In a significant move to mitigate the effects of fuel subsidy removal on Nigerian citizens and reduce energy costs, President Bola Tinubu has given his approval for the establishment of the transformative Presidential Compressed Natural Gas Initiative (PCNGI).
With the aim of revolutionising the transportation sector within the country, the PCNGI has set its sights on introducing over 11,500 new CNG-enabled vehicles and providing 55,000 CNG conversion kits for existing petroleum-dependent vehicles. This groundbreaking effort is aligned with the President’s directive to promote local manufacturing, assembly, and job creation.
Central to the PCNGI’s strategy is the Comprehensive Adoption Strategy, encompassing several key points. One of the prime focuses is the Empowering Workshops Programme, coupled with the creation of a nationwide network of workshops. This network is expected to initiate local assembly, encourage job growth, and ultimately lead to a marked reduction in transit expenses for the general public in the immediate term.
In a bid to ensure the seamless integration of CNG utility throughout the nation’s energy value chain, the PCNGI plans to roll out workshops across all geopolitical zones and states. These workshops will be equipped with essential kits and comprehensive training for newly hired staff, consequently providing valuable opportunities for technical skill enhancement and job creation for Nigerians.
The strategic objectives set out by the PCNGI encompass various aspects:
– Development of new stakeholder-operated Intrastate Mass Transit systems based on CNG.
– Support for states to incorporate CNG buses into their Intrastate Mass Transit networks through wholesale conversion, retro-fitting, and new purchases.
– Deployment of CNG buses in collaboration with existing Private Mass Transit operators, supplemented by innovative asset finance programs.
– Encouragement of investments in CNG processing, distribution, and utilisation through incentives for enhanced collaboration and funding.
– Delivery of training and technology transfer to support the After-Sales Services and maintenance sub-industry, resulting in sustainable job creation.
President Tinubu’s commitment to local assembly of CNG-enabled vehicles is anticipated to stimulate economic growth, create employment opportunities, and reinforce the nation’s automotive manufacturing capabilities.
This initiative’s launch further underscores the administration’s dedication to fostering a cleaner environment by curbing carbon emissions and advancing energy security through the utilisation of domestic natural gas resources.
Ajuri Ngelale, Special Adviser to the President on Media & Publicity, expressed that the PCNGI’s launch on August 18, 2023, signifies a pivotal step toward revolutionising the transportation sector and positively impacting Nigeria’s economic and environmental landscape.