakub Yusuf, has been arrested for breaking into the premises of the Lagos State Fire Service to steal the valve cover of old fire trucks under repairs in the state.
The state Police Public Relations Officer, SP Benjamin Hundeyin, in a statement on Thursday, said Yusuf was arrested 10 days after a nongovernmental organisation facilitated his release from prison by paying the fine.
He added that operatives of Rapid Response Squad arrested the ex- convict on Saturday morning hours after he was released from prison, adding that he had been transferred to the State Criminal Investigation Department for further investigation and prosecution. Read more
NBS Report: Insecurity, energy crises plunge 133m Nigerians into poverty (DailyTrust)
The federal government has disclosed that 133 million Nigerians are living in poverty. This represents 63 per cent of the over 200 million people in the country.
Daily Trust reports that the measure used to calculate the figure was based on the Multidimensional Poverty Index (MPI) with four components of health, living standard, education, security and unemployment.
Previously, the measures used to determine the country’s poverty were through the monetary poverty indices, which calculate the number of people living below the US dollar.
Daily Trust report that insecurity occasioned by Boko Haram in the North East, banditry in North West, farmers/herders crisis in North Central, insurrection in South East, oil bunkering and militancy in the South South and sundry crimes in South West have collectively stunted socio economic activities in Nigeria. Read more
America’s Got Talent’s Roslyn Singleton dies aged 39 after brain cancer battle (Metro)
Roslyn Singleton has died at the age of 39 after battling brain cancer since 2013, her husband Ray Singleton confirmed.
He shared a montage of images of the America’s Got Talent star on Instagram, telling her followers: ‘Our wife earned her wings yesterday while peacefully sleeping right at home where she wanted to be.
‘This road ahead is going to be INCREDIBLY long & difficult! She taught us all SOMETHING…She’s where we’re all trying to get one day so no need to be sad!
‘Now we celebrate her legacy, her impact, her story & HER SPIRIT! She will LIVE FOREVER!! #LongLiveRos #F**kCancer.’ Read more
Mary J. Blige to release debut children’s book Mary Can! in 2023 (Billboard)
Of her many accolades, Mary J. Blige can soon add “children’s book author” to her already impressive list of achievements. The “Just Fine” singer shared the news about her debut effort on Instagram on Wednesday (Nov. 16) and revealed that story — which will be published by HarperCollins next year — is titled Mary Can! and reflects her personal struggles while growing up.
“Mary Can! is an inspirational and motivating story about a young girl who proves that anyone can make their dreams come true if they just believe in themselves,” Blige captioned the book’s official cover art, which features an illustration of a young Black girl sitting in front of a brownstone building and drawing in green sidewalk chalk.
“It’s such a personal story for me, based on my own experiences as a child and even as an adult. I was so used to people telling me ‘no’ and that I ‘couldn’t’ which only motivated me more,” the 51-year-old singer continued. “My hope with this book is that it instills in kids from an early age that they can do anything they aspire to do. There are no limits to what they can accomplish!” Read more
Pierce Brosnan shares ”blessing” baby news as he becomes grandfather to 4th child (Mirror)
Pierce Brosnan shared his delight after some baby news, hailing it as a “blessing”.
The Golden Eye actor, 69, announced the birth of his fourth “dearest” grandchild after revealing his son Sean and daughter-in-law Sanja Banic welcomed their second child.
He posted a snap of the couple’s new baby boy Jaxxon and penned a heartfelt message to his “darling” family on his Instagram.
Alongside two pictures of little Jaxxon, proud Pierce wrote: “Jaxxon Elijah Brosnan, born 3:06 pm 11/12/22… all good blessings to you my dearest grandson, welcome.” Read more
Chris Hemsworth hints at Thor farewell (FilmNews)
Chris Hemsworth has claimed that the next ‘Thor’ film will “probably be the finale” for his character.
The 39-year-old star has played the God of Thunder in the Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU) for over a decade but thinks the time has come to bid farewell to his alter ego.
Speaking to Vanity Fair magazine, Chris said: “I feel like we’d probably have to close the book if I ever did it again, you know what I mean? I feel like it probably warrants that.
“I feel like it’d probably be the finale, but that’s not based on anything anyone’s told me or any sort of plans. Read more
Jacquees taps Future, 21 Savage and more for new album (HipHopDX)
Future, 21 Savage and more are set to appear on Jacquees‘ new album Sincerely for You, out next month.
Scheduled for release on December 16 via Cash Money Records, the singer’s upcoming project will include 17 tracks with other features from Tory Lanez, 6LACK, Summer Walker, Dreezy and John P. Kee.
In addition to making a guest appearance, Future is also listed as one of the executive producers of the album alongside Birdman, Ronald “Slim” Williams and Jacquees himself.
“This is sincerely for you, you, you , you and you and everybody who has been there for me along the way!” Jacquees wrote on Instagram. “Thank y’all so much , thank you God my family, friends and FANS, MY TEAM and of course @birdman And Slim and the entire @cashmoneyofficial @republicrecords & Everyone who did a song with me for this album…i appreciate that it go a long way with me that’s love forever they tried to count me out !!! Read more
Swedish investigation confirms Nord Stream pipeline blasts as sabotage (RFI)
Swedish officials confirmed on Friday that the September blasts which destroyed sections of the Nord Stream pipelines carrying natural gas from Russia to Germany under the Baltic Sea were acts of sabotage.
The investigators found traces of explosives on several foreign objects at the sites of the blasts, Stockholm prosecutor Mats Ljungqvist said in a statement.
