Following the spate of mass kidnapping of students in the northern part of the country, governments of southwestern states have activated structures to tighten security around their schools.
There are fears that the influx of youths from the north into the southwest in the last one year could worsen the current isolated cases of insecurity in parts of the region. Reports from each of the southwest states showed that both formal and informal security outfits are being strengthened to ward off possible serious security breaches that manifested in the mass abductions in the north.
We’re working with security agencies, school owners –Lagos govt
The Lagos State government said it had taken measures to ensure that the kidnapping of students happening in the north of the country does not occur in the state.
The Commissioner for Information and Strategy, Mr Gbenga Omotoso, who disclosed this while speaking on telephone to Saturday Tribune, said the state government had been proactive in protecting its schools and had now gone a step further to see that, whether public or private, protection was provided for schools.
The commissioner, who recalled that a similar thing occurred in the state a couple of years ago, said some of the measures were not such that could be put on the pages of newspapers.
He, however, gave the assurance that the state was on top of ensuring that schools in the state do not fall prey to such incidents anymore. Omotoso said: “Even before now, Lagos State has been doing a lot to protect the schools in the state. A couple of years ago, we had an incident, if you will remember. Since that time, the Lagos State government has been proactive in protecting its schools and it has now gone a step further to see that whether public or private, we have to provide protection for them. (Tribune)