Property worth millions of naira was yesterday destroyed by fire at the bar section, reception and some rooms of the Excel Oriental Hotel on Airport Road, Ikeja, Lagos State.
The fire, which started at about 4:30p.m. was said to have completely razed down the bar. The Guardian gathered that the fire was caused by an electric spark at the bar area of the hotel.
The Managing Director of the hotel, Mr. Osun Segun, described the incident as unfortunate, stating that the fire didn’t affect the entirety of the hotel, but rather the bar and some rooms. He added that the management was on top the situation to restore normalcy and resume operation in earnest, just as he profusely apologized to guests lodging in the hotel, many of whom were seen clutching to their belonging and leaving in groups.
A guest who lost his all his property said he flew in from London some hours before the incident only to meet the fire tragedy just when he was about to relax from the jet lag. “I am so traumatized and not in the best position to speak because I just flew in from London this afternoon to be with my family in Nigeria,” he said. Read more