Ljungqvist, who is leading the preliminary investigation, added that technical analyses were continuing in order to “draw more reliable conclusions regarding the incident.”
Sweden’s Prosecution Authority said that the “continued investigation will show if anyone can be formally suspected of a crime.” Read more
George Clooney is peak George Clooney as he reunites with Jean Dujardin in cheeky Nespresso advert (Metro)
George Clooney has made a triumphant return to the world of coffee, appearing in his first Nespresso commercial in four years.
The famous actor, 61, has been the face of the coffee company for almost a decade, appearing in commercials for them since 2013.
His last appearance came alongside Game of Thrones’ Natalie Dormer, with Clooney portraying a medieval knight in search of the perfect coffee.
Now he’s back sharing the screen with actor Jean Dujardin after the pair last appeared together for Nespresso in 2014. Read more
FIFA confirms alcohol ban at Qatar W’Cup stadiums (Punch)
World Cup organisers have banned the sale of alcohol around stadiums in Qatar after last-minute showdown talks, FIFA announced on Friday.
FIFA confirmed that sales of alcoholic beverages would be banned at the stadiums except for zero-alcohol beer, Bud Zero.
In a statement posted on its Twitter page, FIFA Media said, “Following discussions between host country authorities and FIFA, a decision has been made to focus the sale of alcoholic beverages on the FIFA Fan Festival, other fan destinations and licensed venues, removing sales points of beer from Qatar’s FIFA World Cup 2022 stadium perimeters.
“There is no impact to the sale of Bud Zero which will remain available at all Qatar’s World Cup stadiums. Read more
Henry Nwosu: Lagos SWAN applauds Governor Sanwo-Olu (Sun)
Lagos State Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu has been commended by the leadership and entire body of the Lagos State Sports Writers Association of Nigeria for taking responsibility for former Nigerian international, Henry Nwosu’s treatment.
A statement released by leadership of the body led by Debo Oshundun, said the noble gesture is a testament to the government’s policy towards sports development and recognition of the labours of past heroes.
“The last few weeks had been troubling for us when we heard about the predicament of Nwosu, also a friend of Lagos SWAN. Through the reports of our members, we have drawn attention to his plight and elicited responses.”
“We sincerely thank the Lagos State Government led by His Excellency, Babajide Sanwo-Olu for volunteering to take up the full cost of his medical bills as a way of saying thank you to Nwosu who brought smiles to the faces of Nigerians as a player and coach.” Read more
Gary Neville reacts to news Manchester United are considering sacking Cristiano Ronaldo (MEN)
Manchester United great Gary Neville has claimed that “it didn’t need to be like this” after news emerged that the club are considering sacking Cristiano Ronaldo following his interview with Piers Morgan.
The second and final part of Ronaldo’s interview with Morgan aired on Thursday night, as United got the full picture of the range of accusations and comments the 37-year-old made. The club are now considering sacking and suing Ronaldo for a possible breach of contract in the wake of his remarks.
The club released a statement on Friday saying that they have “initiated appropriate steps” following the conclusion of Ronaldo’s interview with Morgan. The former Real Madrid man claimed he had “no respect” for Erik ten Hag, while also criticising his former teammates and the current generation of youth players in a wide-ranging string of scathing statements.
Ronaldo particularly took issue with Neville, as he claimed that the former United captain was only criticising him to become “more famous”. Read more
Francis Joseph: Former Wimbledon and Brentford striker dies aged 62 (BBC)
Former Brentford and Wimbledon striker Francis Joseph has died at the age of 62.
He was the first black player to represent Wimbledon and he scored on his debut against Darlington in 1980.
Francis was voted Player of the Year after his maiden season at Wimbledon and went on to make more than 50 appearances for the Dons over two spells – scoring 16 goals.
He joined Brentford in 1982 and scored 44 goals in 110 matches. Read more
Carlos Alcaraz makes admission after finishing ranked ahead of Rafael Nadal (TennisWorld)
Carlos Alcaraz admits it is pretty special for him to finish as the Year-End No 1 and revealed he would have been “happy'” even if Rafael Nadal finished the year ranked ahead of him. After Rafael Nadal picked up his second defeat at the ATP Finals and lost his chances of qualifying for the semifinal, Alcaraz secured the Year-End No 1 spot.
On Wednesday night in Turin, Alcaraz received the Year-End No 1 trophy. Alcaraz isn’t competing in Turin because an abdominal injury forced him to withdraw from the tournament. “It’s incredible that for so many years it was Federer, Nadal, Djokovic, or Murray, and then a 19-year-old ‘Chico’ comes along and succeeds in this.
It means so much to me. Being a part of tennis history alongside these legends is just an incredible feeling. All my life, I have gone with Rafa and here also, I wanted him to win. Even if he had taken the number 1 from me, I would have been happy. Read more
F1 Academy: Formula 1’s new all-female driver series for 2023 (F1i)
F1 has revealed the launch in 2023 of a new all-female driver series, F1 Academy, that will develop young female drivers for the upper echelons of international single-seater racing.
The Formula 4-level series will feature a fifteen-car grid that will consist of five current F2 or F3 teams entering three cars each.
The series’ first season is set to include seven race weekends, with three races making up each event’s schedule. A total of 21 races will therefore take place, but the series will also feature 15 days of official testing evolving around a calendar that has yet to be released.
“During assessments of the barriers young female drivers face with entering the F1 pyramid, it became clear that they do not have the same amount of experience as their male counterparts at the same age,” read a statement from F1. Read more