The English Premier League has contested Newcastle United’s assertion that a Saudi-led takeover of the club had been rejected, saying on Thursday it could still proceed if further information on the proposed new owners is provided.
Newcastle on Wednesday said the league leadership had not “acted appropriately” regarding the takeover that would have seen Saudi Arabia’s Public Investment Fund (PIF) acquire an 80 percent stake in the northeast English club.
Saudi Arabia’s de facto leader, Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman (MBS), is chairman of the PIF.
“The Premier League was disappointed and surprised by the Newcastle United Football Club statement,” the league said in a statement. “The club’s assertion that the Premier League has rejected the takeover is incorrect.” (Aljazeera)